Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just curious, does anyone cast for the 375 ruger? and how old is it?

just curious, does anyone cast for the 375 ruger? and how old is it?

seems like a neat cartridge and they say it is as powerful as the 375 h&h but in a significantly shorter package 3.340 OAL? I think??
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Lyman's 49th has like 16 loads for 264 and 335 gr boolits. So somebody is casting for it.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Perma-Banned
    That cartridge will never be as good with Cast Boolits as the 375 H&H. It is also a "one maker wonder" .... remember the 300 and 338 RCM ? A big blunt 300 gr boolit works fine in the H&H and as a fellow proved in Africa a few years ago will kill Buffs very dead. Loaded to 38-55 or 375 Win velocities it is nice to shoot and an excellent medium game choice.

NOE 379-279-FN 379449 works fine.

"The bigger the boolit, the easier to cast and get to shoot well."

yeah, just wondered, ive got my heart set on the 9.3X62 anyways, already have the accurate mold setup and everything

Banned
    OklahomaRebel,

Live game animals aren't killed any DEADER with the .375 H&H Magnum than they will be with a 9.3x62 (that you already own) or the 9.3x74. - The .375 H&H has much more muzzle blast & recoil than either 9.3mm cartridge.

IF I decide to go to a heavier caliber, it will be a JES re-bore to .400 Brown-Whelen Improved, which is the "ballistic twin" of the .404 Jeffery. = A quality 400 grain bullet at 2100FPS would likely take out a T. Rex, should you ever encounter one.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-06-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: missing word/typo

Boolit Buddy
    It's a 2007 introduction.
    Some of the cast data ranges from 249gr (1900fps) to 335gr (1810fps) with some of the jacketed stuff ranging from 225gr (3000fps) to 300gr (2620fps).
    Benny

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    OklahomaRebel,
    The 375 is a great package from Ruger, and just what kind of hunting, and at what velocity were you planning on pushing this cast boolit at? I know one can cast for just about any caliber, but some are designed for such high speed that loading it with a cast at much lower velocity diminishes the usefulness of the caliber. If you are looking to plink with this caliber, than get with some of our great mould makers here on the site and then get a big jug of Trailboss and cast and plink to your hearts content.

well I am planning on getting the 9.3X62, but was having last second thoughts about getting the 375, mainly a power thing though!lol, but that would also mean about 30 more grains of powder per round, more recoil, for not that much performance. I am planning on mainly hunting deer and hogs(I saw a 200pounder last hunt) with future hunts of elk, moose and grizz/brown bear on my bucket list. but the 9.3 can push the same weight boolit almost as fast. I am getting an accurate mold with a 250 and 285 gr boolit. I plan on trying for 2100-2150fps for the 285 and 2200-2300fps for the 250gr boolit. got any advice? oh the alloy I am making up is going to be 3.5-3.5-.25% to.5% copper.

hey tex, how can a 400 whelen be "improved", considering it doesn't have a shoulder if I remember correctly ( not trying to be a smart a, might be a dumb question though,lol) oh and I 4got in my last post I plan on using h4895

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    OklahomaRebel,

I think you have refined your thinking down to a workable plan. I like the 9.3 myself and I shoot a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 9.3X74, so I understand the desire to have options on what you are hunting and what you are using for a projectile. If you are getting your rifle new than you will not have to worry much about getting the bore clean of copper, if not than get ready to get her real clean and don't be mixing j words with cast of course unless you have too. I got a mould from NEI, but it was one that was made after the original founder and owner had died and it was nothing but a hassle and took over a year to get corrected, so I would go to NOE or LBT or Accurate if I were you.

Noticed you had bear on your bucket list, and not that a cast bollit will not take this animal, but I myself would avoid intentionally going after a brown or griz with a cast, for this critter I would be looking at something from the menu from Woodleigh. This animal has a very low respiration rate and do not usually go down easy, and the last thing you want to be doing is wandering around in the alders looking for a shot bear, so be sure you got enough bullet. If, and I mean If, I was to go after something that dangerous I would want something a little bigger, don't get me wrong, 9.3 is big enough to take down pachyderms, but the setting or how the actual situation of the shot can have a lot to do with the success of the caliber chosen. I would want a larger boolit and a heaver boolit if I were going after the brown or griz. Something like this: 450/400 N.E. with a 395 grain superhard alloy of around 30 or so.

