RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I hunt with Unique and these guns?

What can I hunt with Unique and these guns?

Howdy! I just scored 8lbs of Unique.. my favorite powder. I have the following guns in various models but the calibers are 45-70, 45Colt, 7mm Rem mag., 338 Win mag, 303 British, 7.62x39 roosky, 12ga. Shotgun, 223 Rem. My question is: can I use Unique in all of those calibers and what game can I hunt with each? ( any game from mice to moose ) Please match calibers with loads and boolits to the game hunted. I promise to try them all if I can. Thank you all!

Vendor Sponsor

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

above link will tell you if the calibers you listed have unique powder loads

or here from Alliant -the Unique powder maker

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=3
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    What CANT you hunt with Unique,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 7mm anything, no .338, and no 7.62x39, so can't help there, but...

I have taken deer and hogs with the rest of your list except no deer yet with the .223. Here goes, and please check loading manuals cause some of these are probably NOT by the book. I have used the Lyman 457122HP with 14.0 grs of Unique, and a Lee 450gr RNFP with 10.0grs Unique in a H&R Handi-rifle in .45-70. Also use .45 Colt in Ruger BH and Rossi 1892 with the RCBS 45-270-SAA pushed by 10.0 grs Unique. I doubt this load is safe in SAA clones, but you know how that warning goes. The .303 British I've used a Lyman 314299 with 10.0grs Unique for deer and hogs, and the same rifle with a Lee 311" 93gr RN pushed by 2.5-3.0grs Unique for pest control and small game, mostly rabbit, squirrel, and on occasion up to possum, racoon, and armadillo. The 12ga was mostly used for hogs with a .678"-.690"RB with 20.0-25.0grs Unique, but worked great on the very few deer I have taken with it. I want to say the count on deer so far with 12ga RB is 5-6 without checking notes. The .223, I load with the RCBS 22-55-SP or the Lee Bator with 2.0-3.0 grs Unique and use it on small game as a load that falls in somewhere in between the .22 LR and .22 Mag velocity wise, but I prefer it over both for hunting due to the bullet weight. I've taken enough hogs with the .22 LR (at very close range) that I am thinking of switching to this .223 load for hogs and want to try it on deer.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Ranch Dog 165 pushed by unique from one of my 3006s, so all of the the 30s you listed would accomplish the same thing.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    It is strongly suggested that you not hunt Air Cav choppers with the 7.62x39. They have nasty dispositions and shoot back with grown up guns and stuff.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post

ranch dog 165 pushed by unique from one of my 3006s, so all of the the 30s you listed would accomplish the same thing.
    nice goat !!

Boolit Master

I cannot think of anything you cannot hunt in the western hemisphere with unique and the calibers you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    I don't have a 7mm anything, no .338, and no 7.62x39, so can't help there, but...

I have taken deer and hogs with the rest of your list except no deer yet with the .223. Here goes, and please check loading manuals cause some of these are probably NOT by the book. I have used the Lyman 457122HP with 14.0 grs of Unique, and a Lee 450gr RNFP with 10.0grs Unique in a H&R Handi-rifle in .45-70. Also use .45 Colt in Ruger BH and Rossi 1892 with the RCBS 45-270-SAA pushed by 10.0 grs Unique. I doubt this load is safe in SAA clones, but you know how that warning goes. The .303 British I've used a Lyman 314299 with 10.0grs Unique for deer and hogs, and the same rifle with a Lee 311" 93gr RN pushed by 2.5-3.0grs Unique for pest control and small game, mostly rabbit, squirrel, and on occasion up to possum, racoon, and armadillo. The 12ga was mostly used for hogs with a .678"-.690"RB with 20.0-25.0grs Unique, but worked great on the very few deer I have taken with it. I want to say the count on deer so far with 12ga RB is 5-6 without checking notes. The .223, I load with the RCBS 22-55-SP or the Lee Bator with 2.0-3.0 grs Unique and use it on small game as a load that falls in somewhere in between the .22 LR and .22 Mag velocity wise, but I prefer it over both for hunting due to the bullet weight. I've taken enough hogs with the .22 LR (at very close range) that I am thinking of switching to this .223 load for hogs and want to try it on deer.

i load 12ga. with Lee 1oz key drive slugs over 24 grains unique ..but will that load work for dangerous game?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    It is strongly suggested that you not hunt Air Cav choppers with the 7.62x39. They have nasty dispositions and shoot back with grown up guns and stuff.
    now That's what I call DANGEROUS game lol !

