Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Finally found a decent load for my 700 CDL

Boolit Grand Master

Finally found a decent load for my 700 CDL

I had griped last year about my Remington CDL in 30-06 not shooting well. I spoke with my dear friend Ralph (45cal) and we got together and free floated the barrel and glass bedded the action.

During the powder crunch, I picked up some 4166 to play with as a supposed alternative to Varget. I had loaded up some 165 NBT and finally had a chance to make it to the range. I cleaned the rifle really well previously and found tons of copper fouling. Perhaps this contributed to my lack of accuracy as well.

Worked through my ladder testing and found 47.5gr gave the best accuracy. Sent a few groups down range and was pleased to find that if I did my part on a reasonably cool barrel, I was getting 3/4" groups. Now we're talking!

Now to pull some of the other not so accurate loads that have the NBT so that I can make up a good batch to practice with a bit more.

Guess I'll keep the Remmy CDL around for a bit longer. Was honestly thinking about putting her up on the block to purchase some better glass for another rifle. Still may once I have a chance to wring out my Kimber Longmaster in 308.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	199189
    Finally sighted in at 100 yards. Target rotated and not sure to to make rotation correct

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	199190
    Test target prior to final sight in. Top right hole was a sight in with another rifle and not part of group.

Forgot to take a picture of the 200 yard group but it was 1-1/2" for 3 shots on a cold barrel.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 07-05-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Nice shooting... I love Model 700's, and have found if you put a little time into them, they can be fantastic shooters...
    Bo
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    What caliber? 308 or 30-06?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    What caliber? 308 or 30-06?
    Sorry LL.

It's a 30-06.

Let me know if you decide to "Re-Home" her...
    Bo
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Sheeooot, I'd hold onto that one and sell something else to upgrade glass, lol. Does that one have iron sights as well?

I'm in Georgia too...

Boolit Grand Master

It's a plain CDL. Walnut stock with "ebony" forend and sporter weight barrel with no sights. It's got dings and scratches in the wood and is definitely a woods gun and not a safe queen. I have other guns to look pretty. This is a nice looking functional gun.

Bo1, I'll definitely give you right of first refusal if I decide to send her down the road.

LL, you're down in "Allbanee" if I remember right. Hope the DI thing is going well, haven't followed that thread recently. Saw this and thought of all my career military friends:

Name:	IMG_8270.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	199195

Banned

I had cdls in 06 and 7mag that were nothing to write home about. My 257 wby on the other hand shoots real well. Best of the cdl styled guns I had was the thin barreled 280 mountain rifle. Had to part with that one when I got divorced. that little whippy barrel would shoot sub moa with about every load.