so a 300 swift a-frame might look good on the bears menu? I have looked at the jacketed options as well, just for a situation like this. also looked at the hornady interlock in 286grs, have any thoughts on these two bullets?

so a 300 swift a-frame might look good on the bears menu? I have looked at the jacketed options as well, just for a situation like this. also looked at the hornady interlock in 286grs, have any thoughts on these two bullets? oh, and is that the 450/400ne next to a 9.3X62? its kinda hard to get the scale of the size from a computer picture thanks a lot!-Travis

THE MAIN REASON I WAS looking into the 375 is the better availability of components, but I think the pro's of the 9.3 outweight that one con. for instance ranchdog ( I think) and one other place provides gas checks.

Boolit Master

I've got a 375 H&H Encore barrel and I shoot 335gr boolits (Accurate mold) over RL7, shoots pretty good.

There are so many little pro and con's when you get into the area of 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 9.3x74, 375 Ruger. First I guess it would depend on how much recoil I want to deal with, granted when hunting you are never going to feel much recoil on the shot at game, but there is much shooting to do before the hunt and who wants to develop a flinch while practicing which is why I chose 9.3x74 and the 450/400 N.E. 3" for my medium bore large case calibers. I can load them down with cast, they are relatively straight walled in shape and are meant to be shot while standing up so they provide mostly a large push, all these calibers are going to be punishing when shot from a bench so keep that in mind. As to j-words I would go for the Swift A-frame over the Hornady, I might also speak to someone a Hawk to see what specialty bullets they have for bears too. As to the cartridge next to the 400 Jeffery(another name for the 450/400 N.E. 3") it is a ought six, not too much different in size to the 9.3x62. Ought six is a 7.62x63. There is nothing wrong using Hornady's 286 gr for the 9.3 I have six or seven boxes. I also just got some j-words from Graf and Sons from Prvi Partizan to try out to see how the group with my Ruger No.1 Here you can see the loaded 450/400 N.E. 3" next to a ought six.

This is the cast I am currently testing in the 9.3x74. Without lube or gas check applied. Thinking about the availability of components is important and also the quality of those components. Ranchdog, Accurate, NOE are all good brands. Remember, its the road trip not the destination that is the fun.

Moderator Emeritus

I knew a young man from Alaska who's father bought each of his kids 375 Rugers. As has been said it's a one maker cartridge but a sure game getter for heavy beasts.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

Actually the .400B-WI does have a shoulder, though a SMALL (and near 90 degree) one. = The problem that COL Whelen found with the "old-school .400 Whelen" was that it didn't headspace well/consistently, so the good COL gave up (too quickly, imo) on his invention.

Rather than me writing a "bunch of stuff", that you can read elsewhere, let me refer you to: BIG BORE RIFLES & CARTRIDGES, published by Wolfe Publishing, pages 219-223 for "more than you want to know" about the .400B-WI.
    (For those who don't think that the "small shoulder" is enough, a very similar wildcat can be ordered using the .240 Weatherby case & that headspaces on the belt.)

yours, tex

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

For some reason, the site isn't allowing me to "edit" my post above, so allow me to add the following: I received an email from a hunter in MN who shoots a Remington 700BDL in that caliber. - He said that he has had ZERO trouble with headspace in his rifle and made the "Texas heart-shot" from 250+Meters, into an elk in 2014.
    ("Your mileage may very.")

Robert H____________ said that he was shooting a 2% tin 375 GCCB at about 2100FPS. He tells me that the bullet entered the elk just below the tail, traveled the full length of the body & exited out the animal's throat. = GYD right there, according to the email.
    (The bullet was not recovered.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-09-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo

wow, that's pretty impressive performance! doesn't sound like a good time for the elk though!i have been wanting to get that big bore rifles book, can you find them new? or should I try amazon? yes, I looked at the bdl, but I decided that I liked the cz better,except for the 20.5"bbl, but apparently the diff. between a 20 and 24" barrel is only like 100fps, so I guess it makes no real difference.thank you guys for all the info.oh, one more thing, I like lee dies and they have a carbide 3 piece die set w/ fcd , they are as good as rcbs and lyman aren't they?( well, except for the m-die by lyman, I will get that separate). thanks-Travis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast