Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotshell Reloading Question

Boolit Mold

Shotshell Reloading Question

So I bought a Lee Load All II to see if I'd like the shotshell reloading. The primer feeder they used to sell for it is now discontinued and I can't find a replacement. Any suggestions? Sorry I'm really new to this stuff. I have the Lee classic turret for pistol/rifle, I don't have a hand held primer tool.

Boolit Master
    I would look for a used MEC 600 and toss the Lee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

You just pick up a primer, set it in the middle of the red plastic disk and prime.
    I don't have the primer feeder either.
    Good luck
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Anyone using the Lee will get to quickly dislike reloading shotshells, get the MEC.

Boolit Master
    Keep an eye on craigslist. I've found many MECs in good shape over the years for $50-$75
    Given to friends and family. They are the better choice if you can be patient and have the extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pima View Post
    So I bought a Lee Load All II to see if I'd like the shotshell reloading. The primer feeder they used to sell for it is now discontinued and I can't find a replacement. Any suggestions? Sorry I'm really new to this stuff. I have the Lee classic turret for pistol/rifle, I don't have a hand held primer tool.
    Hi Pima,
    The primer feeder for the Load-All isn't really a time saver. You'll be able to do just about as well hand feeding the primers. While they're not the speediest machines, once you get the hang of it you'll be able to produce some nice shells with your Load-All. After many years with nothing but a Load-All, I finally took the plunge and bought a MEC, but I still use the Load-All for certain loads. Check out YouTube for a Canadian gent whose channel name is something like 314299--he has a few good (objective) videos about Load-Alls.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    I would look for a used MEC 600 and toss the Lee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing against Lee, but a used MEC 600 or 650 is loads better and is easily found.
    Which guage are you loading for? If your shooting clay the 650 is a better fit, if loading Buckshot or slugs the 600 will serve you well.

Boolit Master
    The primer feeder was more trouble than it was worth , just use your fingers to drop a primer in the hole was the best advice . One nice thing about the lee is you get all the assorted powder and shot bushings in a little box for the cost of 2-3 Mec bushings .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    You just pick up a primer, set it in the middle of the red plastic disk and prime.
    I don't have the primer feeder either.
    Good luck
    Right...

I have Lee for all gauges except the 410 and 10 gauge (don't know if they ever made one of those)...

I loaded a good many hulls for hunting purposes. I don't know how it would be for volume reloading...

I loaded specialty shotgun shells by actually measuring and weighing charges/shot...

Good-luck...BCB

Got to agree with the MEC advice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Anyone using the Lee will get to quickly dislike reloading shotshells, get the MEC.
    Or a Ponsness Warren...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine used a Load-All for 12ga and turned out some excellent rounds, as good in every way as my 366. A used MEC 600 is OK (owned a few, also a 650, and a SizeMaster), if you want a real used sleeper that loads perfect rounds, look for a DL-155 (Pacific), nice well made unit that uses Hornady bushings, they show up on Ebay quite often.

Boolit Bub
    I've used the Lee Loadall, and the Mec. I won't say the Lee was bad, but it was slow and not flexible for varying load requirements. Particularly crimps were difficult with some hulls. That is what convinced me to buy a Mec. The lee is a good tool to try shot shell reloading for a minimal investment.

I never used the primer feed myself. Mine tended to jam, so I just dropped primers one at a time. This is not an issue for a single stage press since most people will load one hull at a time from beginning to end before moving to the next.

I would just use the machine as is until you decide that it doesn't suit your needs, then pass it on to the next aspiring reloader.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
    jld_in_IA
    John

Boolit Bub
    It really depends on how many shells you need but for starters Mec is affordable and hard to beat. If and when you get into progressive loaders you will have many options.

Boolit Master
    Load slugs and buck shot with the Lee. When loading a large amount of shells use the MEC.
    A Lood All is a good place to start. Had the auto feed, did not work, just install primers one at a time.
    Loaded a lot of 20 gauge for my sons when they were young, all the 20 gauges are with the grown sons and their children.

I have a Lyman Easy loader all setup and working well for 12 ga. Nice solid crimps, I did cheat a little as it appears to be no longer possible to get shot and powder bushings.

The reloader has independant bars for shot and powder. So for powder I compared dimensions of a cheap Mec Skeet bar. Seemed incidental. So I ventured 8$ on it and a handful of powder bushings. On the back side a self tapping screw stops the bar from going to far forward. In the shot hole I have a piece of steel taped in place so I can remove the bar from either front or back.

I have slowly been filling up my stock of mec powder bushings.

I have however been considering buying a Lee Loader for 20 Ga. I do not shoot it a lot but it would be nice to be able to load some #4 buckshot, and some punkin balls for it.

I was looking at BPI yesterday. Hulls were 12 $ per hundred, wads were 9$ for 250, and I could pick up a couple of pounds of whatever powder I wanted for fairly reasonable. Was looking at maybe Green Dot.

Anyone load 20's? What's your favorite powder? I have Red Dot/Promo plus a few other slower powders on hand. Universal, Etc.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Or a Ponsness Warren...
    Yep. I have the Duomatic 375 that does 12 and 20 gauge. Load shot shells and get a workout at the same time.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I keep unique on hand for loading the 20 gage GhostHawk ,

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all for the replies. I did set it up and deprime/prime over the weekend. I'll use this Load All for now but I can see myself moving on fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Or a Ponsness Warren...
    I really like the PW-375 loader for the variety of random slug/buckshot/experimental loads I build. It's not as fast as a real progressive, but requires little fiddling to change loads/configurations.

Arclight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast