Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I hunt with Unique and these guns?

Boolit Master
    Shooting them in a trap in Texas is fowned upon. Some of the old timers say that a hog will never enter a trap in which another hog has been killed. Now I think that is just bs, but they will get right angry with you if you do it.

I have seen numerous hogs that could easily have been taken with a shot to the head from a .22. I don't consider them very dangerous if you pay attention. I jumped over one in the dark one time. He wasn't charging me, I was just in the way. One of my hog dogs was hot on his trail (about 3 feet behind him). It seemed the prudent thing to do. I have also seen a man skewered in the leg with a tusk, but it was his own fault because he was stupid. Those red ones are the meanest, however. A little 40 lb red one is the equal of a 250 lb black hog when it comes to attitude and are the most likely to hurt you.

Most folks that hunt hogs with a dog or dogs don't want you to shoot around their dog(s) anyway. If you want to kill him you need a knife. Otherwise, if you are hunting them from a ground blind, like deer, they are easy to kill with a well placed shot. An accurate load with 10 grs of Unique and a 180 grain cast in your favorite .30/.31 caliber rifle should do the trick.

As for the ones in a trap, those are brought home alive and fed out for butchering later. They are smart and easily tamed. I had some in a pen once that got out. They came back home at dinner time.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 09-01-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    5-6 gr of unique in a 223 rem case with 50-60 gr bullets and you get a great 22magnum like load for squirrels and varmints
    Exactly what I do with unique. No need for 22 rimfires. 223 brass is everywhere for free. Range scrap lead is free. The only cost is primer and powder. At 6 grains it goes a long way.

We shoot them in our traps. Other pigs come to the same traps within days and sometimes the next day. We mostly use .22lr to dispatch them. If I want to raise a pig for the table I will start with domestic stock. I haven't harmed a trap with a bullet-yet haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A feral is nothing but a domestic that is living off the land. No difference whatsoever.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    i load 12ga. with Lee 1oz key drive slugs over 24 grains unique ..but will that load work for dangerous game?
    Every year agencies and security firms send scores of bear guards, people trained to provide bear protection for work crews, afield with 12 gauge shotguns loaded with one ounce slugs. All my guys are armed with the same. I cannot speak to that specific load of 24 grains of Unique but if it's driving a one ounce slug somewhere around 1200-1400 fps, then yes it will work for dangerous game. Of course I assume we're talking North American dangerous game. Probably wouldn't be my choice for African dangerous game.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

True. My thought was a domestic that started out with some fat would finish out sooner with more bacon. But I'm a cattle man so I'm not a veteran pig raiser. We give them away whenever possible and 90% of the recipients want them dead already. Lean pork is ok but I much prefer venison.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12