Boolit Master

Well, since you brought it up, I'd really like to see a moose, elk, or bear taken with Superior's slug load...

While you are at it, you might as well load up the 45colt with some #12 and take a carpenter bee, a big skeeter, and a horsefly. Unique is a tad slow/dirty for the purpose but should work just fine...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    i load 12ga. with Lee 1oz key drive slugs over 24 grains unique ..but will that load work for dangerous game?
    What's your idea of "dangerous"?

Most dangerous game I have hunted with this load is hogs, and anyone who is honest enough will tell you that the vast majority of the time, they aren't dangerous. I mean, I hunt them more with a .22LR pistol or a longbow than with everything else I have combined. After that, it is a flintlock, and then the various CF calibers come in. I really don't consider them dangerous, but I have been charged twice, in about 20 years of hunting them now, and trying to get as close as possible. You see why I'm not worried about them. Now I have kept my shotgun loaded with these around the house, but have thankfully not had a criminal break in yet. That would be more dangerous than a hog, but I honestly hope to never get the "opportunity" to report on that kind of performance.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    This is my kind of thread!

Oh, yeah! This:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lit-Rifle-Load

My favorite load in .30-06 (straight out of Lyman #4) is the Lyman 311672 sized 0.311" over 18.0 grs Unique.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-08-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    That 338 will do quite nicely with Unique and I would start at 14 gr then work up just like the 30/06 load above. I don't have a 45/70 but my 444 with 310 gr boolits shoots very well with 14.5 gr of Unique and is more than adequate for black bear.

Boolit Buddy
    5-6 gr of unique in a 223 rem case with 50-60 gr bullets and you get a great 22magnum like load for squirrels and varmints

Boolit Master
    Unique is my favorite powder for cast except for Levereevolution in the 30-30 with 175 grain WFN GC .

Boolit Master
    Use the Unique in your shotgun . 8 pounds will load a pile of Dove and skeet loads ! I happen to have something around 18 pounds of Unique with loads for the 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 gauge shotguns .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master
    I just put up some .375 H&H loads with a 314 gr boolit and 10 grains of Unique. Have not put it on a chrony yet, so I don't have "real" data. It does launch with a snap. More accurate than the 9 gr. or 11 gr. loads. I'm always tentative about approaching upper limits of a load. Anybody with related experience? Always willing to listen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    Howdy! I just scored 8lbs of Unique.. my favorite powder. I have the following guns in various models but the calibers are 45-70, 45Colt, 7mm Rem mag., 338 Win mag, 303 British, 7.62x39 roosky, 12ga. Shotgun, 223 Rem. My question is: can I use Unique in all of those calibers and what game can I hunt with each? ( any game from mice to moose ) Please match calibers with loads and boolits to the game hunted. I promise to try them all if I can. Thank you all!
    While acknowledging my previous was a bit flippant (but legitimate), I will provide you with a point of reference regarding what you can hunt with which cartridge/firearm combo.

Factory spec for CB shorts is 710 fps. Bullet is 29 grains.

The only question you have to ask yourself is "Can I put the bullet where it needs to go?" Frame that question in context of the quarry, range, bullet form and alloy.

There is no magic bullet/powder/cartridge/rifle. Each is part of the equation and pardon the oft quoted wisecrack, you are the jerk behind the trigger.

Bottom target is 10 shots....and would kill most anything that walks in North America.

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Not judging by any means but the hogs you shot with the .22 cb shorts- were they in a trap? On foot i've yet to see them hold still long enough unless it's the "oh sh** moment when they spot you a few feet away!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast