WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 223 Rem Question?

Boolit Buddy

223 Rem Question?

Is there a bolt action rifle that has a twist rate that will stabilize heavy for caliber bullets? Such as 60 Gr and heavier. I am not interested in a AR for some reason I can't get exicited about them.

Boolit Master
    I can't answer the whole question-- not sure about heavier bullets. However, The CZ-527 comes in 223 Remington with a 1 in 9" twist-- which I think will do that. I have the CZ-527 FS model (full length stock). It is bolt action, 1:9 twist, and is very, very accurate with 62 grain bullets, but I have not tried heavier yet. It is also very nice for target work (set trigger, essentially free-floating barrel, open sights and scope mounting lands).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the bolt guns are either 1:9 which May do 60-68 and then
    1:12 which is for up to 55 or so.

What's the intended purpose?

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master

I have a H&R Handi .223 that has a 1 in 9. It really likes the Saeco 60gr. RN and I have had limited success with the NOE 80gr. SP Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I am trying to get one rifle for varmints and fun but also in a pinch use for larger game. I no longer hunt big game and have sold my 30-06 but if I have to would like a rifle that I could use for that purpose with Nosler Partitions. The CZ sounds interesting. Have a 522 American that is lights out for a Long Rifle.

I don't think you would go wrong with the CZ, I love my CZ 527 in 7.62X39. It's a very nice mini-Mauser and the rifling on mine was very smooth right out of the box. It did take a hundred or so rounds to clean up the bolt throw but I have it running smoothly now. You might think of getting the 7.62X39 if you plan on hunting deer or such. Gp

According to the bullet manufacturers, you need a twist faster than 1 in 9 for bullets heavier than 70 grains. Most are recommending 1 in 7 at least>
    I have 2 Savage rifles in 223 with 1 in 9 twist barrels. They are great with 69 grain bullets. Not so much with heavier bullets. I tried some heavies but the groups just weren't that good. Nothing tumbled but I was hoping for better than 4 inches at 200 yards.
    With the 69 grain Matchkings, both rifles shoot 1 inch or less at 200 yards. On a bad day I get 1.5 inches at 200 .

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    I am trying to get one rifle for varmints and fun but also in a pinch use for larger game. I no longer hunt big game and have sold my 30-06 but if I have to would like a rifle that I could use for that purpose with Nosler Partitions. The CZ sounds interesting. Have a 522 American that is lights out for a Long Rifle.
    Could you post a picture of the 522 American?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Have you thought about a 6mm caliber? A little more oomph for varmints and enough billet weight for larger. Nothing wrong with a 243 Win......... It's amazing what it does to critters with 55-60gr bullets.

Banned
    Art in Colorado,

In addition to the .243WCF, you may want to consider a .244 Remington/6mm Remington. = Either "marking", as they are essentially the same, are FLAT-shooting, fully acceptable for pronghorn/WT, work well for prairie dogs/chucks/coyotes/etc., inexpensive/easy to reload & have little recoil.
    (Most of the rifles marked .244REM won't stabilize a bullet over 90 grains but I really don't see that as a handicap for the game that they are suitable for.)

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry-452 American. Tired from full day of travel,

Boolit Master

My Winchester Model 70 (push feed) heavy barrel rifle with a 1 in 9" twist will handle 69 grain SMKs very well and will shoot the Hornday 75 grain HPBT match bullet, but not the Hornady tipped A-Max bullet which is slightly longer than the HPBT version. The most accurate varmint bullet in it is the Hornady 60 grain flat based V-Max bullet.

The rifle is set up for either National Match or varmint shooting with a change from the scope to Redfeild International sights and removing the bipod for a hand stop in the accessory rail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colo 03-Cropped-800.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

From the factory twist rate reference, in a sticky located in our gunsmithing section:

223 Remington - 1 in 7"....Colt; Ruger Precision; Eagle Arms Eagle Eye; H&K SL-8

223 Remington - 1 in 8"
    ....Eagle Arms Golden Eagle, Armalite

223 Remington - 1 in 9"
    ....Colt; Win 70 HBV; Savage 110, 112, 116; Steyr/Aug-SA; Eagle Arms std models; Savage; Win 70

223 Remington - 1 in 10"
    ....Ruger Mini-14 & #1

223 Remington - 1 in 12"
    ....Colt Bolt Action, AR-15; Rem 760, 700, 788, 7; H&R; Sako; Savage 340; Win 70; T/C Contender, Encore & Rifle; Ruger # 1, 77; NEF/H&R Handi-Rifle, Howa; CZ

223 Remington - 1 in 14"
    ...... .Rem 40-XB; HVA; Savage 24F, 24V, 340; Wichita; Weatherby Vanguard; Cooper

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Late last year I picked up a T/C Venture in 223 with a 1/12 twist. I have been quite happy with it. With jacketed 55's it was sub-MOA with all my reloads from hot to leisurely. It took a little while to determine that it liked my heavier CB's (58 gr vs 52 gr) and they needed to be loaded a little hotter than I was accustomed with all my other CB 22 cal rifles like my Hornet and the 222. A velocity of about 2150 fps with slower burning powder like 3031 turned out to be the right pairing.

Boolit Master
    rem 760 will do good with 50 gr up it dont like the 40 or 45 gr the 52 hp will cover all needs and it likes the 55 gr cast

Boolit Master

seems that your list forgot the Marlin X7 Varmint, Bolt Action, .223 Remington, 26" Heavy Varmint Barrel, with 1:9 twist was only out there for a very few years but it exists
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

The Howa mini-mauser in .223 Remington is a 1 in 9 twist and should handle bullets up to 69 gr. in weight.

Boolit Master
    I have the Ruger American Ranch and the Predator. Both 1-8". They shoot 60 V-Max fine.