RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O' CRUD moving after 47 years

Boolit Master
    Kinda fun finding all those 'new' forgotten toys.

Boolit Grand Master

Moving sucks, theres just no other word for it.

Moderator Emeritus

I used to be able to move in 3 pickup loads... and moved about every 3 years as rentals were sold out from under me. Then I bought this house in 1995... 2 years ago I looked at all the "stuff" I had laying around and decided it was house cleaning time. Tossed a lot of electronic junk(I repaired electronics) that I have not missed! Now I don't have piles of stuff all over in the way!

Boolit Master

And I was stressed moving after 23 years!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    If you sell everything you haven't needed in years then you have some money to buy what you might need and a lot less stuff to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ibuprofen is your friend take it before you hurt.
    Vicodin works better, the big dose, 10/325's, at bed time it's one 30mg morphine time released, I sleep a lot better but sometimes even the morphine won't kill the spine pain. It sucks getting old.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    You`re right.Moving sucks.Big time.Best of luck to ya in the new digs.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

My parents lived through the depression and taught me to hoard. They had lived in the same place for 65 years, and the place was full. I had also accumulated a forty-eight-year collection of precious junk. After their passing, I decided to move back home. Although only a two-block move, combining their stuff with mine was a disaster. I'm still moving, and it's been 6 years. My junk is easy to throw out, but knowing Mom and Dad considered it a treasure makes it hard.
    Sometimes I think good insurance and a fire would be a blessing. At least then the decision of value would be in someone else's hands.
    You fellows are adding many miles to the equation so I really feel for ya.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Vicodin works better, the big dose, 10/325's, at bed time it's one 30mg morphine time released, I sleep a lot better but sometimes even the morphine won't kill the spine pain. It sucks getting old.
    You're not taking enough!

My daily maintenance dose is 45 mg of morphine SR twice a day, 500 mg of naproxen twice a day, 300 mg of gabapentin 3x a day, Vicodin for breakthrough, as well as a couple of supplements I've found that REALLY help with the joint pain.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Freightman, (fitting name for moving LoL) Good luck with the move, I've been hauling loads to the dump this year to get rid of some of the 30 years of "stuff", still have boxes from when we moved here and never opened. I can not imagine having to move, yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    You're not taking enough!

My daily maintenance dose is 45 mg of morphine SR twice a day, 500 mg of naproxen twice a day, 300 mg of gabapentin 3x a day, Vicodin for breakthrough, as well as a couple of supplements I've found that REALLY help with the joint pain.
    Good Lord! I'm taking all I can tolerate and still function, the morphine makes me very sleepy, a lump on a log, I can't take it during the day. I have to take care of this old house myself and work through it. I plan out a days worth of jobs that need to be done and hit it, then days of rest recouping. I can't see any sense in doing one job and taking a couple days to recoup, I may as well bang out as many as I can take in one shot and get it done. I have to keep moving and my mind on the tasks, once I stop and sit down the pain hits me and I'm done.

Moderator Emeritus

Listen to your body, when you sense pain level increasing take a break for 2-3 hours! I split big projects up that way. Work hard an hour or two, my back starts complaining I go do something where I can sit with good back support for 2-3 hours. I take 2 oxycontin(can take 3 but one is middle of the night if my back is keeping me awake) a day and up to 6 percocet for breakthrough pain. Lyrica twice a day too for nerve pain.

Back pain is something way to many people think is fake, they have no clue how badly it can impact a persons life.

