Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVA Scout rifle

Boolit Master

CVA Scout rifle

I was asked for a full report, so instead I'll just do a running thread. Spoilers, I didn't include caliber in the title because I expect to have more than one eventually.

So first, the tale. I went down to Pevely and traded a barrel for a scope, and having never been in the area long I dropped by Dunn's Sporting Goods to pick up a set of rings. The staff was busy, but attentive and the selection included an array of single shot and a new Henry Long Ranger in .308 that kept calling to me. After handing the CVA, I walked out with two 100rd boxes of subsonic 9mm for my AR carbine, a CVA Scout in .30-06, and a box of ammo for same (Hornady Interlock 150gr SP) for $277.76 after taxes and NICS check. The rifle is the discontinued Scout, not the new Scout V2, but is still the 22" fluted Stainless barrel and frame with black synthetic furniture. The V2 appears to have a more Contender-like release and does not come in the venerated .30-06.

The rifle is adequate, a bit rough at the edges. The action is released by a button in front of the trigger guard, again less torque than my Contender, more than an Encore. The barrel was in good shape, and the entire rifle is about 6.5lb with the scope, and the factory supplied one-piece mount is adequate for even a 50mm objective. The frame shows evidence of being cheaply cast, but appears to my amateur eye to be adequately constructed despite some roughness.

Accuracy will be an ongoing report. The 150gr Interlock was okay, but I won't feel comfortable reporting groups until I remember to bring my rest out. Recoil was stiff, about on par with the TriStar Raptor autoloading shotgun with Winchester 9-pellet buckshot. Extraction was stiff, but using the rim of the new round to pull the old solved it instantly.

Future plans are to play with some .30-30 power loads and maybe some 120gr-ish loads for a lighter, flatter shooting load. My major regret is the caliber. I would trade this rifle in for a Magnum pistol or their V2 .300 BLK carbine in a heartbeat, but for the money it was certainly worth the buy.

Boolit Master
    I forgot the pictures, I took one of the attachment system and the import markings. I don't see any Bergara markings on the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    BP (Blackpowder Products) Firearms is Bergara's distributor in North America. http://bergarausa.com/contact.php

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
    BP (Blackpowder Products) Firearms is Bergara's distributor in North America. http://bergarausa.com/contact.php
    Interesting, might be a Bergara barrel after all.

Anybody got a favorite low-cost .30-06 loading?

Boolit Buddy
    No experience with the scout but I have a Optima Elite in 30/06 that shoots almost any boolit in the range of 150 to 200 grains with red dot, Unique or Bullseye in to 2" groups at 50 yards with no load development. Best load is 11 grains of Red dot with the Lyman 311041. Don't know the velocity but easy 1-1/2 groups at 100 yards with a scope at 9 power. My shooting skills have declined over the years so these results are off of sand bags with no wind and no sweat in my eyes. I have a stalker in 308 that I am starting to work with and both guns seem to have a long throat and I am able to seat boolits far enough out to even load 200 to maybe 215 grain boolits and keep gas checks in the neck.Sorry kind of long winded but I love these guns. Both of my guns have the lever behind the trigger guard and work effortlessly in releasing the barrel. My two guns are very nicely finished and no machining marks at all. Markings on your barrel look just the same as mine except for the Bergara name. Hope yours has the same trigger as both mine do no take up and crisp light break 3-1/2 to 5 lbs minimal overtravel and smooth as a Encore, well almost but really nice for a budget single shot.

Boolit Master
    I have the Scout 2 in .44 mag. The Bergara markings are under the fore end, on the bottom of the barrel.

Mine is quite accurate with Hornady 240gr. J-words but I am having challenges with NEI 235gr. cast. It will shoot two touching and a flier in every 3 shot group....opening things up to 2 1/4 to 3" at 50 yds. I think I might be having problems with gaschecks leaving early.

The trigger is excellent and the rifle does what I wanted it for....Michigan's newly legal straight wall cartridge deer hunting in the previous shotgun/ML only zone.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to know how well it shoots.

