Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Basic buckshot/slug loading?

Boolit Bub

Basic buckshot/slug loading?

I know it's not worth the time/effort/money to reload standard 12 gauge shotshells but I would like to reload some buckshot and/or slugs.

I've got a bunch of winchester AA shells, a press (MEC) and will soon have a bunch of 00 buckshot via Lee casting 00 buckshot mold.

looking for wad info and powder recommendations. I have a ton of pistol and rifle powders but not much shotgun specific. The only one I have that I've seen in a few guides is Unique. I don't mind buying a pound or two of powder to try out. I don't think I'll load up 1k of these but wouldn't mind having some around.

from what I have read it sounds like if you want to use 9 00 buckshot in a 12 gauge you will more than likely have to cut the petals off the wad and use it that way.

I did get the Lyman shotshell handbook a few days ago and have been reading thru it. the 9 pellets should be the same as any other 1 1/8oz loads, but figured I'd check with the good folks here and see if anyone has a favorite load. It would mostly be used in an 1187 remington semi so something that will function in a semi would be nice.

lastly if anyone knows of a good slug mold that would allow me to load a similar load to the buckshot (i.e. 1oz or 1 1/8oz slug that might use the same power and wad (different grain powder is fine) that would be ideal. Lyman makes some good ones from what I see (12 gauge foster slug mold is where I was probably headed).

any thoughts or suggestions as I wade into shotgun reloading? long time pistol/rifle reloader, but haven't done shotgun for many moons so it was time to get a new press (picked up a 9000 for 12 gauge and still have my VersaMec for 20, and technically a Lee for 16 that I inherited).

Boolit Buddy
    Go to Ballistic Products. They have a good loading book for slugs and buckshot, along with an extensive amount of wads, crimpers, components.

Don

Boolit Bub
    I looked at the BP website and have the Lyman shotgun reloading manual. Just hoping for some simple recommendations for somewhere to start. I'll order wads and the buckshot book from them but instead of just ordering the book and then waiting a week for it to show up and then decipher what to order for wads or other stuff was hoping to get a head start and somewhere to begin.

Ideally just something simple like Blue Dot, WAA12 wads (cut the petals off) and figure out what charge works best in your gun.

Boolit Master

Here's some good loads, page 35. I loaded a bunch of the AA hulls, 2nd load from bottom w/32 gr 800x. Excellent out of full choke. USE HARD LEAD to cast your pellets. I had a bunch of the old 12R wads they don't make any more, but you can get subs from Precision Reloading. Put a little buffer in bottom of wad first, then stack pellets (8), more buffer and shake down. Put 2 or 3 in your face at 50 yds out of my 870. Remember it's pellets on target that count, not number of pellets in the load, and I use an 8 or 10" circle to test. Best 00 load out of a bunch I tried and included some 12 pellet 3" load.
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf

PS. Use a thin tyvek (BPI) piece over buffer to keep it from leaking. Get enough buffer so it cover the pellets, keep tapping it down. It's a really thin flexible round that doesn't effect crimp.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

The best smoothbore slug I found was the 7/8 oz Lee. The .678 roundball in wad is a winner at 50 yds at least. BIG LEAD! Soft lead for these and shoot from cylinder or IC barrel.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

the 678 round ball seems interesting ,alot here use it and fits good in a wad , think I'll get a mold and try it out

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lee also does a 1 oz key slug if you wanna slug a big larger... a real keeper and east to cast...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

You want fast and hard or light and tactical? I use 20gr of green dot with rem gameload hulls, 12l wad and lee buck stacked by 2's,around 1150fps, cycled shotgun fine on starting load of 18gr. same load with the 12l wads, cut the petals off and stacked by 3's, though that load roughed up the hulls. I got the green dot loads off the bpi load curmudgeon page.

I would not agree with that opinion that it is not worth it.

But then I am retired and have time to kill.

Yes I can buy cheap Federal loads at Walmart for about 25 cents a round.

Or I could buy at the time New primed rio hulls at a dime each. Wads at 7$ for 250.
    Shot I made in my garage, or buckshot, or slugs, or punkin balls. Hulls were primed so no extra cost there.

But I don't figure my time because walking down to the basement and spending half an hour loading a box or 2 of #1 buckshot tactical loads with new hulls, nice tight crimps, my father in law used to reload and he thought I was pulling a fast one on him.

He said that is a factory load. Well, half right at least. It was a new hull.

All depends on how you figure your time. If you enjoy what you are doing, well won't you spend money to do it?

Boolit Bub

I cast the 1 oz key Forester slug,
    To use the wads I have on hand, I add a felt pad.
    Worked up a load of Unique under a chronograph.
    Patterns real well at 80 yards with my Moss 930 JM Pro.
    Reduce the issue, ignore the drama

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Lee also does a 1 oz key slug if you wanna slug a big larger... a real keeper and east to cast...
    Yup, they are a keeper and easy to cast.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I would not agree with that opinion that it is not worth it.

But then I am retired and have time to kill.

Yes I can buy cheap Federal loads at Walmart for about 25 cents a round.

All depends on how you figure your time. If you enjoy what you are doing, well won't you spend money to do it?
    I agree. I reload about 18 different calibers for rifles and pistols but rarely shoot shotguns at all (it's probably been more than 3 years). I will probably get set up at some point to reload 28 as that's one of the more expensive to shoot, and I have a decent amount of 410 shells around. Mainly just want to be able to reloading things if I have to vs. actually using it for everyday shooting. I have a 9 year old daughter and hoping to get her into doing a bit of shooting (she does a bit of 22 with me now) but without good property nearby to shoot (working on that) and working/school for her, time is a big limiting factor.

But I appreciate all of the feedback so far. I'll start casting some buckshot up and make up a few loads and see what I come up with. The info above will get me started!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by vepr12dude View Post
    You want fast and hard or light and tactical? I use 20gr of green dot with rem gameload hulls, 12l wad and lee buck stacked by 2's,around 1150fps, cycled shotgun fine on starting load of 18gr. same load with the 12l wads, cut the petals off and stacked by 3's, though that load roughed up the hulls. I got the green dot loads off the bpi load curmudgeon page.

I could see having both. I"m not averse to having some hotter loads, and try to have both on hand in many of my "standard" calibers. For example, I have a ammo can of 240gr lead 44 mag loads with a pretty light powder charge (maybe #7 just because I had a bunch of it and it seems to work well) and then a smaller can of 240gr XTP JHP's with a decent charge of H110. Funny with friends, we shoot the 240gr LRN stuff for a while and they get used to it, usually they joke about how it's really not bad shooting a 44 magnum. So I offer a few "full house" rounds and they get a feel for the capabilities of the round. Don't shoot those very often but fun to have them around.