RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonable accuracy expectation for 10/22 take down?

I don't have any Experience with their take downs but after you solve the head spacing nut problem don't give up until you have tried the gun with multiple different shells.
    I have sighted in probably 20+ different 22's and I refuse to use match ammo for plinkers. I have been amazed at what a change of ammo does to the groups a 22 will shoot and I have been shocked at some of the ammo that shot very well in certain guns when most others didn't like it.
    If you take a bag of 10-15 different boxes of ammo and your gun is a picky one most likely it will like the one you have the least of or is the most expensive!

I regularly score Rifle Man scores at Project Appleseed with my take down.

All I have done is Kidd trigger, a 2 - 7 scope and use CCI Blazer ammo.

Boolit Master
    I have only owned one 10/22 and it was a dog. This was a gun made about 40 years ago and was nearly new at the time. I scoped it and went to the range with a half dozen different brands of ammo. It wouldn't shoot under 2" at 25yds with anything. Thinking it could be me, I fired the same ammo using my Ruger MKI 675 with a 2.5x bushnell Phantom. It shot all of the same ammo under 1" at 25yds. I have never fired another 10/22 and probably never will. My favorite 22 hunting rifle is a 1919 Savage NRA target rifle that will shoot the right bulk ammo about 1/2" at 50yds. The 10/22s seem to be hit or miss in the accuracy department.

Boolit Master
    The 10/22 design can be made to shoot pretty good. My last one I used a TM receiver and McGowen barrel, there are only a couple Ruger parts in it, the trigger hsng & safety and the mag plunger & spring. You'll spend a lot more than buying a nice Win 52 and the 52 will out shoot it. But if your in a varmint colony by the thousands I don't want to be working a bolt for every shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got my .22 back from Ruger.

They put a new bolt assembly in it and fixed the adjustment knob. They also tested the accuracy and sent me a copy of a target, after repair it can put 3 shots in one hole at 50 yards. I shipped it out on my dime, but they didn't charge me for repair or shipping back home.

I can't wait to test her out myself. Last 3 range trips have felt more like work than fun. Looking forward to some fun with an accurate gun.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    Just got my .22 back from Ruger.

They put a new bolt assembly in it and fixed the adjustment knob. They also tested the accuracy and sent me a copy of a target, after repair it can put 3 shots in one hole at 50 yards. I shipped it out on my dime, but they didn't charge me for repair or shipping back home.

I can't wait to test her out myself. Last 3 range trips have felt more like work than fun. Looking forward to some fun with an accurate gun.
    I would prefer that it made 3 holes in the size of a dime, than one hole, since I would not know from the target if they shot 3 shots thru one hole or a hundred. [^ I am cynical about the 3 shots in one hole deal.]

I would ask them what ammunition they used for that sort of shooting though...

I am not a fan of "take-down" firearms. I hope it turns out the way ya want though. If I had bought it & it turned out to not be what I wanted, I would sell it & find another one I did like. Everyone is different though.

Perhaps their corrections to the issues will make it better for ya. If not, just go get another one, or something else. Otherwise , I would think it would be a disappointment to ya every time ya look at it or shoot it. It would me, anyway. I just won't keep one if it doesn't work out for me.

Thanks for filling folks in with your progress.

G'luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    They actually wrote on the target the ammo they used. Manufacturer and bullet weight.

I too am leery of 3 shot groups, I like 5 shot groups. Which is what I'll be testing next range trip. And, my thoughts exactly. If it's not performing, it's time to trade/sell.

Boolit Master
    Now that 22 Ammo is available for 5 cents a round I'm finally getting my take down 10/22 broken in. I've had it for 3 years, still have less than a brick of ammo through it, most of what I've put through it has been the last couple of months.

The quick version is I'm getting big groups and I don't know if I just had unreasonable expectations of what it would deliver. The best group at 75 yds was 3 inches. 4 inches is more regular. And that's from a rest.

The long version: Last fall I did a quick and dirty sight in. I tried to go squirrel hunting and just got the sights on target and figured out how close I had to be. It was ridiculously close I felt from a kneel. Off a bench 25yds was the max I could go and keep it in an inch. This spring/summer I finally got to spend more ammo. Got it sighted in at 50 yds (4-6 in groups with support under the receiver not the fore-stock). Pushed it out to 75 yds (shot with support under the fore-stock) and from a rest I got 3.5 inch groups to 5 inch groups. These are all 5 round groups and I shot 6 good groups in the last outing.