I am on the fence for buying one of the CVA's, but, if there is no chance of getting near 1" at 100yd I will pass.

Boolit Master
    Heading out to the range (about an hour to the 100yd range) this week, picked up some other loads and hopefully I'll remember to bring my LBS and staple gun.

I'm a bit sad, there's a fella on the other end of the state listing a .223 Stalker for $150, but I can't bring myself to drive that far.

Boolit Master
    I have two of these rifles, a 300 Blackout and a 35 Remington. I sold my H&R Blackout after I got the CVA. The trigger is miles better, and it is more accurate as well.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Update on the aught-six: either it doesn't like my favorite loads (I've been shooting a variation of a 150gr soft-pedal at 2800fps since I took my first button buck) or the combination of a light gun and heavy recoil is too punishing. This one is going back on the market, but I liked the gun enough to be willing to try one in a lighter caliber.

I've been reloading for and shooting my CVA Scout V2 .300BLK for a few years now. Super accurate rifle with a superb trigger.

50 yard subsonic

100 yard .5 MOA factory ammo.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 08-04-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Thanks for those pics. Who made your barrel?
    Last edited by charlie b; 08-05-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Thanks for those pics. Who made your barrel?
    Bergara makes these rifles, lock, stock, and barrel in Spain. Here's the EU version of the Scout, called the BA13, available with stocks, finishes, and calibers we can't get.

Their version of my rifle is a take down model. I added the Omega rifle's thumbhole stock to my rifle available on CVAs site after seeing it on the BA13 TD.

http://www.bergararifles.com/en/rifles/

Boolit Master
    Thanks. That helps a lot. So these really do swap barrels easily?

Thanks. That helps a lot. So these really do swap barrels easily?
    I don't know. They list the Scout and Hunter as not being swappable nor are the barrels available separately. Fortunately the whole rifle in blued is much cheaper than a T/C barrel alone.

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I don't know. They list the Scout and Hunter as not being swappable nor are the barrels available separately. Fortunately the whole rifle in blued is much cheaper than a T/C barrel alone.
    I gave the CVA a long hard look and No-one in this city had one I could put my hands On!!!! So I bought a Contender....to date almost $1500
    spent to get what I wanted and Need a $140 Butt Stock and the will do me !!!!! I think

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I have two of these rifles, a 300 Blackout and a 35 Remington. I sold my H&R Blackout after I got the CVA. The trigger is miles better, and it is more accurate as well.
    I've found this also to be true. I have the Scout rifle, and Scout V2 pistol both in 300 blk. Got good deals on both, but was amazed at the trigger. Suppressed, these are so much fun. Even loaded up some powder coated round balls and shot em on steel plates out to 100 yards.
    I love guns, tacos, and lead. I use the guns. The guns eat lead. And I eat tacos. I make videos about the first 2 things.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/fullleadtaco

Boolit Master
    Ok, so where can you order these in the different configurations available from Bergara? I didn't see any US (or Canadian) dealers. Can you order them from Spain through an FFL?

I had a Contender a long time ago and considered an Encore. Just can't justify that price.

Ok, so where can you order these in the different configurations available from Bergara? I didn't see any US (or Canadian) dealers. Can you order them from Spain through an FFL?

I had a Contender a long time ago and considered an Encore. Just can't justify that price.
    Looks like you find a gun dealer who will order it then fill out a BATFE form 6.
    I did a search this morning and had trouble finding one. The ones I did find were expensive after the exchange rate was calculated. Looks like the US has pretty good gun prices compared to the rest of the world.

The locally available CVAs are the blued hunter, hunter compact, Scout V2, and V2 Take down is now available from Bud's gun shop in 3 calibers. Id love to have that BA13 with wood camo stock tho. That is unfortunately a plastic stock BTW.

Boolit Master
    The good part is I want a .45-70, which is available here. I was just interested if someone was making barrels cause I'd love a longer one and/or a .38-55

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast