Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best lube for sizing greatly oversized boolits???

Boolit Master

I have sized a 287405 which dropped from the mold at .290 down to .280 to fit my M77.

The lube groves on the 287405 are the same diameter as that of the 280468. It took three passes, 1 @ .287 1 @ .284 and then .280. Make sure you check on the 1 sizing operation. I had size nose 1st on the 2nd and 3rd operations.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Try Hornady One Shot.
    This is what I use for sizing, though again I haven't done that large of a diameter change before. I found it provides just enough slickness to make resizing a snap.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I have sized a 287405 which dropped from the mold at .290 down to .280 to fit my M77.

The lube groves on the 287405 are the same diameter as that of the 280468. It took three passes, 1 @ .287 1 @ .284 and then .280. Make sure you check on the 1 sizing operation. I had size nose 1st on the 2nd and 3rd operations.
    Thank you dsh1106....I have resigned myself to the fact that three steps is likely the best way to do that much sizing...I had hoped to get away with two, actually even one in the very beginning, but I think three is going to be the "right" answer.
    FWIW: Lee Precision has a piece of equipment that is broke down right now, so custom sizers are going to take six to eight weeks until they get that piece of equipment back on line.....

The Lady answering the phone, the Lady with the sweetest voice on earth, briefly mentioned the details, but it was more than this old mind could absorb in the couple of minutes we talked.

Thanks for all the kind replies....."muchly" appreciated! ( I strongly suspect the term muchly appreciated is 10X greater than greatly appreciated.)
    The ready reference of hundreds, if not thousands, of such sharp minds, with years of experience, is really hard to beat. I for one am thankful for such a brotherhood. So a big Thank You to all of you.

Respectfully, Russ...
    Last edited by RBak; 08-05-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a hoot.
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have trouble finding the Bag Balm give STP Oil Treatment a try. That stuff is super slick.
    I had a bunch of 303 British Enfield cases that had been fired in machine guns, WWII tolerances most have been extremely generous. STP was my last resort and allowed resizing without pulling a rim off. the other "commercial" lubes I tried were all lacking....the STP allowed easy in and easy enough out that I didn't think the rim was going to pull off.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Panlube first, then size as usual.
    With the grooves filled they wont distort under sizing.
    This, fill the grooves first. I've sized from 326 to 314 in one step but definitely need the grooves filled.

Banned
    Personally I would rather trade or simply re-cast to the correct size.

Boolit Mold
    You can also get Lansinoh HPA Lanolin in the baby aisle by all the breast pumps.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by pitchfire View Post
    You can also get Lansinoh HPA Lanolin in the baby aisle by all the breast pumps.
    Geeesh! The things we learn as we go through life!
    I have never as much as heard of that before, although I do use Anhydrous Lanolin in several things I do / use.
    Gotta look this stuff up.

Thanks a bunch.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12