Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best lube for sizing greatly oversized boolits???

Boolit Buddy

Best lube for sizing greatly oversized boolits???

What is the best lube for oversized bullets.
    I've been searching the archives for help on this, but I'm not finding what I want.

Is it possible to size down .007 pure lead, or is that asking for too much at one time?
    I have done as much as .004 and that was a walk in the park, no problem at all, and all I've ever used was Lee Alox that comes with their push-thru sizers.

I have a couple of presses that should be up to the task, insofar as leverage and strength, but then again, maybe not.
    (I have a very old Lyman All American, and a RCBS (I don't know the mdl. but it's the standard big one.) I have those two along with a couple Lee's for smaller dedicated chores just so I don't have to change out and adjust dies all the time.)

I may need to get another larger die in order to step-down that much. but I would like to avoid that cost, and that extra step in sizing, if at all possible.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master
    I haven't done that much in one step. But, I have found that the push thru Lee dies do a more even job and better looking than my LEC sizer luber. The latest is a heavy 44 that cast about.004-.005 oversize. I tumble lube prior to sizing, then reg lube or tumble as the mood suits.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Panlube first, then size as usual.
    With the grooves filled they wont distort under sizing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Panlube first, then size as usual.
    With the grooves filled they wont distort under sizing.

Good advice.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

It can be done in one pass with a special sizer. Make one with 2 sizing rings. the first removes.004 the next .003. These would need to be the length of the bullet apart but most press mounted sizers have the needed length for this type of set up. I would have a 1 1/2* - 2* lead into both rings. The pusher rod would need to be long enough to push the bullet thru both completely. Once the size die is made then the procedure is tumble lube and dip or pan lube then the one pass thru the custom size die. This die will make one pass 2 step sizing as fast and easy as 1 step.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the responses.
    I suspect my real question is, is there one lube better than another when it comes down to resizing the hard jobs?

Or, is the Lee Alox about as good as it gets?

Russ

Boolit Master
    A 50/50 lanolin-vasaline mix is a great case lube. It should make running a boolit thru a sizer easy. It doesn't take much.

swamp

Boolit Master
    My only experience is with alox which works well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    A 50/50 lanolin-vasaline mix is a great case lube. It should make running a boolit thru a sizer easy. It doesn't take much.

swamp
    Thanks Swamp, that's easy enough to do, got 'em both handy and ready to go!

I have heard / read somewhere that STP used very sparingly is often the ticket, but I can't recall the details of using it.....supposedly STP has very high, if not the highest slickest / lubricity properties, without the tearing or shearing of the alloy.
    I have no clue as to the truth of that, but I have used STP for lubing brass.

I don't have any Imperial Sizing Lube on hand, but I do have some "Rooster" sizing lube, wonder if anybody has tried either of these for those really tough jobs?

Thanks for the replies.

Russ

Boolit Master
    The Lanolin/Vaseline is good to size. Not as a lube for shooting. You will still need to use a regular lube on them. Don't want to mislead or cornfuse.
    swamp

Boolit Buddy

The Lanolin/Vaseline is good to size. Not as a lube for shooting. You will still need to use a regular lube on them. Don't want to mislead or cornfuse.
    swamp
    Gotcha! Thanks.

Russ...

Boolit Grand Master

Also the light coating of lanolin vasoline might need to be removed before the shooting lube is applied it might keep the other lube from sticking.

Boolit Master

swamp
    I use a finger swipe of Bag Balm whenever I have to size down cast boolits by a good amount.

www.bagbalm.com

It has a Petrolatum Lanolin base.
    (read that as Lanolin, and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly basically)

I think of it as pre-mixed Lanolin, and 1 can will last an incredibly long time.

I recently sized down some extremely hard NOE 360-180WFN boolits cast from Mono-type. They were sized down from .364 to .358 in one pass, using just a finger wipe of Bag Balm. It greatly reduces the sizing effort involved.

Bag Balm is also typically available at your local drug store in most areas, or if you are more rural, at the feed and fuel store.

I've been using Bag Balm for quite a few years now as a case lube, and boolit sizing lube after reading about it here on Cast Boolits. I couldn't be any happier with it.

I even keep a little squeeze tube of "Bag Balm On-The-Go"

Inside my portable reloading bag, along with my hand press.

For use as a case lube to help ease the effort required when full length sizing brass, even in conjunction with carbide dies. It's nice on chapped lips, and helps keep your hands soft as well.

- Bullwolf

Anything with lanolin is good in my experience.

I did not have any vasoline so I ended up making some DIY stuff that is very similar. Coconut oil, beeswax, and olive oil. Then I later got some Lanolin and blended a similar amount in. So roughly equal parts of those 4. Melted in the microwave in a pop bottle with the top cut off, then mixed while it cooled.

Just a smidge works wonders for any sizing, I do full length sizing of my 7.62x54r on my lee hand press with this. Just a smear on a couple of fingers is enough to do a whole box.

Seems to work well in guns as well where you want a lube that won't migrate away. Stays where you put it. I have had no problems with gumming up.

If I was to ever do another batch just for guns I'd probably swap ATF II or III for the olive oil. Ohh did I mention this stuff is good on skin?

Boolit Buddy

Great stuff! Thanks for all the information!

Russ...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Anything with lanolin is good in my experience.

I did not have any vasoline so I ended up making some DIY stuff that is very similar. Coconut oil, beeswax, and olive oil. Then I later got some Lanolin and blended a similar amount in. So roughly equal parts of those 4. Melted in the microwave in a pop bottle with the top cut off, then mixed while it cooled.

Just a smidge works wonders for any sizing, I do full length sizing of my 7.62x54r on my lee hand press with this. Just a smear on a couple of fingers is enough to do a whole box.

Seems to work well in guns as well where you want a lube that won't migrate away. Stays where you put it. I have had no problems with gumming up.

If I was to ever do another batch just for guns I'd probably swap ATF II or III for the olive oil. Ohh did I mention this stuff is good on skin?
    I use the same ingridiants (different ratio) for lip balm.
    swamp

Yes I have put this into chapstick tubes for my wife. Works great.

I think you can juggle with the amounts to get the consistency you like.

An empty water bottle with the top cut off, put some in, microwave for 1-2 min melts it. Makes it easy to pour into tubes.

Recently got some Hemp and Jojoba oils for chapstick type uses also.
    Wife is enjoying playing with colors/flavors.

Moderator Emeritus

At .007 you run the risk of removing lube grooves, even if filled.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    At .007 you run the risk of removing lube grooves, even if filled.
    MT Gianni, you're spot on, according to my best measurements.
    But that would be just fine with me, and is actually a goal.
    That way I can Paper Patch it back up very close to exactly what I want.

I have been told, over the years, that if you have substantial lube grooves exposed after sizing, lubing that bullet, ie filling the lube grooves, then patchin over them is the way to go.
    Not sure of the wisdom in that, but I have been doing it for years and it seems to work just fine.
    Is it better than patchin over lube grooves without them being filled???

I've done it both ways, and I'm just not sure if it is any better, as I've never noticed any 'remarkable' difference in group size, some argue it is better and give a good argument as to the reasons why, why others say it ain't worth the time and trouble....what's a Mother to do???
    To each his own, and the difference IMHO is one of splitting some pretty fine hairs.

I think I'm going to have to break down and buy that second sizer, wish I could do .007 with one die, but I think I was a bit unreasonable for me to think I could make that happen, albeit I'm sure glad I asked the question....ya learn a little something everyday and I've picked up a few nice things right here in this thread.

Russ...

Boolit Buddy
    Try Hornady One Shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast