Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern NC BBQ sauce

Boolit Buddy

Eastern NC BBQ sauce

I stumbled on this some time ago and just bookmarked it. Finally tried it and can't believe how good this is. It's the yellow (mustard) cider vinegar based sauce. So the guy gets the credit for it here's the link. It's the first one by Tom(Gunner). https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?341...tyle-BBQ-Sauce

Next time I make it I'm going to cut back a bit on the vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar as I thought it might give a better flavor). And I didn't use the soy sauce either. Tried a small sample with the soy sauce and just didn't care for it. You might.

If you like this style BBQ sauce I am sure you will rank this A1.

Boolit Master

Saved for future use. I am not that into vinegary sauces, but might be able to change it to suit.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Banned
    johnho,

Have you tried the YELLOW MUSTARD BBQ sauce??

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna try it on some chicken

That seems like a lot of mustard and vinegar for my taste.

I grew up on a very simple recipe, I suspect it has its roots in west texas.

1 bottle of Kraft Hickory BBQ sauce.
    About half a bottle of Ketchup. (same amount or less as the bbq sauce. Not half of a 32 oz ketchup bottle)
    You can squirt the ketchup into the bbq sauce bottle to get more of the sauce out. Shake well then pour into pan. Or add a tablespoon of water and do the same.
    1 cup brown sugar, I prefer the dark brown as it has more flavor.
    About a teaspoon of mustard, french's yellow. Adjust to suit yourself.

Bring up to heat to dissolve sugar, stir in ketchup and mustard.

This makes a nice sweet sauce with a little zing. Want more zing add mustard.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    johnho,

Have you tried the YELLOW MUSTARD BBQ sauce??

yours, tex
    I found a few recipes for that just now. That looks good too. Have to try it. Thanks.

John

Boolit Master

Easter NC bbq sauce is vinegar and Cayenne pepper based, Western NC bbq sauce is tomato based. Lexington NC style is a combination of these 2. South Carolina bbq sauce is mustard based. I grew up with Lexington style as I live very close to Lexington and my grandfather was from Lexington. The wife loves Eastern style as she grew up in the eastern part of the state. When I make pulled pork I have to make both eastern and Lexington style sauces.

Moderator Emeritus

I do a sort of Lexington style sauce. 50/50 ketchup/cider vinegar, red pepper flakes to taste. Simmer that until the pepper flakes release their heat then off the heat I stir in butter to thicken and smooth the sauce.

Boolit Master

This is my Lexington style bbq sauce:

4 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups ketchup
    3 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    a few dashes tabasco or texas pete
    dash or two chipotle chili powder
    Preparation:
    Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and boil slowly for 15 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, Moonie. I was gonna point out the geographic issues too. Here on the coast we use the vinegar and hot pepper sauce.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Thanks, Moonie. I was gonna point out the geographic issues too. Here on the coast we use the vinegar and hot pepper sauce.
    My wife has taken me to Smithfields and that is exactly the kind of BBQ she grew up on, vinegar and hot peppers.

I just can't believe you guys are sharing sauce recipes.

" They can have my Sauce Recipe when they pry my cold dead fingers from it"....
    (I think that is how that saying goes )
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post

Kevin

Unfortunately, I have seen that happen. My wife's uncle made a sauce that would have made a truck tire taste good. He was not willing to share the recipe for fear that someone would make and sell it for profit. Unfortunately, the recipe died with him.

Sharing sauce recipes is one way to make sure that more people are able to enjoy what you have created.

Boolit Buddy

Kevin your exactly right, some things are supposed to be kept secret. I happen to have have known one of the two individuals who came up with the Lexington sauce. He's passed now and I never knew him to give the recipe out. I've got one I use and you can bet it's vinegar and red pepper based, nothing like it.
    Jeff

Moderator Emeritus

Mustard is good :)

A couple weeks ago, I got a interesting request, a few of my Migrant worker friends (from Texas) asked if they could have a BBQ in my off street parking area, behind my garage, just off the alleyway. Apparently the City of Glencoe had cracked down on drinking in a local park where they use to have their BBQ's on their one day off from the Sweetcorn canning plant. I didn't join them as I had other things to do, but they gave me a plate of cold leftovers when I got home. Their pork ribs were really good, I couldn't really put my finger on why...but it was simple and the flavor of the meat came through.

Last Friday, they asked again...and I joined them. After they started their grill...it was a tiny grill, like a Weber Smoky Joe, but only smaller, it looked like a cheap china knock-off. First they deboned a 10 pak of chicken thighs and coated them in yellow mustard...nothing else. They grilled 'em til they were almost done (they barely fit on the grill, that was kind of fun to watch, since they were de-boned that cooking didn't take long), then wrapped them in foil and then put them in a empty cooler, to let them rest and/or finish cooking I guess?

Next they took a full rack of pork ribs, coated them with the yellow mustard only, then wrapped it in foil, then proceeded to cook them on that tiny grill with half the rack-o-ribs hanging over one side. Then the dance began, he moved that ribs back and forth...flip it over...back and forth. I'm thinking to myself, there is no way in heck that rack is gonna get cooked right.

After about 45 minutes, that charcoal was about finished, they added some more charcoal. The dance continued with the foil on, for a bit longer, they checked for done-ness (bones sticking out),then the foil was removed, the rack cut in half, but left them on the grill (without foil) for more dancing, flip and flop, to get a bit of char/caramelizing. The meat was pull off the bone tender, and they were delicious, you knew something was on them, but surely didn't seem like mustard, I never would have guessed that was on them. But again let the flavor of the meat come though.

Since yellow (prepared) mustard has vinegar and salt (small amounts of each), you don't really need to add anything else. I was truly impressed. Oh once the ribs were finished, then toasting the tortillas began. Besides the Beer, meat, and Tortillas, there was just some red hot sauce, a small round bottle, maybe 3 oz?, with spanish words that I couldn't read. I didn't try it, they said it was "muy caliente". I'm not afraid of hot sauce, but I was liking the flavor of the meat so much, I didn't want to spoil it.

So, I guess I learn once again, Less is More.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-10-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

first pulled pork I ever ate was in the service stationed on the coast of VA. Went home a lot with a guy from eastern NC and all the pulled pork we ate was vinegar based. I acquired a taste for it and still make it that way today but do add just a touch of tomato sauce.

Moderator Emeritus

I often use yellow mustard under the rub for pulled pork. On ribs I am not a fan, I can taste the mustard to much.

Boolit Master

Didn't remember it till just now. I use yellow mustard in my marinade for fried chicken.

You can't taste the mustard in the finished chicken, but it really does add something to the flavor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post

Kevin
    I understand Kevin, had an uncle like that. I'm proud of the sauce I came up with and I love people enjoying my cooking. I don't mind sharing any of my recipes and do it often.

Moderator Emeritus

Since I no longer cater why not share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast