Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just curious, does anyone cast for the 375 ruger? and how old is it?

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

To me, the "pros" outweigh the "cons" for the 9.3x62, .375 Whelen & .400B-WI, as all can be made easily from .30-06 cases, are plenty powerful for most any big game & all are "cast bullet friendly".
    (I feel the same about 9.3x57, as those cases are easily made from 8mm Mauser, fine with GCCB & the old 9.3x57 is a GOOD round for taking moose, elk & the medium-sized bears.)

yours, tex

ok, thank you again for all that info. I was hoping to find someone like you that knew a lot about these calibers!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

Fyi, I'm FAR from an expert on those cartridges or most anything else.
    (Over the last 4 decades plus, I've owned any number of these rifles, in several "odd"/"obsolete" calibers, hunted with & liked them all. = That's why I bought the Model 760 as modified by JES.)
    Nonetheless, I discovered the 9.3x62 Mauser in 1970, when I was stationed in BRD with the Army. = One Sunday, I was at the RAFB Rod & Gun Club when another member asked me if I was interested in a "heavy-caliber rifle" at a great price. - The "heavy rifle" that he offered me was a circa 1920 "military surplus" 8mm Mauser that someone had modified into a hunting rifle & was topped with an "old school" 2X Austrian scope.
    (The USAF Captain was rotating to RVN & didn't want it anymore.)

Wasn't the handsomest rifle BUT it shot beautifully out to 250M+ & the European-style "post & bars" reticle was GREAT in the dark forests of BRD.
    (I finally gave it to a friend who was a Forstmeister, when I rotated.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-09-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add

maybe I am showing my age but what does BRD stand for?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

BRD is the abbreviation (in German) for West Germany, before the Berlin Wall came down.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Oklahoma Rebel,

Actually the .400B-WI does have a shoulder, though a SMALL (and near 90 degree) one. = The problem that COL Whelen found with the "old-school .400 Whelen" was that it didn't headspace well/consistently, so the good COL gave up (too quickly, imo) on his invention.

yours, tex
    This is not correct. The .400 Whelen was always an improved cartridge. Other (ignorant) people created the (incorrect) headspace myth by assuming that the cartridge was a .30-06 necked up. It is not. The original shoulder of a .400 Whelen is .458" and headspaces just fine.

http://www.finegunmaking.com/page33/page51/page51.html
    http://finegunmaking.com/page33/page52/page52.html
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-10-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    USMC 6638

Banned
    oldblinddog,

I refuse to argue with you. - I'm going by & refer you to the text of BIGBORE RIFLES & CARTRIDGES, published by Wolfe Press, pages 219-223.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-11-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedJackson View Post
    That cartridge will never be as good with Cast Boolits as the 375 H&H.
    Wonder how that bullet knows which cartridge it was fired out of?

I bought one of the LH stainless laminated guns at a really good price. I shot a big doe year before last with a cast NOE hollow point going around 1900 fps. I basically filled the cast to the shoulder with a 50 BMG powder and used a magnum primer. Performance has been excellent.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Wonder how that bullet knows which cartridge it was fired out of?

I bought one of the LH stainless laminated guns at a really good price. I shot a big doe year before last with a cast NOE hollow point going around 1900 fps. I basically filled the cast to the shoulder with a 50 BMG powder and used a magnum primer. Performance has been excellent.
    How's the recoil?

Banned
    Elkins45,

Would your .375 H&H rifle be a CA-USA Safari 550LH Magnum by chance??
    (Even at the @1500.oo price, I've been sorely tempted to buy one from a LGS in Dallas. - I just wish that CZ made the 550 in LH with the "Continental stock" that extends to the muzzle, like the ones that they sell OCONUS.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    oldblinddog,

I refuse to argue with you. - I'm going by & refer you to the text of BIGBORE RIFLES & CARTRIDGES, published by Wolfe Press, pages 219-223.

yours, tex
    I used to own that book. It is a collection of articles from Rifle/Handloader magazines. While there is some good info there, it does have mistakes.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Elkins45,

Would your .375 H&H rifle be a CA-USA Safari 550LH Magnum by chance??
    (Even at the @1500.oo price, I've been sorely tempted to buy one from a LGS in Dallas. - I just wish that CZ made the 550 in LH with the "Continental stock" that extends to the muzzle, like the ones that they sell OCONUS.)

yours, tex
    My 375 is a 375 Ruger made by Ruger.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    How's the recoil?
    Not much different than a full powered 30-06 in a normal weight rifle. With a full jacketed load it is stout, but not punishing.
    NRA Endowment Member

Banned
    Elkins45,

OK. - Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Fyi, I've never even seen a .375 Ruger "in the flesh", though I've read articles about them.

yours, tex

Banned
    Happy Warrior,

IF/WHEN (I'm saving my nickels & dimes, as I've bought way too many rifles lately.) I have one of my .30.06 long-action Remington Model 760 rifles "reformatted" to .400B-WI, it will be done by JES & his work, imo, is flawless.
    (The 760 in 9.3x62 by JES is PEERLESS & shoots better than I do these days. - IF I miss, it's my fault.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-11-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master

My 375 H&H is an all stainless steel M70 Winchester. I push 270 - 280 gr cast at 2450 fps. It certainly wouldn't bother me to pursue briere bruin with it. As to recoil.....if I expected to have 30-30 recoil I'd use a 30-30.....however I came to dance and expect to pay the band......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be the candyass. A Howa with 24-12t will fling the 375449 (powder coat, plain base) with 18 Blue Dot all day and stay at one minute. There are some bargains around in that caliber that should be useful cast shooters with the volume turned down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    I'll be the candyass. A Howa with 24-12t will fling the 375449 (powder coat, plain base) with 18 Blue Dot all day and stay at one minute. There are some bargains around in that caliber that should be useful cast shooters with the volume turned down.
    Interesting, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Not much different than a full powered 30-06 in a normal weight rifle. With a full jacketed load it is stout, but not punishing.
    Hmm. I was offered a Mossberg Patriot in the caliber. If it had been a different gun, maybe, hut the Mossberg rifles never quite feel well put together to me. Appreciate the insight.

In Remembrance

A few months back I read an article in either Rifle or Handloader magazine about the .400 H&H ( an opened up .375 H&H case to .40 caliber). Looked interesting to me, if I was 40 years younger I might have to make one up.Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12