RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: One Mold To Feed Every Cast Shooting Gun I Own

One Mold To Feed Every Cast Shooting Gun I Own

I see that Accurate cuts up to five cavity molds and will cut each cavity with a different design.

Because of some caliber overlap, one of their molds could be had to feed anything in which I shoot or plan to shoot cast with every pour. The 35 and 9.3 would have to be of distinctive designs, or I might have to measure each; and the 7 would need to be heavy to keep its mass somewhat near the others. But, this might actually work.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master

Its a good idea but if one is being used more than the others then your running bullets you may not need for quite awhile. Another is a mould like that may be harder to sell if you ever want to. If you go with this the 7mm in the center with the heavier bullets around it on either side should help negate the mass issue a lot. Especially a brass mould that's been pre heated on a hot plate. Different bullets can be a pain to sort unless there are real diffrences other than size. Ie differing numbers of lube grooves, different style lube grooves, different noses or ogives. I cast with 2 moulds usually a 40 cal and a 45 cal but the 40 is 4 grease grooves and the 45 is 3 grease grooves. The 38 and 40 together are much harder to sort do to similarities.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to consider is what if one needs to be a different alloy?

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you will regret it. Molds are not that expensive and as stated, you may need/want more of one bullet than the other. Sorting bullets is just one more chore as well.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    ...Molds are not that expensive...
    Yes, this idea makes no economic sense; because, with added charges for each cavity and design, this would be a way to make an expensive mold.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure it can be done but I don't see any benefits unless you're living out of a backpack and cannot carry around 5 separate molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I'm sure it can be done but I don't see any benefits unless you're living out of a backpack and cannot carry around 5 separate molds.
    If you can carry five rifles you can carry five molds...in a cart...behind a mule
    USMC 6638

Moderator Emeritus

I have no need to cast with a 30+ cavity mold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have no need to cast with a 30+ cavity mold.
    Gun ****! What, do lay down for every gun that bats her baby blue steel eyes at you?

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Moderator Emeritus

No some of them are brown eyed beauties. Just have a pistol addiction, and truth be know some are only contender/encore barrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    And if you damage or lose the mold that would be 5 (or more) less firearms you could use. Bummer.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is one of those ideas that really seem like a good one, until you try it. I have somewhere in my collection a 2 cavity Lyman that casts a 452-374 and a 452-423. I found that I used about 5 of the 423 for every one 374 that I shot., so I had a single cavity mold with a parasite that was stealing my lead.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    This is one of those ideas that really seem like a good one, until you try it. I have somewhere in my collection a 2 cavity Lyman that casts a 452-374 and a 452-423. I found that I used about 5 of the 423 for every one 374 that I shot., so I had a single cavity mold with a parasite that was stealing my lead.
    You make it read as bad as finding a bloodsucking tick on a much loved pet dog - your lead sucking tick cavity on a pet mold.

I wasn't really thinking of this as an only mold, but as a useful novelty. In my own use, I see a real problem feeding the .35s with one cavity (bullet) and getting enough .35s relative to less used calibers, if this were my only mold.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

I see ZERO appeal to such an idea unless you're a extremely low volume black powder shooter who can get by with only one alloy for all calibers, and whose time is only worth minimum wage.

I regret the one combo mold I bought - and that was just 2GC / 2PB of the same design. The gun in question wants gas checks, so half of what this mold generates is nothing more than wasted time and wasted heat.

Single cavity molds SUCK. I grant that they have their place, but if your firearms passion is anything but shooting large bore falling blocks for competitive scores, they are a huge drain on the one commodity you can't make more of - TIME. The mold you're suggesting gives you all the hassle of getting a multi-cavity mold to cast well in each hole (with the enhancement of each hole being different) but none of the production benefit. With a multi-cavity, single caliber mold, you simply stop when you have enough bullets. With this thing, you'd end up with massive piles of the calibers you shoot less, and be wracking your brains on how to get enough of the ones you shoot more.

You don't load your 9.3 in 7mm dies, and you don't shoot your 7mm ammo through your .35 rifle, but this is essentially what you're asking this mold to do. What we have here is one of those "genius wonder weapon" concepts that in reality cost Germany WWII.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

the only problem I see is Accurate don't cut 7mm molds.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the only problem I see is Accurate don't cut 7mm molds.
    They've begun to: http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Encore barrels have a way of reproducing on their own. I started out with a nice frame and a 6mmBR pistol barrel. Now I could arm a football team. Great way to get into casting some really odd ball cartridges without a huge $$$ investment.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.