Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Rat Powder Review

I'm A Honcho!

Randy Rat Powder Review

Greetings Casting Brothers,

First off... I paid asking p[rice and actually had to order twice as the first order was sent to the default address in my paypal account. So this is an unsolicited review.

I saw another member posted his results and didnt do this powder justice. As thin of a coat as possible and let the powder flowout at 425 then turn down to 400 to cure for 15 minutes.

This is the best coating powder and cleanest flowout of any powder that I have used. This is the dark metallic silver that he sells for like 5 dollars a pound that works as well as the most expensive powders you can buy (Eastwood or equivalent).

They are really slick and went through my .432 Lee Sizer with very little pressure.

This is the NOE 432 280 WFN. Awesome bullet. It only gets loaded with a max charge of H110 at the moment so PC coverage has to be good and the bullets hard.

I now have 7 pounds and need to go pressure wash my hose in SC and pick up the balance.

Good Coating!

Bluejay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2942.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	199200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2943.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	199201
    Last edited by bluejay75; 07-05-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Thanks ! I was going to order some but we are moving after 47 years, so will have to wait till settled.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I've emailed Randy and never gotten a response. I'd like to get some of the clear or the silver.

Boolit Buddy
    Send him a pm, I usually get a response within 15 minutes. Best powder I have used too. Get very few bullets sticking together when using the dump method in a wire mesh basket.

I'm A Honcho!
    Awesome pics redrider. What containers are those. Going to buy some as soon as I find them.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Buddy
    Now that I've ordered a substantial amount of powder from Randy ... this stuff is awesome! Shake, bake for 7 minutes in a wire basket, shake in basket, bake for 23 more minutes and your done. No bullets stick together or to the basket with 100% coverage. What's not to like?

Boolit Master

Where did you find the wire baskets? I have been looking but the ones I see are too big of mesh or too flimsy for the weight of the bullets.

I'm A Honcho!
    There are no baskets better than these.

Fine mesh lets powder flow by. Fewer blemishes.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...z0caAqV78P8HAQ

Boolit Buddy
    Sterilite 18038612, got them at Walmart when they were 12 bucks a case of 12, now they don't carry them online, other sellers have them at 2 bucks a box. Seen them listed at Home Depot for 1.98 a box.
    They hold about 30 lbs of bullets, use them for my die plates for my pro 2000 too.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I made a basket to fit my oven out of 1/4" hardware cloth. I folded & cut it in such a way as it's one piece but all doubled over.

http://imgur.com/elShTe1

I've tried many different powders and have yet to find any that don't stick together in baskets. I just ordered 2 pounds to try for myself. I'm skeptical, but am prepared to be amazed.

I'm A Honcho!
    I almost had an o-**** moment and went ahead and ordered another 5 pounds. Im not sure what his supply looks like but by my count he has about 40 pounds left.

I like it. Any chance for other colors or is this a one time deal?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe he has white and silver. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sliver-powders

Seems best results are with the dark silver.

I received 2 lbs of this gray yesterday and you and I must have gotten different batches. I couldn't get any of it to stick using my dry tumble with ASBB method. I tried new containers and even dumped some of my Smokes powder out of an existing container just to be certain there wasn't a container issue. Tried with and without BB's and even tried to build up static in a container before adding powder.

I expected to get coverage like I get from my smokes powders and like what I've seen from pics on the other posts with the silver and white.

Nothing I tried would get any of this powder to stick. Bullets came out of the powder looking exactly the same as they did going in.

And I'm not exaggerating my results. Quite literally, it's exactly what you envision when I mean nothing would stick. I tumbled and shook for minutes and nothing at all would stick. I gave it my best effort. It wasn't like a little stuck or It wasn't as thick as I'd prefer....it was non-existent.

I baked them just to ensure any residue was cured and then came over the top of them with smokes clear.

Not sure what method you used to get the powder to stick, but my results were 100% opposite of yours. Fortunately the powder was cheap, so nothing really lost on my part other than a little time.
    Last edited by rototerrier; 07-15-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, I'm shocked as I had great results with it. I coat inside house w A/c and humidity is only 24%. Are you in a high humidity area? Just saw another thread in this forum that addresses issues w trying to coat in hi humidity situations. Hope you find the cure.

I'm A Honcho!
    Roto. I will take the powder that won't work for you. I just got a box of lanolin and powder and added it to my storage container two days ago.

It's sticky hot in NC well into the night with high humidity. I have had no problems.

Banned

I'm surprised too.
    I gave Randy's powder a go as a know nuthin never done it before and done it all wrong try.
    and got super smooth nice coverage.
    I used a cup with a #-2 pete lid.
    I threw in the glow in the dark BB's.
    the humidity was real high for the area at 55%
    I measured and weighed nothing then dumped it all out in a metal pan and shook the bb's through some holes I drilled in the bottom.
    the only thing I probably got right was in measuring and monitoring the cooking temperature.

I'm A Honcho!
    That is a very strange outcome???
    I have 4 pounds from smoke and they all require bb's to coat well.
    Randy's grey powder coats perfect with no bb's the evenness and coating flows out great.

Easiest powder I have ever used.

I would give you a couple pounds of smokes powder for the grey powder from Randy as long as it is the dark grey.

Let me know
    Wasalmonslayer

Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post
    That is a very strange outcome???
    I have 4 pounds from smoke and they all require bb's to coat well.
    Randy's grey powder coats perfect with no bb's the evenness and coating flows out great.

Easiest powder I have ever used.

I would give you a couple pounds of smokes powder for the grey powder from Randy as long as it is the dark grey.

Let me know
    Wasalmonslayer
    PM Me the colors you have. I prefer Flame Red or Carolina Blue.

Sounds like the perfect trade to me! It is the dark gray.

Here's a photo for color and weight proof.

Name:	20170718_071422.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	199899

Name:	20170718_085523.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	199900

I zeroed the scale with the plastic container before placing the powder into the container. The weight shown is for the powder and the bags. Figuring the bags account for the extra 1.3 ounces. It's 2lbs minus a little loss from my testing. There's 2 bags inside an outer bag. 1 unopened 1lb bag as received from RandyRat and another gallon bag of my own that I transfered the other original lb into.
    Last edited by rototerrier; 07-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast