RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingGraf & SonsStainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereLee Precision

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Best lube that will actually stay in the lube grooves?

  1. #1
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,940

    Best lube that will actually stay in the lube grooves?

    I'm tired of using lube that gets all over the bullets and comes out of the lube grooves. Is there anything out there that will stay in the lube grooves and not get messy when bullets are collected in a coffee can or other container. It would be nice to have something that would stay in the grooves. I was told "Blue Heaven" is the lube to get so I ordered some. With shipping it averaged $4 a tube.

    Can I add soy wax to harden up the Ben's Red?
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 07-07-2017 at 07:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Boolit Buddy wddodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    54
    A forum sponsor by the name of Randyrat sells lube that works very well for me. It takes just a little heat to get it flowing and it stays in the grooves very well till I get them loaded. No leading from .380's to 45/70's. Plus they are much less than $4/stick.

    Denny

  3. #3
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,940
    Heat is no problem. I have a 400 watt heater in my 1/2" thick aluminum plate that my Star is mounted to and controlled by a PID.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master

    farmerjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Francisville, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,090
    Try Hi-Tek or powder coat, I do both, haven't lubed a boolit in years. Hi-Tek is faster, but a steeper learning curve than powder coat.
    There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialism—by vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide. Ayn Rand

  5. #5
    Boolit Master

    Beagle333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Posts
    4,707
    If it's going to be a while after I lube before I load, I give em a light tumble in BLL and that seals everything nicely. When it dries, nothing is sticky and nothing pulls out of the grooves.
    Colt 1860, it just feels right.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,940
    Thanks but I'm not into powder coating as of yet. I still do all my sizing on my Magma for 45cal and my Star for 38/357/9mm.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,007
    +1 on beagle333. Ben's LL is a good lube, all by itself, but it does seem to seal the lube from my lubrisizer application in a coat of kind of hard / yet not sticky shell. Might just work out for you. Got to let 'em dry on wax paper first before tossing into a can or box.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    dragon813gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in SE PA
    Posts
    8,392

  9. #9
    Boolit Master bosterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    397
    I used to use "Blue Angel" but would get leading when using it in my S & W revolver with fast powder. I've switched to Carnuba Red in my heated Star Sizer. I only run my heater for 10 minutes then unplug it. The boolits drop 5 or 6 inches into the Accra bin and the lube stays in the grooves pretty well. However, they're still warm and I only dump them into my coffee cans after they've sat in the bins until cool again.

  10. #10
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,135
    The harder lubes will do just that you seek, however, be forewarned that a hard lune is not always the best for accuracy.

    RandyRat's Tac1 and TacX have done very well for me along with LSS Carnauba Red. Accuracy has been awesome and lube stays where it needs to.

    LBT Blue was a favorite of dads but the lanolin in it always made it kinda tacky. Works well though.

    I believe it was our own Larry Gibson that did a lube test for accuracy and had some nice evidence and showed some good firmer lubes. Perhaps do a search and yield some wisdom from that thread/article.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master Tenbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southwest Virginia Mountains
    Posts
    683
    I have been using Tac1 because of the the theory the lube will be thrown out of the boolit after it leaves the barrel ? I'm not sure that actually happens but if it does that would make a boolit fly more true. Mine are a little sticky but not messy . I store them in a closed coffee can so no dust can collect. Anyway it works good for me with pistol boolits. I powder coat my rifle stuff .

  12. #12
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    9,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I have been using Tac1 because of the the theory the lube will be thrown out of the boolit after it leaves the barrel ? I'm not sure that actually happens but if it does that would make a boolit fly more true. Mine are a little sticky but not messy . I store them in a closed coffee can so no dust can collect. Anyway it works good for me with pistol boolits. I powder coat my rifle stuff .
    Put a piece of cardboard about 12" away from the muzzle...then fire one shot. That should give you a real good idea how much of your lube is flung off the boolit as it leaves the barrel.

  13. #13
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    9,178
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I used to use "Blue Angel" but would get leading when using it in my S & W revolver with fast powder. I've switched to Carnuba Red in my heated Star Sizer. I only run my heater for 10 minutes then unplug it. The boolits drop 5 or 6 inches into the Accra bin and the lube stays in the grooves pretty well. However, they're still warm and I only dump them into my coffee cans after they've sat in the bins until cool again.
    I have used several different lubes. I prefer a soft lube, but I got to say that Carnuba Red really stays in the grooves very well (better than anything else I tried), and doesn't make a mess when boolits are bulk stored...and shoots a lot better than the HARD commerical lubes. BUT, Carnuba Red is known to throw cold barrel fliers when the ambient temperature is below 40º F. If you never shoot in cold weather, then no problem.

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Tom W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    2,050
    I use the carnauba red for everything, rifle pistol and revolvers. It even works great in my Ruger No.1b with no leading.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

  15. #15
    Boolit Master PWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    229
    C-Red is the most user friendly lube I've used in regards to staying put on bullets in bulk containers. Gives pretty good accuracy in most loads too!

  16. #16
    Boolit Master






    Lloyd Smale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    munising Michigan
    Posts
    12,809
    lars cordoba red
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm tired of using lube that gets all over the bullets and comes out of the lube grooves. Is there anything out there that will stay in the lube grooves and not get messy when bullets are collected in a coffee can or other container. It would be nice to have something that would stay in the grooves. I was told "Blue Heaven" is the lube to get so I ordered some. With shipping it averaged $4 a tube.

    Can I add soy wax to harden up the Ben's Red?
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Missouri Ozarks
    Posts
    1,153
    Where I used to live we were permitted to collect scrap lead from he berm. On the pistol ranges I noticed almost all the cast bullets still had the lube in the grooves after impact. I could never seen the point of lube that stayed in the grooves. It made about as much sense as motor oil that stayed in the crankcase.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master
    dragon813gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in SE PA
    Posts
    8,392

    Best lube that will actually stay in the lube grooves?

    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Where I used to live we were permitted to collect scrap lead from he berm. On the pistol ranges I noticed almost all the cast bullets still had the lube in the grooves after impact. I could never seen the point of lube that stayed in the grooves. It made about as much sense as motor oil that stayed in the crankcase.
    You want one of two things. You want it to fling off when it clears the muzzle. Or you want it to stay intact until impact. Anything other will lead to erratic accuracy. Since I throw, literally, sized and lubed bullets in an ammo can I want a non tacky lube that stays in place. A soft lube the flings off when clearing the muzzle doesn't work for this type of storage.

  19. #19
    Moderator

    ShooterAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,288
    Another solution is to size and lube only just before you need to load them. When I first started casting I put a bunch of sized and lubed with 50/50 boolits in a gallon plastic baggie...what a mess. Now, if I have to size and lube a whole bunch of boolits I put them neatly arranged in rows in a tupperware container, layered in stacks between a thin pieces of card stock. I have found that for me anyway, that the softer lubes like BAC work way better for my pistol boolits. However you can't just size a jillion of them and throw them in a bucket or you'll wind up with a sticky mess every time. At this point, I'm more inclined to size and lube them just before I load them.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master
    runfiverun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    soda springs Id.
    Posts
    27,636
    you could just skin the lube over.
    I only typed out how to do this 40-50 times in the last 10 years.
    don't nobody ever read what I type?
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

    this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check