Boolit Grand Master

Just because I'm stubborn and not because I'm tough, I only take pain meds when there is no alternative. I have several scripts for heavy pain meds that were never filled.
    Aug 2nd I'm to have the rotor rooter and stints procedure on my left leg and in 2 weeks the right. Doc says the weakness and pain are from lack of blood flow.
    I think it's mostly from deteriorated discs, but I ain't no Doc.
    I store all my loaded ammo, casting equipment, and supplies in a 4' tall crawl space, and this morning I tried to retrieve some brass from the back end. I got almost half way and my legs gave way. The pain made it hard to even crawl out. I'll have to spend the rest of the day prone.
    Getting old with worn out joints ain't for sissies.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Getting old with worn out joints ain't for sissies.
    Amen! When I was young a older gentleman once told me, "I'm a young man trapped in an old man's body" now I know just what he meant.

hard to throw away stuff I might in fifty years need
    NO, just take the stuff you want or need, leave the rest for the vultures (or yard sale?). Folks moved down here from the house they built in 47. I about cried when we had to leave all the shop tools in the basement but - I didn't have a place for it. Folks just took clothes, some mementos, a couple chairs they liked, Dads HiFi/stereo and Mom's 2 organs and left everything else for the buyer. Got the price they wanted too.
    Dad is gone now, Mom is in an assisted living home - visited yesterday - her memory is about gone now. Her oldest came in from Az couple weeks ago and she perked up pretty good.
    Last edited by popper; 07-08-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to moving out of Kali, but not looking forward to having to move 10 tons of machine shop equipment, tooling, antiques and other goodies; that's not counting lead.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    Kinda fun finding all those 'new' forgotten toys.
    That was the only good part. The best find were a pair of H2M .680" round ball molds that I forgot about.
    3 moves in 18 months was below average.
    I don't care if you are moving into a grand castle, moving blows. Never want to move again.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    NO, just take the stuff you want or need, leave the rest for the vultures (or yard sale?). Folks moved down here from the house they built in 47. I about cried when we had to leave all the shop tools in the basement but - I didn't have a place for it. Folks just took clothes, some mementos, a couple chairs they liked, Dads HiFi/stereo and Mom's 2 organs and left everything else for the buyer. Got the price they wanted too.
    Dad is gone now, Mom is in an assisted living home - visited yesterday - her memory is about gone now. Her oldest came in from Az couple weeks ago and she perked up pretty good.
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, we went through the same thing with our Mother. Dad had a brain tumor and was given a year, he told us kids we would have to keep and eye on Mom because she was forgetting things, less then a year after he passed Mom was found in her night clothes knocking on doors asking neighbors if they knew were her husband was, we had to put here in care, a year later it took her. It comforts me to know one day we'll all be rejoined and without the ill's of these bodies, until then I know they are both watching over us kids.

One thing I'll add, even though sometimes Mom forgot who we were and as terrible the fear must have been for her, she always had love in her heart and responded well to kindness no matter who she was with. She and a older gentlemen who had also lost much memory bonded in that home and were always sitting together, it really made us happy to know she found love even in the worst of times, I'm sure Dad would have approved.
    Last edited by benellinut; 07-08-2017 at 03:57 PM.

We moved several times early in our married life but last time was into home in '93. Built 30x30 shop, accumulated a bunch of stuff. Moved up here in 2010. I moved it pickup and trailer by pickup and trailer over about a 6 month period. Then sold the home and then move the shop into my garage. Then after 5 years moved out here. This time we hired local mover that worked by the box and piece for my ww equipment. Cost us a couple of thousand, but my back is much better off. We still moved a lot, but only about a third of our stuff. Hire it done

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I feel sorry for you. Only moved a couple times in the past 45 yrs. I wound donating a lot of stuff the the new buyers.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    A few years ago we moved after 34 years in a house. We donated a lot of stuff and I sold some of the bulkier items I didn't use anymore. I packed the reloading and other heavier man stuff in tomato boxes clearly labeled on both ends with what is in it. Sturdy boxes just the right size, have handle holes, you can stack them high, and they're free at grocery stores and restaurants. Banana boxes are good for the lighter items if you put a cardboard bottom over the hole in the bottom of them.

In our new house I tried to keep everything together that was together in the other house. Being able to associate something with another item will help locate it in the new place. I built an identical workbench at the new place and put several boxes of stuff in the same place on the shelves over the new workbench. I moved my storage shelves and cabinets so I could keep things pretty much together in the new place.

The moving experience convinced me to actively avoid obtaining even small items that may accumulate in my remaining years. I won't be getting any more components unless I use up what I have on hand. No more stockpiling for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast