RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 336cb 38-55

Boolit Mold

336cb 38-55

I have been researching duplex loads for medium range shooting. I have discussed the procedure with other shooters. I believe I understand what all is need except compression. Straight up question.
    If I use 10% 4227 and fill up the case with Olde Eynsford 2F, I can compress the powder .125" and seat the bullet. Loading single shot the large and long bullet will chamber pushing the 260gr 20:1 .380" into the lands just past the small front driving band.

Boolit Master
    Should work ok
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

WOW
    Lots of work
    I use 30 grains of 3031 and seat the .381 bullet on top of the powder,
    I use this load in both my Ruger #1 and the Marlin Cowboy
    Mike

https://www.shootersforum.com/bullet...a-38-55-a.html
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    WOWLots of work
    I use 30 grains of 3031 and seat the .381 bullet on top of the powder,
    I use this load in both my Ruger #1 and the Marlin Cowboy
    Mikehttps://www.shootersforum.com/bullet...a-38-55-a.html
    Even less work is ordering the loaded rounds from Buffalo Arms and having the brown truck put them on your door step. But, I think the amount of effort equals part of the satisfaction of producing and shooting a load that meets your needs.

And, in my opinion, the added step of some smokeless under the black isn't that much more work.
    Just depends on what you want to do......
    Chill Wills

I think you will find 43 or 43 grains of Old E under a 1/16th thick cardboard wad and compressed so the bullet will fully seat in the case will give you much accuracy and enjoyment. I, personally would not duplex. Lots of bother and little gain.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW I can't imagine a worst powder choice than 3031,I beat the guys that shoot that every month with BP at their Buffalo shoot. Try RX7 as your kicker with the BP .

Boolit Master
    Or IMR 4759 if you can find any. Frank

Boolit Mold
    This is an ongoing process that has been months in the making. Spent a lot of time on Marlinowners and learned a lot. Before and after that I did spend a lot of hours working on the Marlin. In factory form, they say I am expecting too much from the lever gun. I have tried all the popular powders, bullets, primers, and case preps. I am now using a 260 gr Desperado Bullet (20:1) with a flat base. Barrel groove slugs at .379 so I use .380.
    I have loaded them long and I have loaded them in the crimp ring. Unsized, uncrimped, and any of the combinations thereof. I have fired the rifle with free recoil and I have tried everything else but tie it down.
    We shoot off bench sticks, butt not touching table. You can use your offhand in between. Guys, lets assume I can shoot. 76 years old raised in the deep country (WV and I did not marry my cousin)) shooting groundhogs and later for the farmers with my Douglas barreled rifles at ranges exceeding 500 yards. I started reloading in 1963 for a Marlin lever (small world) in 256 Winchester Magnum. Quickly graduated to a M700 Rem 22-250 and the action now resides in a Bishop stock fitted with a Douglas 1" bull fitted at the factory. I used to live about two miles away from the plant in Cross Lanes, WV.

The reason I asked the question because I can actually chamber a round with 1/8" of the bullet in the case. The bullet is not pushed into the case upon chambering. Almost a breech seater.

The duplex load is going to be used to clean the barrel. Hard to run a patch in the right direction after every shot. I will try a blow tube to keep things, if any, soft.
    I have read many a post or article where the shooter says "my rifle came to life". Well, the fingers is crossed. Now give me the confidence that my original post asked for. Thanks BeltFed.
    The Marlin will do 2 1/2" @ 100 with some loads. I want better. Some of you old coots knows what a sleeper is. They used to think my old crappy 1956 210 was something to pick on. Little did they know that under..................................

PS: Do I need a sandbag on my shoulder?
    Last edited by Red Cent; 07-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Ever had an epiphany? I am reading some statements from shooters and it occurs to me that the terms used is wrong and/or confusing. Past the term thing, it occurred to me that I am using a .380 diameter bullet. My groove measures .379. My bore should be .373. I am thinking that I should not be able to chamber that bullet since the throat is the same size as the groove.
    The 38-55 does not have a step up immediately at the case mouth. I suppose so they can use long and short brass. Nevertheless, looking at the picture, the original owner must have had the rifle "throated" since some were made with smaller throats than the groove diameter. Unless I do a chamber cast, there is no telling the size of the throat/freebore/leade.
    Terminology/semantics. After reading about the 38-55 for months, it is confusing enough for some of us to use their accepted terminology. How about the freebore and the leade makes the throat.

Boolit Mold
    hmmmm.

Boolit Buddy
    I would do a chamber cast and only then you will know exactly what you have.

I don't understand what is to gain by duplexing, what's wrong with just shooting BP. What advantage is being gained by duplex loads.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Vendor Sponsor

Duplex can be used for two reasons.
    It was used in the early days of smokeless by Pope and many other Schuetzen shooters to make clean, accurate loads that did not need wiping between shots. We can still do that today. It is a choice.

It is also used to make crudy powder shoot better. If you, as I do, have some amount of less than top grade powder around, duplexing can in some cases fix up the accuracy and low velocity that just an all black load might produce. Duplex, not used or even allowed in some matches but great for other shooting events like local steel events or just practice.

Again, a choice. Ain't American liberty great?
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-08-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    There is a sweet spot. 2 1/2" @ 100 is rather bland. I want less than 2" consistently and I am willing to put some effort into the mix to achieve it. I want to surprise some people with an ol' lever gun.
    A little brag. I went to a regular match at Durham Rifle and Pistol Club about 20 minutes east of me. We had sixteen shooters with one lever gun A C-Sharps 38-55 with the shooter breech seating took the match. Two or three Sharps (clones, I think) were next (one used PP bullets) with the lever gun taking 5th place. 100-200-300 yards, each with silhouettes and a paper bull (5 shots and counted rings for score). 15 shots at each berm.
    I shot 10 gr Unique with a Desperado bullet seated out til I had .125" in the case. Might as well breech seat.

Boolit Mold
    Well, 3.5 of 4227, a caseful of Goex compressed about 3/8" was a dismal failure. And I mean dismal.
    Interestingly enough, I reseated some bullets that were loaded very long. Put them down to the crimp line. 10 gr Unique. Same ol' same ol'. 2" @ 100.
    Gonna load a few more BPs with kicker but start shortening the OAL. And I will start, little by little, start lengthening the smokeless rounds.
    Stop shaking your head. I'm having fun.