Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best lube that will actually stay in the lube grooves?

Boolit Master
    I've experimented with Hi-Tek lately for some pistol boolits, but am still using Felix Lube on my rifle boolits, so far.

Felix Lube is generally soft and will get messy if you dump a bunch of boolits together, but I've heard of others putting some wax in it to firm it up. I have never had leading from any full snort magnum pistol or rifle rounds using Felix, and they are accurate.

I think it's better to have a soft lube that will come off the boolit when it leaves the barrel. I've seen pics of boolits that were recovered that had some hard lube still in the grooves. Seems to me that a boolit with some lube left here and there would have a hard time going in a straight line.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 199389

Personal experience. This stuff will stay in lube grooves for years and years and years and years and... I have some boolits my dad's uncle lubed with this stuff back in the early 1960s. It's just now beginning to crack and crumble, but it's still hanging in there!!

Personally, I prefer the softer lubes - you'll find nothing but SPG in my lubricators - and I lube no more ahead than will fill a standard box of cartridges (20 for rifle, 50 for pistol and revolver). You might be thinking that I load boolits for a limited range of cartridges, but no...

Rifles: .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .257 Roberts, 6.5x52mm, .270 Winchester, 7x57mm, .30 Carbine, .30 Remington, .30/30 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .30/40 Krag, .30-'03 Springfield, .30-'06 Springfield, .303 British, 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54mmR, 8x57mm, 8x56mmR, .351 Winchester Self-Loading, .35 Remington, .375 Winchester, .38/40 W.C.F., 11x60mmR, .44/40 W.C.F., and .45/70 Government;

Pistols and Revolvers: .30 Luger,.30 Mauser, .32 A.C.P., .32/20 W.C.F., 9mm Luger, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Russian, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 A.C.P and Auto Rim, and .45 Colt.

"I put that s**t on everything!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you could just skin the lube over.
    I only typed out how to do this 40-50 times in the last 10 years.
    don't nobody ever read what I type?
    I do. Along with the other notable members threads and responses. File it away.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I have been using Tac1 because of the the theory the lube will be thrown out of the boolit after it leaves the barrel ? I'm not sure that actually happens but if it does that would make a boolit fly more true. Mine are a little sticky but not messy . I store them in a closed coffee can so no dust can collect. Anyway it works good for me with pistol boolits. I powder coat my rifle stuff .
    I use it, shoot action pistol games, 9mm poking along at 850ish it makes a mess of targets inside three yards. Rounds are as accurate as I seem able to hold <4" @ 25yds.

Haven't noticed any migration sitting in storage at less than 80 degrees, but rarely sit more than a month before loading.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I have been using this with good results. Add a bit more beeswax depending on the type of wax you buy. Mix to your liking.
    http://www.artfulbullet.com/index.ph...moly-lube.418/
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

carnauba red, did I mention carnauba red ? Good stuff and inexpensive. I use it for all CB shooting.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I use LSS Carnauba Red with a little heat. I spray the lubed bullets with alcohol then store them loose in small plastic containers. Works for me.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Another solution is to size and lube only just before you need to load them. When I first started casting I put a bunch of sized and lubed with 50/50 boolits in a gallon plastic baggie...what a mess. Now, if I have to size and lube a whole bunch of boolits I put them neatly arranged in rows in a tupperware container, layered in stacks between a thin pieces of card stock. I have found that for me anyway, that the softer lubes like BAC work way better for my pistol boolits. However you can't just size a jillion of them and throw them in a bucket or you'll wind up with a sticky mess every time. At this point, I'm more inclined to size and lube them just before I load them.
    I am starting to do that. I think all mine will be canned up as cast until I need them. That is except my wadcutters. They go fast anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    I size and lube just prior to loading the cartridges. All rifle loads get LSS Carnauba Red, as do higher-pressure handgun calibers (Magnum revolvers, 9mm/40 S&W/10mm). The lower-intensity handgun rounds (now) get LSS Xlox/beeswax, since I just used up the last of my Javelina Alox/BW about 4 months ago. The LSS seems to flow a bit more easily than the Javelina did, and if ambient temp is above 70* no heat is needed. C-Red needs some heat, but not as much as the Lyman 4500's OEM heat element provides, even in cooler weather. That heater cable needs a rheostat.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm tired of using lube that gets all over the bullets and comes out of the lube grooves. Is there anything out there that will stay in the lube grooves and not get messy when bullets are collected in a coffee can or other container. It would be nice to have something that would stay in the grooves. I was told "Blue Heaven" is the lube to get so I ordered some. With shipping it averaged $4 a tube.

Can I add soy wax to harden up the Ben's Red?
    I have had great success, using BLL as a top coat on my pan lubed,and lubrisized boolits. As far as adding wax to Ben's Red, if it were me I would try adding beeswax. However the storage of the finished boolits has alot to do with keeping them long term.
    I use tuna cans(the large ones) I stand the boolits up in layers ,with thin card board between the layers. I use a can opener that cuts the seal ring. This way I can utilize the lid when the can is full. I label the can and tape the lid shut. They stack on each other for nice storage. YMMV.
    CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Banned
    I guess I should have mentioned that I don't cast rifle bullets. I believe I will try hardening up the lube a little and instead of letting the bullets fall into a container. I think I'm going to made a tube holder that will attach to the bottom of my Star and Magma sizers to hold storage tubes of around 50 bullets each. These tubes would be fitted with a cotter key on each end and will not only contain the bullets but also speed up loading because I could simply install these tubes on my bullet dropper on my Dillon 650.

Boolit Master

Ben's Red will cure the need for any other lube.I have put many thousand rounds down the tube with no leading.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Ben's Red will cure the need for any other lube.I have put many thousand rounds down the tube with no leading.
    Ben's red doesn't stay in the lube grooves.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    can i add soy wax to harden up the ben's red?
    no ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I should have mentioned that I don't cast rifle bullets. I believe I will try hardening up the lube a little and instead of letting the bullets fall into a container. I think I'm going to made a tube holder that will attach to the bottom of my Star and Magma sizers to hold storage tubes of around 50 bullets each. These tubes would be fitted with a cotter key on each end and will not only contain the bullets but also speed up loading because I could simply install these tubes on my bullet dropper on my Dillon 650.
    Sounds to me like ya got it all figured out. If ya get the chance to, try top coating the Ben's Red boolits with BLL. Works extremely well. Hope I helped ya in some way. CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I use Carnuba Red for all of my handgun loads.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    I use lee alox. After it dries, I coat them in mica powder. I've been powder coating all my rifle and magnum handgun bullets, but everything else gets alox and mica. No more sticky dies, and the stuff stores for years. I also get MUCH less smoke.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CASTER OF LEAD View Post
    Sounds to me like ya got it all figured out. If ya get the chance to, try top coating the Ben's Red boolits with BLL. Works extremely well. Hope I helped ya in some way. CASTER
    What is BLL?

Boolit Buddy
    What is BLL?
    Ben's Liquid Lube. It is a tumble lube that works very well as a stand alone lube. I use it on any handgun boolits that i dont intend to PC. There is a sticky on how to make it. Also is an alternative recipe using Lundmark wax in place of the Johnson's one step wax. (They quit making the Johnson's) there sticky has proportions of each ingredient in the mix. Once dry the BLL will lock the lube in the grooves. I have boolits stored the way I mentioned in an earlier post that were lube sized and top coated almost 4 years ago. Still as good as the day i made them. CASTER

Boolit Master
    What is BLL?
    Ben's liquid lube.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast