RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 in .45 Colt

Banned

Rossi 92 in .45 Colt

Took this out to mess with it after a long hiatus an like the little rifle. It's not drilled for a conventional receiver sight, so looks like I'm stuck with open sights for the foreseeable future.

Loads today were kind of standard plinkers, Lee 255 RFN and 6.5 grains of Red Dot. I also have Lyman 255 grain SWC (452424 I think?) of my Dad's and also a very similar SAECO mold I can use. I know the standard equivalent to the traditional black powder loading is around 8.5 to 9 grains of Unique and a 250ish grain bullet, so this is kind of what I'd like to go with since it works well in my Blackhawks.

Where I've done most of my deer hunting the past few years is from a stand in a big locust tree in the middle of a natural choke point where they move from feeding areas to bedding areas and back. I've killed quite a few from that stand and the shots are usually very close at unsuspecting deer, broadside more often than not. I'm thinking those standard level .45 Colt loads would work fine, especially since that Saeco bullet has a sizeable meplat.

Any thoughts on this? I'm guessing alloy won't make much difference with a bullet this big at these speeds.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt strictly as a paper puncher, which is fitted with a Lyman No.2 Tang sight item No.3902094.

The rear peep sight gives you a longer sight radius and helps to improve accuracy.
    ukrifleman.

I fitted my .45 Rossi 92 with a Williams 5D-94SE receiver peepsight, meant for the angle-eject Winchester 94.

I had to D/T one 6-48 hole atop the rear of the top of each receiver sidewall to accept it, but since it carries the aperture holder bar behind the sight base ILO atop it, it readily zeroed (within 5 shots) using the issue height Rossi front sight blade.

Mine had the bolt top lawyer safety, which I replaced with a low-profile plug (w/o removing the bolt).

Alternatively, the Williams Foolproof FP-94SE sight mounts the same way, but @ 2X the cost of the 5D, has micrometer w/e adjusters ILO sliding adjusters secure via grubscrews.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

I shot aperture sights much, much better than open sights and for any serious hunting rifle that doesn't wear a scope, that's what they have.

Problem is, I dislike tang sights on a lever rifle as they seem to be right in the way of any method I have of naturally gripping the rifle. I'd really like to have something that mounted on the side of the receiver like most lever guns are drilled for. Williams, Lyman and Redfield have all made good ones. I might just have the rifle drilled if I can figure out one that works.

That said, in the deer spot I described, open sights would do fine unless it was really pushing dawn or dusk with low light. I'm more interested in what the terminal performance of what many today consider a pretty mild load would be.

Vendor Sponsor

45 colt would do very well in this situation . I would use a 49/49/2 COWW, PB, tin alloy but a 98/2 COWW/Tin should do well too

Good luck and keep us updated
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I fitted my .45 Rossi 92 with a Williams 5D-94SE receiver peepsight, meant for the angle-eject Winchester 94.

I had to D/T one 6-48 hole atop the rear of the top of each receiver sidewall to accept it, but since it carries the aperture holder bar behind the sight base ILO atop it, it readily zeroed (within 5 shots) using the issue height Rossi front sight blade.

Mine had the bolt top lawyer safety, which I replaced with a low-profile plug (w/o removing the bolt).

Alternatively, the Williams Foolproof FP-94SE sight mounts the same way, but @ 2X the cost of the 5D, has micrometer w/e adjusters ILO sliding adjusters secure via grubscrews.

Fortunately, mine was made before the safeties. I like the Williams sights, rugged and repeatable adjustments. Seems like this would be a no brainer job for a gunsmith and should make the rifle a lot more shootable.

Boolit Buddy
    I love those rossi lever guns. Hope to have a pair in 45 colt and 357 mag in the nearish future

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CraigOK View Post
    I love those rossi lever guns. Hope to have a pair in 45 colt and 357 mag in the nearish future
    The trigger on this one could use some work. Other than that, I'm real impressed by the finish and workmanship. Feeds semi wadcutters very well too, which surprised me a bit. They're pretty good little rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in 357. Regarding the sights, the factory sights on mine were about worthless. There are several options. There is a guy (Steves guns) in Texas that sells a peepsight that replaces the lawyer safety on the bolt. that worked pretty well but it wasn't compatible with longer ranges and my 60+ year old eyes. Check under the front sight. On the later models there are screw holes for a sight base. It allows for a long eye relief scope to be used that doesn't interfere with the ejection port. I used a 2x pistol scope on mine and it works well. Good fix if you don't have objections to a scope on a lever gun.
    siamese4570

Banned

Mine doesn't have the safety hole, and the front sight seems to be part of the barrel band there, so not sure how to replace it.

I'm liking the idea of the Williams '94 sight, I think that's the route I'll go if I decide to do more with it.

Boolit Buddy
    rich, sorry, I meant check under the rear sight for the scope base mounting holes.
    siamese4570

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a blued 357 Rossi (the one in my avitar) which is my go to plinking carbine. It was a cheap second hand one that has had thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. I also have a SS 44Mag carbine which hasn't seen much use as I am not that fond of the sights.

My mate is getting too old to shoot (he is actually a couple of years younger than me, haha) and wants / needs to get rid of some guns. I will take one off his hands and the only thing that is not a weirdo wildcat is a 45Colt 92 Rossi which I need like a hole in the head. The other rifles are things like a single shot Omark target rifle converted to 22/6mmRemington and a 20/222 and a 20/30M1Carbine.

So it looks like I'm going to be Rossi rich and dollar poor. I have a pair of New Model Vaqueros in 45Colt, so it might work out well. Hopefully I can get a cowboy level load to work in all three (he's dreaming!).
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

I have a 45C in a Rossi 92 with standard loading for a 255 grain bullet all I have shot (animals Deer and Hogs) have fell like they were pole axed.I think the design parameter on the black powder bullet load was shoot through they horse and kill the Indian hiding on the other side.If so this wasn't a wuss load to play with.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Early models didn't have the extra holes but easy enough to drill and tap
    buy base from Swede
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103
    Rossi Model 92 Scope Mount P892 Black - Picatinny Scout Scope Rail for Braztech manufactured Rossi 92 round barrel rifles and carbines. Mount fits the barrel taper, and uses spec Picatinny spacing vs. the Weaver slots on the factory mount. Mount is made from 6061 aluminum extrusion. Both black & clear finishes are anodized vs. the Rossi black painted finish . Torx head screws are included instead of the factory slotted screws. Braztech round barrel rifles and carbines (16" & 20"), including Puma models imported through Legacy Sports, are drilled and tapped for the scout mount. The holes are located under the rear sight and the rear sight must be removed for scout mount use. The only except to the Braztech R92 are those chambered in 480 Ruger. These barrels have a different taper and are not drilled & tapped. Please look under your rear sight if there are any questions about whether your firearm is drilled & tapped. Amedeo Rossi manufactured firearms (pre-Braztech), including those imported through Interarms, Legacy, & others, are not drilled and tapped.
    Also in Silver tone for those SS guns

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-through-NOE!
    Last edited by Artful; 07-10-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Alternative from Googlage
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance

I have both a scout scope and Marbles tang sight on mine. I take the scope off if I am hunting piney woods rooters from the ground, but put it back on for tree stand work. I load both the Lee .255 grain FP and the LBT 280 LFN-GC in Star-line brass for the Rossi/Puma. Both are very accurate at 50 yards but the LBT will reach out to 100+ yards with real authority.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a pair , one pre safety one late model .
    I have killed 110-165# hogs from 7ft to 50 yd drt . The one that did run a ways was already running and had been shot at prior to me ......

I did work up a couple of real romper stompers for it and they would work well to 100 yd or so . They were a lot of fooling around and at the end of it all I ended up with 8.5 gr of Unique under a Lee 452-255@265gr or a 257gr 454424 being just as consistent under 75 yd .
    Alloy was 50/50 plus tin .
    These were probably as good as it gets for game . Those below were test and trial and not tried on game .

Due to the generous chambers I've done the 303 tape bit to better center the rear of the cases for fire form . Then I only size enough of the neck to get good seating .

As far as out in the weeds goes .
    Info from a 3rd party Quick load .
    Use at your own risk .
    I have loaded a 350 gr 457-340 Lee over a near full case of H322 .
    All indicators would suggest that it was under 20kpsi .
    My goal was the maximum bullet weight (length) for the twist and to stay subsonic , by the time the 50yd groups came together I was knocking on 1300 fps with round CCI large pistol primers . That being well beyond what I was after it was abandoned .

With H110 I was able to get 1450 with the 454424 Lyman and a 429426 that was relieved to .448 paper patched at 252 and 257 gr .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm thinking those standard level .45 Colt loads would work fine, especially since that Saeco bullet has a sizeable meplat. Any thoughts on this?
    Do a calculation .... Energy, Momentum and Taylor KO calculator
    http://handloads.com/calc/quick.asp
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator

.............I have a couple Rossi's. One is a 38/357 short rifle, below:

I was fooling around on Midway's clearance page one evening and they had this Uberti ladder rear sight for a friendly price.

It feeds these Lee Micro Band WC's just fine. About 50 yards is max (use them for ground squirrels) and a hit makes a mess out of them.

I also have a Rossi rifle (24" bbl) that is actually quite accurate with the Lee 459-340F, which is surprising as it has a 32" twist (I think it is). In fact it shoots better from the Rossi then it does from a Miroku/Win M92, in 45 Colt, and it has a 16" twist BTW, the barrel on the Rossi 45 Colt slugs at .446" x .450", so it's tight! Shallow grooves, but it seems to be not a problem. That's one of the 340gr Lee's on the lifter. OAL is 1.650".

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

So far, I'm still liking the Williams sight option best, and for the conditions I'd be hunting in, I think that 8.5 grains Unique and a 250ish grain SWC will work OK. I also might have to try Harter66's neck sizing method and see what that does for accuracy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast