WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best lube that will actually stay in the lube grooves?

Banned
    I'll just stick to standard lubing without any extra hassel. I'll lube them in my Magma and Star and let them drop into plastic tubes that I can attach to my bullet droppers. As for Ben's... I'm not really sure that I like it all that much.

Boolit Master

I have never had any problems with the lube not staying in the grooves,I find that once you shoot enough to to get that carnuba shine all you need to do is clean the chamber/chambers every so often.There is nothing to clean in the bore.Good luck and I love the smoke from Ben's Red.

Hey, what about this carnauba blue? is it any good for max 2200fps or so? is it sticky aka store well (thrown in a jar)?? and does it stay on the boolit or fling off??
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banner Sponsor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cblue-3006xcb-02.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	202625

I've pushed it to 2800fps without any problems.
    It should not need a heater unless your loading room gets below 65F.
    It has performed well in my 30-30, 30-06XCB, 405 Win, 45-70 Sharps, 38 spl, 9mm, 45acp, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, 500S&W

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cblue-411-251-01.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	202626

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I have been using Tac1 because of the the theory the lube will be thrown out of the boolit after it leaves the barrel ? I'm not sure that actually happens but if it does that would make a boolit fly more true. Mine are a little sticky but not messy . I store them in a closed coffee can so no dust can collect. Anyway it works good for me with pistol boolits. I powder coat my rifle stuff .
    Having seen thousands of used cardboard USPSA targets I know the loob stays on most boolits. It's clearly visible on targets around boolit holes even out as far as 50 yards.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I have had very good luck with randyrat's TAC-1 and TAC-X. Neither needs heating and stays in the grooves and it is not sticky.

Look here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ac-x-mold-lube

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I've been using Lar45's lube for years and have a lot of it stashed back. it's good stuff.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Bub
    Great info

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I've been using Lar45's lube for years and have a lot of it stashed back. it's good stuff.
    You and me both

Lars has the commercial equivalent and/or substitute for BLL in their 45/45/10 so called due to the ingredient percentages. Homemade one uses 45% Johnsons paste wax, 45% Alox, and 10% mineral spirits. BLL was made from Johnson's liquid wax which is discontinued.

I know of at least one old time caster / reloader that swears by dipping in Alox and placing in the plastic trays from ammo boxes to drain. You can also purchase a version of Alox from Lars this is about the same material as the small bottle Lee Precision bundle with their push through sizers. Not called Alox but Xlox to avoid a court battle over the name. Here is a link to the liquid lube section selections http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=2

I have a bag of blue lube bullets that have been in basement for a few years, still fine, but then basement is stable temperature and both cool and dry. Me I tumble lube or PC but have dipped some rifle rounds in Alox too. My equipment is cheaper than lube sizer was primary motivation but I would agree liquid Alox or Xlox over wax lube should keep them from becoming sticky or dropping the lube from the grooves. If you try it let us know how well it works out.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Lars has the commercial equivalent and/or substitute for BLL in their 45/45/10 so called due to the ingredient percentages. Homemade one uses 45% Johnsons paste wax, 45% Alox, and 10% mineral spirits. BLL was made from Johnson's liquid wax which is discontinued.
    BLL and 45/45/10 aren't the same. The lubes have very different properties. 45/45/10 is Alox that dries fast, but remains sticky. BLL dries quickly and has no stickiness when dry. They both contain a form of Johnson's wax and Alox but that's the end of the similarity.

Boolit Buddy

LsStuff White Label Carnauba Red - He even died it purple for me

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I have never had any problems with the lube not staying in the grooves,I find that once you shoot enough to to get that carnuba shine all you need to do is clean the chamber/chambers every so often.There is nothing to clean in the bore.Good luck and I love the smoke from Ben's Red.
    I agree, I use Carnuba blue for lube in my M1 Garand and the bore is like a mirror. Good stuff.

Boolit Master

I use the Bens Red and BLL topcoat method. Works well with great accuracy. About to have to make more Bens Red.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Well, my recovered .38 and .45 boolits going from 700-850 fps keep all of their TAC-1 in the grooves out the barrel and through impact. Hitting a rock will knock it out or scrub it off.

Even shooting at 100° ambient. No leading and 3-inch groups at 50 yards with my best boolits. 4-5 inch groups at 50 with my crappy boolits.

They store reasonably well sized and lubed. Have a bunch waiting to be sized, and more sized and in weight-sorted bags. A little sticky and messy but the grooves keep the lube.

Boolit Master
    Yup ! JPW

in a keith style 44 mag boolit, will white labels carnauba red stay in the lube grooves, or fling out as fired? I just ordered my first pound of it, so I don't know how it acts yet...

Boolit Master
    C-red , I keep a coffee can or two filled ready to load for all my handgun needs , but I need a little heat to get it flowing . And 1 pound goes a long way .

Boolit Buddy

Use it - White Label Carnuba Red in everything from .32 pistol through .44 Mag and even .223. Excellent hard lube - got to have a heater tho.

I cant wait to try carnauba red! I have been hearing about it for years, but I have a lyman 450 w/o a heater. but I just got a 4500 from swap and sell, and ordered a heating element off of amazon. I have heard that you adjust the temp on those by how much of the heater is pushed into the hole in the back of the sizer, does anyone know about where I should start for the car. red? maybe halfway in? I don't want to completely liquefy it and make a mess of it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast