Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Mag-Spark Don't Fit This Time

Mag-Spark Don't Fit This Time

Installed a Mag-Spark on a TC Renegade and it fit just fine.
    Installed a Mag-Spark on a Lyman GPR and the rim of the cup on the business end of the hammer struck the pin rather than the pin being hit by the inside of the cup.
    Dadburnit.

Boolit Master
    My custom built 45 by johnson 1942 he addressed this by filling the cup so rim is supported ,works great !Attachment 199313

Boolit Master
    Never talked, read, or heard of anyone mounting one on a CVA.

You would think such a misaligned hammer would have been very noticeable when striking its #11 prior. Although if not knowing? such things go un-noticed. I've done allot of that over the years myself. i.e. "Blind in one eye can't see outs the other."

If you have a spare or can buy a hammer? its worth the effort to bend one. Mag Spark nipples are a dandy ignition system for any side-lock. 50 cal & larger.

The Mag-Spark being longer axial from top of threads to the point of contact pushed it just over the edge.
    Thought about making the business end of the hammer flat but I didn't want to permanently alter the hammer prior to finding out how the new sparker works out. And that's for the south paw fast twist .40 barrel that eats nipples like tater chips. Hmm, maybe might as well take the lip down on the hammer and see how she does.

The other Mag-Spark got installed on the Renegade with the 38" long .52 bore paper patcher.
    It's a right hand rifle and those powder tattoos get old pretty quick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Mag Spark nipples are a dandy ignition system for any side-lock. 50 cal & larger.
    I'm curious why. From what I understand it adds a bit of tedious to the reloading aspect. I've not had any issues with Rem #10's igniting BP or subs (Pyrodex and T7). And I certainly like that all of my BP arms share components.

I can certainly appreciate that primers are cheaper and easier to find than percussion caps.

Boolit Mold
    I tried one on my gpr, it works fine. It is an old one, close to 30 years old

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I'm curious why. From what I understand it adds a bit of tedious to the reloading aspect. I've not had any issues with Rem #10's igniting BP or subs (Pyrodex and T7). And I certainly like that all of my BP arms share components.

I can certainly appreciate that primers are cheaper and easier to find than percussion caps.
    Watertight /enclosed means no blowback especially on underhammers and less fumbling and finally way hotter then caps (faster ignition) aside from lighting up subs !

Boolit Master
    I'm curious why.
    Maybe because Good Cheer and I both own stock in Warren Custom Outdoor Prod.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Maybe because Good Cheer and I both own stock in Warren Custom Outdoor Prod.

nd to me. However he said 209's were just too big. But this British company makes nipple replacements to use 209's, which is intriguing and would then spark my interest as it would work across all of my guns. I'm at a loss for how they work though as I don't see any sort of modification for a firing pin.

http://www.anvilconversions.co.uk/in.../Page13768.htm

I'd be interested in large primer use too...

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post

Want to try it out for the ignition properties and the lack of nipple wear.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Want to try it out for the ignition properties and the lack of nipple wear.
    Do you have ignition issues with percussion caps?

Granted I only own 3 BP guns they've all worked flawlessly with Rem #10's and I'm talking maybe 1000 rds in the Ruger, several hundred in the NMA, and a bit more than 200 through the Lyman Deerstalker.

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone know if these are a direct fit in Pedersoli's?
    I thought they had a finer thread than other nipples?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter72 View Post

If you are talking Magspark call Warren outdoor product and ask they make different thread/size for sidelocks

Quote Originally Posted by peter72 View Post

Do know for sure they make 6 x .75 (metric). That's what the one for the GPR is. The one for the TC with the Green Mountain barrel is 1/4" x 28.

Boolit Man
    Yes they make a 6 x .75

Boolit Master
    What about finding a hammer and modifying it for correct hit?

Boolit Master
    In the past I have bent the hammer to make it fit. I one in the picture will be hard as it has to have the striker part bent upwards? I have done that once and it was hard to do as the bottom part of the hammer want to pop out of the vise.

The threads on Pedersoli rifles vary depending on what it is. My Pedersoli Gibbs has 1/4-28 threads. In the past their website showed the specs for each rifle including the nipple thread?

I installed the Mag-Spark system on my Lyman Great Plains Hunter, but it was more than just replacing the nipple. I had no 1/2 cock without the hammer resting on the firing pin. What I did was to purchase a replacement Hammer, then milled the pocket deeper. I believe I went 0.150" deeper and shortened it overall about 0.100". By doing this I am able to return to Percussion Cap or use the Mag-Spark system. I have never had issues with Percussion Caps, just wanted to have an alternative method of ignition. I was surprised to learn the hammer was dead soft.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	201785 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman-2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	201820

AntiqueSledMan
    Last edited by AntiqueSledMan; 08-13-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that post. I am about to change to the magspark just because of eroding std nipples (500gn bullets and 80gn powder).