Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Collecting some ar500. Safety tips please

Boolit Buddy

Collecting some ar500. Safety tips please

I am a member of a new club. Multiple separate berms for individuals to shoot in (AWESOME vs standing on a line like a standard range). Need to bring my own targets. I would like to invest in some steel. I got some T post target hangers that will string a 2x4 between it. I plan to hang a couple of small gongs from it (2-3 4-8" gongs).

Along the top, I would like to put some knockdown plates (x6). I am confident the gongs hanging from chains will 'give' and allow lead to splash back and down. My concern is the knockdown plates. Will those deflect debris/lead up versus killing the velocity? these are the plates welded to a flat piece that should just fall off of the 2x4 with a shot. Will be placed within 1 yd of the berm (per club rules).

the berm is tall, and there are other lanes that back up to it. They were shooting steel challenge on the other side of the berm Saturday when I was there. I had no concerns.

Tips on the knockdown plates?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t post.jpeg 
Views:	226 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	199156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate.jpeg 
Views:	220 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	199157

Boolit Buddy

Collecting some ar500. Safety tips please

Berm in question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I use corrugated Plastic panels, like "home for sale" are made of. Coat hanger wire for stands. I have one piece of AR500 plate, tuff stuff and heavy. Make the plate lean the top toward you so the lead spray will go down into the ground. Do not get to close to shoot them ether, I shoot mine from at least 40 to 50 feet away. Old propane cylinders are great targets, make sure they are empty.
    I shot I mean broke our Plate stand today, well it was there for 3 years and had been hit a few times.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    I use corrugated Plastic panels, like "home for sale" are made of. Coat hanger wire for stands. I have one piece of AR500 plate, tuff stuff and heavy. Make the plate lean the top toward you so the lead spray will go down into the ground. Do not get to close to shoot them ether, I shoot mine from at least 40 to 50 feet away. Old propane cylinders are great targets, make sure they are empty.
    I shot I mean broke our Plate stand today, well it was there for 3 years and had been hit a few times.
    I have the same for sale type signs. (See pic) for uspsa cutouts I make from scrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made my own circular plates from mild A36 steel, 1/2 " thick. They held up fine to pistol bullets.

Mine were kinda like what you have pictured above with the rectangular piece of steel on the bottom.

I made up a tall post about 6 foot tall and welded a piece of flat bar stock across the top.

Then at the bottom, I welded a "blade" down the length of the rod near the bottom. This blade or "spade" kept the rod from spinning.

Then I used tie wire to fasten the plate to the T part of the post. That actually kept the plate from falling to the ground.

It is actually a drag after about the 3rd plate you pick up out of the mud.

I have since moved on to using AR500, got my own wire welder,. I had a side business going on selling AR500 targets.

I want to say USPSA rules say the min safe distance to a steel target islike7 or 8 yards.

It helps if the plate can move and it is angled slightly downward.

of course, wear safety glasses.

have fun...be safe!

Boolit Master
    AR500 is the only way to go. I have seen a number of serious injuries using mild steel...it's simply not worth it no matter what anyone tells you they are using. The targets that sit up and drop (poppers, etc) will deflect the bullet/fragments upwards. Make sure your berm is high enough. Swingers are the safest.

Yeah, I used mild A36 stuff because it was what I could get locally.

It was when I bought my welder from CK Welding Supply of St. Louis that I learned of an AR500 steel supplier in St. Louis.

They have a water jet now.

At the time they had either a plasmaCAM or torchCAM.

So there were some worries in the back of my head about the "heat affected zone" ...having softened the steel.

now that they have a water jet, not any more worries.

That said....AR500 is a designation that can run some spectrum of say AR440 to say AR550...let's say for example.

I stopped a few years ago making AR500 targets when I had that steel supplier make 3 circular plates with Mickey Mouse ears....so thet could hang from chains or say fire house...or kevlar electrician "fish tape".

I sold them to an old USPSA match shooting buddy who was also on a swat team.

He set them up at like 100 yards or 200 yards and his .223 rounds and .308 rounds zipped right through 2 of them.

So as a side gig, I decided it was too much liability and as a good "customer service" policy, I refunded him his money and got the targets back.

anywhooo....getting back with or to the OP....

if they have steel challenge at that club, if you befriend them, shoot the steel challenge matches, and help them set up and tear down after the match, they might let you set up their steel targets on non-match days for you to shoot at on your own. maybe possibly.

Boolit Master

Attachment 199199

if you use a gong put the chain in back it will help tip the plate forward
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

If memory is correct 33' is the USPSA minimum for shooting steel. I like steel plates on the rack with a reset lever.