Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to look at/for in a used M1 Garand

Boolit Grand Master

Those rifles also really did well with the old 173 grn special ball bullets if you can find some. A lot used them in garands for 600 yds+ matches all the way to 1000yds. Cmp/DCM used to sell them by the ammo can full reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Those rifles also really did well with the old 173 grn special ball bullets if you can find some. A lot used them in garands for 600 yds+ matches all the way to 1000yds. Cmp/DCM used to sell them by the ammo can full reasonable.

Midway has 168gr polymer tipped match seconds on sale for CHEAP right now. Picked up 500. Probably pick up more shortly.

Thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master

I still have a few hundred left. The 168 grain Sierra will closely duplicated it, although the newer 175 grain Sierra MK holds as well at long range and usually will hold tighter groups. The M1 is at home with these 173 grain and 175 grain bullets as it was designed around M1 Ball by John Garand.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hi Jeff.To answer your question.YES.TWO of them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Let me see 'em!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Let me see 'em!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	199381

One

Two

(That's how I interpreted what he said)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Thanks for all the compliments guys. I can't wait to get out and shoot. I've got a pile of 147gr FMJ pulls that need loading.
    Yuk. Save those for the M1a or some reduced loads for a youth just starting out on the old savage!
    I,bought a bunch of pulled 147s when I,first started the day I was able to ditch those was a good day. I,paid .05 each sold them for .07 a few years later and bought hornady 150s soft points for .10
    Much much better.
    My M1 I use in cmp JCG as issued match likes nosler 155s and Varget.
    Next best shooter likes 168s
    I have a M1 on the worn out side ...ME/TE in the 3-4 range and been playing with cast loads. Cycles on 37 grains of H4895 and a 200 grain 314299 sized to .310"
    Feeds and cycles....first batch tested was 8 shots in the black ! That's a good starting point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	199381

One

Two

(That's how I interpreted what he said)
    I'm dumb...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I'm dumb...

Nah. I doubt that. After all, you're hanging out with us.

My brother is coming up tomorrow. Hoping to get these war horses out and sling some lead down range.

Is the steel core surplus 06 ammo okay to shoot through your 03, 03-A3 or Garand rifle? That is, will it hurt the bore. I have a couple of hundred rounds that I can pick up with a magnet and have been told its best not to shoot it through my nice 03-A3.

The magnet is the only way I can tell if they are steel core. Is there another method to determine if its steel core?

Boolit Master
    fa38
    I would not shoot (many)of the black tip bullets(AP steel core) thru any 03/A3 or M1 or M14 that I cared about.
    I pulled some I had and replaced with 165 SP or other such lead core/copper jacketed bullets.
    In fact, I will (no longer since 1970s) shoot anything but cast bullets from my prize M1941/ 1903A1 Springfield
    or even my Rem 1943 O3A3 or Rem 1917Enfield.
    Saving jacketed loads fromyears ago Service Rifle shooting for the M1A and AR
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Also from WI
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    Is the steel core surplus 06 ammo okay to shoot through your 03, 03-A3 or Garand rifle? That is, will it hurt the bore. I have a couple of hundred rounds that I can pick up with a magnet and have been told its best not to shoot it through my nice 03-A3.

The magnet is the only way I can tell if they are steel core. Is there another method to determine if its steel core?
    The AP military ammo (black tip) was a favorite of match shooters before the M72 round became widely available in the 60s. It was just a better round than the M2 load and it was originally going to be the standard combat round for the M1 in the early 40s. No reports of it causing damage or early wear to barrels from what I gather. I shot alot of them in my youth. Pick up the cores after the jacket has been stripped of by dirt or gravel and they make a good center punch.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12