Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable accuracy expectation for 10/22 take down?

Boolit Buddy

Reasonable accuracy expectation for 10/22 take down?

Now that 22 Ammo is available for 5 cents a round I'm finally getting my take down 10/22 broken in. I've had it for 3 years, still have less than a brick of ammo through it, most of what I've put through it has been the last couple of months.

The quick version is I'm getting big groups and I don't know if I just had unreasonable expectations of what it would deliver. The best group at 75 yds was 3 inches. 4 inches is more regular. And that's from a rest.

The long version: Last fall I did a quick and dirty sight in. I tried to go squirrel hunting and just got the sights on target and figured out how close I had to be. It was ridiculously close I felt from a kneel. Off a bench 25yds was the max I could go and keep it in an inch. This spring/summer I finally got to spend more ammo. Got it sighted in at 50 yds (4-6 in groups with support under the receiver not the fore-stock). Pushed it out to 75 yds (shot with support under the fore-stock) and from a rest I got 3.5 inch groups to 5 inch groups. These are all 5 round groups and I shot 6 good groups in the last outing.

I haven't replaced the sights yet or tried many brands of ammo. I haven't fiddled extensively with the tightness yet either. But I wanted to make sure my expectations were reasonable. I'm not expecting 1 inch at 100 yds. But an inch at 50 struck me as a reasonable expectation. What kind of accuracy should I be expecting?

EDIT:
    There apparently was an issue with my 10/22. Ruger fixed it and now I get about an inch at 50 yards.
    Last edited by PerpetualStudent; 10-23-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Adding info
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If you haven't scoped the rifle yet you may want to try that first . Not seeing the target well is a good way to make big groups and bead sights at that distance don't help much . After that try different types and brands of ammo , the rifle will like one better than the other . If it still doesn't act right consider how good or bad the trigger is . It's tough to shoot a rifle well when the trigger pull is more than the weight of the rifle .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Try CCI Stinger ammunition. I got sub MOA groups with this cartridge from several Marlin and Glenfield .22 autoloaders. The cartridge seems very well suited to autoloaders especially hand guns and short barreled rifles. I always used the plated case version, apparently they also have a bare brass cased version, though I haven't seen it in stores.

Takedown rifles seldom display the same high grade accuracy that the same model will deliver in standard non takedown form. The fit of the fore end is if anything more important than the fit of the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try the way Holland and Holland sights in regulates their double rifles. Use the offhand between rest and support insulating the rifle from the rest. This may help with consistency at the take down joint. H&H found many years ago the doubles didn't shoot the same or as consistant from a normal bench set up do to the hinged action. ( theirs are standing so recoil can be handled better but that's not an issue here. The shorter sifght radious of the iron sights on this rifle will make sight alighnment more critical also. If possible test with a scope. or use a triangle point down about 3" on a side point down and set the point in top of the front sight.

Boolit Master
    If you want to know how well your gun shoots, put a scope on it and get some better ammo. Rimfires are really particular about what ammo they like and what works well in some might now work as well in another. That being said, all target ammo will usually shoot much better than the cheap promo ammo. Get something like CCI std vel. 40 ammo which is readily available and works pretty good in about any rifle. Sight the gun in at 25yds and measure some groups and then go to 50yds and then 75yds. I've owned several 10/22s and I've seen them shoot very poorly and reasonably well. Most are 1.5-2.0" five shot guns at 50yds. I've seen one that never did better than 6" at fifty yards and I've seen one that had the bore off center and shot like do-do. After you find out how it shoots you can take the scope off and use the brand of ammo that it likes best......unless you like shooting with the scope. Right now you're not in a position to determine how well it shoots without a scope and better ammo. Good luck.

Boolit Master

The problem is probably the take down design. I have fired upwards of a dozen 10-22s all would shoot 1/2 to 3/4 at 50 yards with good ammo. I have fired only 2 takedown. Both were scoped and neither could beat 3" at 50 yards.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I grew up on a Savage Model 23 bolt rifle in .22 LR. I must have put 50,000 rounds thru that rifle over 15 years. It was very accurate with the iron sights at up to 50 yds. I could hit the head of a squirrel at that distance almost every time I tried. I acquired a Remington Nylon 66 many years later and it did not even come close to that old Savage 23. It was lighter and easier to carry and use but not as accurate at all. I sold it off recently for about 4 times what I paid for it on Ebay before they banned gun sales. A few years ago I bought a CZ 452 Varmint model .22 LR. With a decent Leopold scope it groups at less than 3/4 " at 50 yds with the right ammo. The ammo is key for this rifle. You need to experiment with different ammo and again a scope. However due to the cost of .22 ammo for the last 5 years I have hardly taken it out of the safe. I can load and shoot 9 MM or .45 ACP cheaper than .22.
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 07-06-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    operator is the cause . any will do 1/2in at 25yds . but the open sights they have is worthless . way to large for good use

Boolit Buddy
    If it's an operator error, than that's great. I can get better. But I shot 3 position .22 in college, I'm not a total noob here. Off a rest, I don't think it's the bad trigger or operator error.

I've got enough data on the federal I was shooting, though the winchester hunting I used was also disappointing. I'll try all the brands I've got and see about upgrading the sights. I've been eying the williams peepsight for a while.

Boolit Buddy
    mine standard non take down would never shoot good yours sounds like pretty average for a takedown trying different ammo is always a great idea with a rimfire I had my barrel set back and chamber recut to make it a shooter but it will never stack holes like my CZ

I have to admit I was intrigued by the take down design by ruger. So I did some research. Now my 10/22 dates from 73, back when they had nice walnut stocks.

I have made some amazing shots with that rifle. 153 yards, paced, in the dark, at a Jackrabbit with a snowy field between us, in the dark, with half a beer in me, other half in the schmidt can.

One shot, aimed for middle of the ear as all I could see was head and ears. Bullet hit 1/4 from the eyeball, drt, couple of kicks. Iron sights. I made 40$ on that shot, 20 $ that I could hit it at that range with one shot. And 20 more that it was over 125 yards. Called em both right.

I have shot primers out of 12 ga shotgun hulls at 75 yards, offhand. With scope.

With my old girl accuracy was never an issue. Find the right ammo and stick with it.

But the more I read about the takedown model the more I heard of only so so accuracy. Lots of talk of larger than 3 inch groups at less than 100 yards.

A good rifle should do better than that with proper ammo, a decent shooter and reasonable care.

So I never bought one.

It pays to do the due diligence first. Nowdays it is so easy, everyone can google on their cell phone or tablet.

I suspect that if you are a little bit methodical about a couple of things that you could see improvement.

Start with ammo, then read up on putting it together, look at where variables can creep in and work to minimize them. Play with support in different ways, different locations.

When it all comes together, and it should. Write it down. Make a hand stopper, like a little piece of foam under a piece of tape, like the camo tape designed to go onto a gun and come off without damaging finish. Find the right spot, make a stopper so your hand goes there instinctively.

Take your time, let barrel cool between shots.

And if it never comes together and it does not meet your needs. Then sell it and rack the difference up to the cost of higher education. And consider it money well spent.
    Education comes in many forms and tends to be expensive.

Boolit Master

The Ruger 10/22 Is a fun plinking gun if you want Accuracy get a CZ
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

You need to scope it and get better ammo. Bulk ammo as a whole will never shoot as well as Match ammo. If just used for hunting, I've had good luck with Federal Game-Shock in my CZ 455 when looking and comparing most bulk to semi bulk ammo. I'll use it for squirrel hunting this year.

Boolit Buddy
    I get that luckydawg. Hence the thread. It's not a CZ or an Anschutz (what I cut my teeth on). Even for a plinking gun though I expected more accuracy. At least squirrel accurate to 50 yds.

I'll try to wring more accuracy from it. I'll test other brands of ammo next range session. And check the attachment mechanism, I followed the directions and haven't messed with it. I'm not sure when I can pull the trigger on a new sight or a scope. And I imagine 50 bucks will buy better sights than scope so I'll do the williams peep sight.

Boolit Grand Master

If you go with the receiver style sight at the back of the receiver you will gain 10"-12" of sight radious to use this makes sight alighnment easier. The draw back is the take down joint is now between the sights meaning that any play there will affect the sights alighnment also. Most take downs are more concerned with alighnment repeatability and ease of disassembly re asselmbly than a super tight lock up. How much play is in the joint when unlocked can ant be felt when locked? A loose joint affects harmonics of the barrel. the split 2 piece stock also does the same. The 10-22 in normal guise ( non Take down) is a very accurate rifle and easily tuned. Yours should be no different once the Issues from the take down are addressed. Maybe bedding the tennon in to a snug fit in the receiver ( coat receiver with 2-3 coats of paste wax and a little epoxy on the tennon assemble and let cure. Leave fore end off if possible to allow barrel shoulder to seat up tight.). This should make the joint more secure but will require more care assembling and disassembling. Next is to refit the stock joint lightly snug so its not putting under strain on everything. While this wont transform the rifle into a match grade shooter it should help to tighten up the groups . One of the first things when accurizing the 10-22 that was done was to thread the receiver and barrel tennon for a solid no give lock up on the barrel. Next was a match grade chamber, bedding and trigger tuning.

It's been awhile since I looked at mine, but if you have not already done so, there is an adjustment procedure for a nut that the barrel stub slips in upon mating the barrel/forend to the receiver/stock. If you have the owner's manual it's explained therein. Otherwise, it seems to be easy to find with a Google search.

If you've already checked this, then I can't add much to what's been mentioned already, other than to say I've not been impressed with the accuracy level of mine, either.

Boolit Master
    Got a 1022 not take down .mine improved accuracy by putting a pad between the barrel and forend at the end of the forend a little bit of upward pressure halved the group size with its prefferd ammo .power custom hammer got Tigger pull down to 2.5 lbs .

Boolit Master
    I have two 10/22 both are very accurate I have access to two others that are the same none are take downs. I've only use CCI stinger for accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I bought one when they first came out, I have never sat down and tried to shoot groups. my daughter can hit clay pigeon at 100ys pretty frequently with it, I would like to scope it, but that take away from the compactness of it. I'd say it'll probably hold a 1.5- 2 group at 50, and that's what id expect from a rifle of this design. cci mini mags are my favorite, just picked up another 600rds for $49.

Boolit Buddy
    So I got a scope and it was still shooting 4-5 MOA.

So I went to make sure the headspacing nut was tightened per factory recommendations. Loosened up fine. Followed the manual and made it finger tight. Went to do the extra click and the nut is well and truly frozen. Won't tighten or loosen. So I'll be contacting Ruger on Monday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast