Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Stock finishing

Boolit Master

Stock finishing

Hello all,

I have a nice light piece of maple I'm using for a stock on a 36 cal Kentucky long rifle.

What would be a good finish that would stay light colored ?

Thanks,
    Ross
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just a clear oil finish.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I've had good results in maple using Formbys tung oil. Boiled linseed works well to, but I stick with the Formbys. Doesn't seem to blotch or yellow, or darken.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Unless it has changed Formby's is NOT tung oil. Go to a WoodCraft store, or online, and get pure tung oil. Cut it 50% with the real thinner, not the white stuff, and sand that in with 320 or finer paper - Maple does not really have pores to fill. Let it soak in, 15min or so, and wipe the excess. The next day rub in another coat. Do this for about a week, or as many coats as you want. Each day it will get thicker as the thinner gasses off. By the time you are done you will likely be close to 75% tung oil.

Tung oil completely polmerizes - it is the only wood finish oil other than Walnut oil that does.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I use a lot of tung oil to finish stocks and love it. It will be clear and won't yellow like Truoil. However, in the case of the pure tung oil I have (Hope's), you have to live a long time waiting for it to dry. Instead, I use polymerized tung oil from Sutherlands which dries fairly quickly. I dislike BLO and refuse to use it.
    Phil

In Remembrance
    I mix Tung Oil and Mineral Spirits half and half and sand it in for the first few coats.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Unless it has changed Formby's is NOT tung oil. Go to a WoodCraft store, or online, and get pure tung oil. Cut it 50% with the real thinner, not the white stuff, and sand that in with 320 or finer paper - Maple does not really have pores to fill. Let it soak in, 15min or so, and wipe the excess. The next day rub in another coat. Do this for about a week, or as many coats as you want. Each day it will get thicker as the thinner gasses off. By the time you are done you will likely be close to 75% tung oil.

Tung oil completely polmerizes - it is the only wood finish oil other than Walnut oil that does.
    Mostly true. Tung oil is not the most durable or moisture-resistant, though. MinWax Wipe-On Poly is one of the most durable, and WILL completely polymerize. Also easier to get, and 'way cheaper. I used it for 15 years as a professional furniture maker, and never a complaint.

I have always thought and read that tung oil was the most water resistant of any of the curing oils. Probably isn't as durable as poly but I have never been happy with poly on gunstocks.
    Phil

Boolit Bub
    I use and like "Finnish Mix", a homebrew mix of 1/3 Beeswax, 1/3 REAL Turpentine, and 1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil. Use a double boiler to melt and mix the components. (I use a $1 garage sale stick mixer.)

It will build up after several coats, but I like the natural feel of the "tack" it gives when not fully buffed out. If you want it to soak in more, use a little heat and let it cool and dry before buffing. YMMV

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 22cf45 View Post
    I have always thought and read that tung oil was the most water resistant of any of the curing oils. Probably isn't as durable as poly but I have never been happy with poly on gunstocks.
    Phil
    Perhaps you haven't tried the satin version of the Wipe-On Poly? It never cures glossy or slick. And frustratingly, tung oil is one of the poorest in resisting moisture.

Here are some of reasons I have thought tung oil to be a good barrier against moisture/water (and I know its true because I read it on the internet):
    From Woodwork Details: "Tung oil provides a relatively hard surface finish that, as long as the surface integrity is intact, provides a waterproof finish..."
    From Rocklers: "Tung oil is one of the most water resistant of cuing oils and has a centuries-long history of use as a final finish"
    From Ross Laird on use of tung oil in marine applications: "Tung oil (especially if polymerized) is the most resilient of the oil finishes, and if applied in several coats – enough to build a thin film"

Now with all that said, I have no doubt Wipe-On Poly is even more water resistant and more durable, however, I think if one were to need to make any repairs to the stock, tung oil will be considerably more friendly.
    FWIW
    Phil

Boolit Bub
    About ten or twelve years ago Fine Woodworking magazine tested all the finishes then available to the general public. That did not include the pre-catalyzed finishes which industry uses and which have a 14-day shelf life (!) after they leave the supplier. It was a double-blind test. They found that the Minwax Wipe-On Poly (and one other poly formulation) was the most durable, both in moisture resistance and scratch resistance, of finishes which could be practically used. The petroleum-based wax coating (like used in canning) was the most moisture-resistant, but impractical for general use. Those results agreed with U.S. government tests conducted some years previous, but before the Minwax had appeared. Tung oil certainly has the reputation of durability, but it was disproved by those tests. And that was before everyone agreed that everything on the internet was true. One other point is that a tung oil finish is not easier to repair than the poly I mention, which I can verify in my own business. Old habits certainly die hard.

Boolit Master

My gunsmith repaired my Tung Oil finished stock; I know where, but no one else can find the repair.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Polyurethane and other urethane finishes are always gonna beat an oil finish in water proofness and in wear, it is a given with the differences in chemical makeup. If it is a question of tung oil or BLO I'll take the tung oil any day. Depends on the look you want.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I have some info to work with now.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.