RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 1903 Sticky Bolt

Boolit Master

1903 Sticky Bolt

Ok, sticky bolt probably isn't the best descriptor but here's my question:

I was shooting my 1903 today with one of my favorite cast loads - H&G#20 (169gr Spire Point GC) over 12gr Unique and after about 20 rounds, I noticed the bolt being difficult to unlock after firing. The fired case extracted easily enough, it was only when first turning the bolt after firing where the problem was. Unfired rounds loaded/unloaded (chambering/locking/unlocking/extracting) as slick as you please and again, only after firing was unlocking "rough". I've chrono'ed this load and it runs right at 1500fps and 2-3" groups at 100yds are the norm (would be better if my eyes were 30 years younger). Any suggestions?

Thanks

Certainly not a high pressure load. I was getting a strange mark on Krag cases once that was progressing to the rear. I ran a chamber reamer in and pulled out a bunch of lube that had built up after firing low pressure loads. It was the Lyman black lube that I was using. My reamer didn't cut any metal out of the original chamber, just got the goop, and powder residue out. I imagine a lot of lube could increase back thrust of the case and that could be your problem, or powder residue in the chamber.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Check your fired primers and see if they are backing out after firing..it will happen with low pressure rounds

You said these were your favorite loads so you have used them before with no problem but you didn't state if you are FL sizing or Neck sizing....

I would also check the extractor it might be getting ready to let go..check to see if it rotates freely on the bolt body ....one of the tips might be broken off and is gouging the rim..check the fired case for damage as well..

Low number receiver ?

Let us know what you find..

Boolit Master
    Have you cleaned and lubed the camming surface between the bolt head and camming surface on the bolt body? It would have to be real dry but if there's some grunge and grit in there....

Boolit Grand Master

Also look at the locking lugs and caming surfaces for gaulding, and uneven wear. A heavy thick grease or never seize applied in a thin coat may help with this. This is recommended on bolt actions that have been trued and blueprinted to maintain the locking lugs and caming surfaces fine finish. Another place to check is the caming area on the cocking piece

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Have you cleaned and lubed the camming surface ....
    I can be such a DUMMY sometimes!!!

I was so fixated on it being something wrong with my loads at the range yesterday morning that I didn't even think of the obvious. The problem became apparent immediately as I was field stripping the rifle yesterday --- the bolt and rifle caming surfaces were completely dry! I cleaned it all up, applied an appropriate amount of lubriplate and now it's as slick as it should be so all is right with the world again.

Quickly to answer some of the other questions:
    Yep, it's WWII rebuild with a low numbered RIA receiver and only gets shot with low pressure cast loads (no intention of initiating a controversy here just responding to the question).
    Since I acquired that mold a year of so ago, this particular load has become a favorite for both this rifle and an 1895 Winchester. Soft recoil, very good accuracy, and for the 03 especially, the point of impact is dead on at 100yds with the ladder sight folded down. Also, I did inspect the fired cases and there were no backed out primers or any other indications of excessive pressure or mechanical troubles (extractor or chamber not cleaned).
    Thanks again for the input fella's, it was all helpful.

Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    " I did inspect the fired cases and there were no backed out primers or any other indications of excessive pressure or mechanical troubles (extractor or chamber not cleaned)."

Glad you found the issue..strangley I've never encountered a dry bolt that was hard to open but hey there are still days ahead....

I wasn't referring to primers backing out from excessive loads , rather just the opposite...primers will back out when there isn't sufficient pressure...as a mater of fact continuously using low pressure loads and neck sizing only with the primers moving back will eventually set the shoulder of the case back...

Onward brother ..enjoy