RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Wasp Spray

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Pardon me if I've missed it, but WHERE are you finding Peppermint Oil? Peppermint Extract is everywhere I look. Peppermint Oil is rare as Hen's teeth around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Indeed. The bottle of extract is 91% alcohol and 9% Peppermint oil, according to the label.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I didnt understand the original post. How much Dawn liquid do you mix with 16 ounces of water?

Good timing. Had a small nest forming next to the front door so hosed it down. Later in the day was looking at the .22 rifle I keep in the workshop ready to go and thought hmmmmm.......
    Grabbed a flash light and opened the action, dang barrel was packed shut. Went to our other garage and grabbed the 10/22 off the wall and same thing. After cleaning them both will tape the muzzles shut with black tape. Next I checked the pee hole on my outboard and it was also plugged!
    OK you folks.....Here's a link to where I got mine "AFTER" I bought a .5oz bottle at WallyWorld for $6. Mine was located right near the Pharmacy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-fl-oz-Pepp...wAAOSwve5XOAz7

And it's a 1/4 TO 1/2 cup of Dawn "Original" dish soap mixed in the 16oz spray bottle. In other words the amount isn't what a person would call critical to make work, just no less than 1/4 cup and no more than 1/2 cup.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 08-14-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Vendor Sponsor

If your are an amazon prime member this is cheaper 8 oz is $17.99 shipped or 4OZ for $9.99 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1XLM9OGROVVWG
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I won't lie, when I lived out in the country, a can of brake spray and a running propane torch does quite well on any bug and the satisfaction is through the roof! Sweet, sweet revenge it is!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    OK you folks.....Here's a link to where I got mine "AFTER" I bought a .5oz bottle at WallyWorld for $6. Mine was located right near the Pharmacy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-fl-oz-Pepp...wAAOSwve5XOAz7

And it's a 1/4 TO 1/2 cup of Dawn "Original" dish soap mixed in the 16oz spray bottle. In other words the amount isn't what a person would call critical to make work, just no less than 1/4 cup and no more than 1/2 cup.
    Thanks! looked in 3 different Wal-Marts, no Peppermint Oil, just Peppermint Extract. I'll order some.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have heard them referred to a mahogany wasps. Was told, may be true, kill one with force, not soap or spray, and they all go nuts like killer bees. Spoke with a guy working on my house and said he encountered a nest in a well pump house. Said they made him so mad he got a can of starter fluid and lit the stream on fire and killed them all. A little too intense for me, but I agree with other members, stater fluid make for a good incect killer. I don't use it as a flame thrower.
    WD-40 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Mischocyttarus flavitarsis Paper Wasps

People give these and bees a bad reputation. I have lived and worked around these most of my life, taken nests down with a hammer, worked with my face inches away from their nest, had them land and crawl on me multiple times. I have never been stung by a wasp! I was bit by one once, that did get my attention.

Hornets and yellow jackets are a whole different story.
    In our area, the paper wasps are mostly Polistes Carolina.

Boolit Master
    I've this thread, and I will add that I've been experimenting with straight Dawn in a pump sprayer. The last couple weeks I've been killing them in the yard late in the evening, they like to land in the grass and that's when I blast them. It takes about 8-10 seconds with a good hit, but it kills them dead, it also kills fire ants too! I just stomp the ground to stir them up, and spray them good. I takes about 5 five minutes to kill them. I have started an all out assault on wasps!

Boolit Master

I'll remove wasps that are in areas I need to be in, but I generally won't go genocidal on them removing them from my property enmasse. Wasps are hunters. In my area, many wasps kill spiders. I like wasps just a hair better than spiders.. So I leave wasps in areas I dont frequent to give the spiders something to worry about.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I tried Sea Spray thinking it would be like WD-40; boy were they ever stirred up! Didn't kill any either, just made em rabid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123