Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody cast fishing jigs?

Boolit Master
    I bought a jig mold with a variety of size cavities, some buck tail, thread, etc. I've never been able to get good jigs out of it even after trying all of the usual casting tricks. I did tie a buck tail with one of the 'better' ones using a makeshift vice, and caught a fish with it. I can see potential for another addiction. Think I'll try again with more heat and perhaps pure lead.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Which mold? I tie a lot of bucktails for fishing white/hybrid/striped bass here.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

I haven't done it in a while but I never had any trouble casting jigs (down to 1/8 oz) and spinner baits using straight ww metal. I just preheated the mold in an aluminum foil tent over my RCBS furnace while the lead melted. I still have some of the molds and should sell them as I no longer fish.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Which mold? I tie a lot of bucktails for fishing white/hybrid/striped bass here.
    I just dragged it out ... it's a Do-It JRS-5-A mold with five cavities from 1/8 to 5/8 oz jigs.

The next time I cast some boolits, I'm give it another try.
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 07-12-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Model number
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I haven't cast any jig heads in a while but I never had any trouble with fill out and set the hooks with a pair of needle nose tweezers. I was using mostly pure and was ladle casting
    with an old Lee 4# pot. If I wanted the jigs a bit lighter I would use WW lead.

I hate those family molds, you need one or two sizes and you have to basically use them for single
    cavity pour. I have some very small molds 100th & 64th oz. as well as some toy molds that have
    very fine detail. Soldiers with rifles and Indians with arrows. With these I super heat the lead with
    a propane torch on the ladle between pot and mold. Never fail to fill out with this method. The
    smaller and finer detail, pure lead super heat. A lot of scrap lead contains zinc, which is a pain on
    1/8oz and smaller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12