I haven't replaced the sights yet or tried many brands of ammo. I haven't fiddled extensively with the tightness yet either. But I wanted to make sure my expectations were reasonable. I'm not expecting 1 inch at 100 yds. But an inch at 50 struck me as a reasonable expectation. What kind of accuracy should I be expecting?
    I don't know what your expectations are but a few things to consider.
    KIDD sells a $200 match barrel that has a 1moa guaranty at 50 yards or 1/2" groups.
    Now if your new to 10/22s you might not know their quirks.
    1. The tightness of the barrel V block , action screw and barrel band can all play into the "accuracy"
    Then get into the ammo, barrel condition and what have you..
    I have owned 10 10/22s over the past 20 years and none have been spectacular on accuracy. I traded a pistol for one few years ago and it came with a early Kidd trigger 1lb 8oz pull and it's crisp. On a good day with a 4x game view scope with aquila super extra it's a 2moa set up. Most days. It did not shoot any better with "better" ammo.
    I now have a KIDD heavy match barrel and a factory stock modified for now bedded at receiver and a few inches in front of the barrel.
    Also another thing to look at is your scope mount. Lay it on the top of the receiver and see how well it sits. Often they do not sit flat. So if you tighten the mount and mount/receiver is not square you create tension. That tension changes with heat and recoil and can cause scopes to shift.

I tighten my V blocks to 15-20inlbs
    The action screw is set at 20inlbs to start with and I will play with that.
    I hope to give it a good run tomorrow.

So expectations are tough.
    I can shoot close to MOA with my 513t with some of the middle ground match ammo. The rifle might be capable of sub moa ?
    Try some different ammo and if you find something that shoots magical RUN and buy as much of the same lot# as possible!

Boolit Grand Master

I have also found with the 10-22 adjusting the magazines tension can and does affect accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Couple of inches. They are pretty finicky with ammo type and velocity. You need to do a great deal of experimenting to find the best for your gun. I've found every one of my 22lr's like that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Tested a few types of Ammo Saturday. I had planned a Sunday trip but the Weather forecast changed and I had a more hurried trip on Saturday. The best ammo for my gun seems to be a little wider 1 inch at 50 yards. So a ~2 MOA instead of the 5+ MOA I was dealing with before. Good enough.

She sighted in fine. Then I tested 4 types of Ammo at 50 yards. There were a couple of 3 bullets touching each other but the complete group was always wider. Some of it was doubtless me, the center reticle was too thick for my hastily thrown together targets and my form wasn't perfect. Even with those limitations it's a marked improvement and I'm confident she can take squirrels out to 50 yards. If I find a perfectly matched ammo, and get the trigger time in, maybe further.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Reasonable accuracy expectation for 10/22 take down?

The usual reason for 3 shot groups is the rifle heating up if you're impatient. If you do 5 rounds take a 5 minute break between the first 2 or 3 and the last few, let 'er cool back towards ambient temperature, it will help.

And the "pretension the barrel upwards" trick someone else mentioned can work too (Depends on the rifle.) So can the "free float it with a couple thin pieces of cardboard fit to raise the action out of full contact with the stock", on some designs at least (Non TD 10/22 barrel band "might" make this harder. LOL)

I've had 2 really odd ones too; Had a scope that was a tip-off mount that had become loose so a quite accurate rifle went to shooting off the paper (Easy to fix once I spotted the cause. Still have that old mount, bought maybe 1960ish I think by a family member.) And a Rem 700 long action that was a tack driver that suddenly started stringing horizontally; Well, while that nice pretty Remington stock WAS pretty, it also ended up pretty warped in the fore end and was contacting the barrel. I need to probably put a good synthetic stock on that. So look for anything like a high point or something bent out of shape or touching the barrel that should not be; Same as if you touch a car antenna with the barrel & fire, your rifle's barrel can whip side to side and often change impact point, anything else that's not consistently the same can do that.

(I need to improve my 10/22 as well, its still stock basically; Ruined raccoons' night when they tried to eat the feral cat at the last place I lived, despite the gritty trigger pull etc. - You can work around some things )

And very glad PerpetualStudent's gun is fixed up, now it's practice time & you'll get there

As for life expectancy of a standard ruger 10/22 I have one I bought in the early 70's which is still going strong today.

From the 70's through 96 it hunted LOTS every fall, plus lots of target and plinking shooting. In the early 80's a brick of ammo every paycheck was the rule. And towards fall I would be buying 2 every paycheck just to stay stocked up.

Rifle still shoots as good as ever.

That being said, I have heard of a lot of take down customers being not so happy with the accuracy of their guns. Enough so that I do not think I would ever buy one.

With anything mass produced you have the stuff that comes off the line Monday mornings when everyone has to be retrained, and friday afternoons when no one is thinking about the job at hand. That is just luck of the draw.

EDIT:
    There apparently was an issue with my 10/22. Ruger fixed it and now I get about an inch at 50 yards.
    Sufferin' Succotash, PerpetualStudent! That is awesome. Best I could do yesterday was 2.7" with Blazers and 2.7" with Win M22 at 50yds, shootin' 20 shot groups. Still, mine doesn't come close to one inch at 50 yds, and I'm really impressed with mine. Sounds like you've got a real winner in your hands. So what was the issue that Ruger fixed?

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger didn't provide what was wrong only what they did to fix it. They replaced the bolt entirely as well fixing the nut that was frozen.

It is worth noting that I didn't shoot 20 round groups, only 3 groups of 5 rounds per ammo type. Some types were certainly wider than other ammo types. I was in a bit of a hurry and need to do more slow careful testing. More time between shots and better targets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12