MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Potatoes

Boolit Master

Potatoes

Not fancy,but good.
    Amount of potatoes to suit your needs.Any type is good.
    Wash and scrub clean.DON`T peel.
    Quarter.
    I spray with spray cooking oil.
    Season.I use salt,pepper,garlic powder and oregano to suit.
    Bake at 350* until done.Enjoy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Simple is good!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

One of our favorites We call a mess. Potatoes diced up about 3/8 cubes diced onions and Echrich Sausage. Cast iron frying pan and some butter. Potatoes onion and sausage in the pan brown in the hot butter nicely. Te add a small amount of water to help cooking and cook till water is gone or done. add cheese to taste. A fairly quick 1 pan meal. Salt and pepper to taste.

Moderator Emeritus

Wash and scrub potatoes, slice into 1/4 inch slices. Slice an onion into 1/4 inch slices after quartering it and removing the outside layers. double over a piece of foil big enough to wrap your potatoes so they are only 4 layers deep. Heavily butter the foil where it will touch the potatoes(I use a 1/4 inch thick smear, don't forget to butter the parts that will fold over the potatoes). Place a layer of potatoes on the foil, season with salt, pepper, herbs(dill is a good one), then a layer of onion, then a layer of potato(season), layer onion, layer potato(season), layer onion(season this so it is on the inside of the potatoes) then final layer of potato that will touch the foil. Fold into a neat package making sure to seal the seams well if cooking over a fire(I toss this on the Traeger a lot and no open flames so a butter leak isn't instant grease fire!) and toss on the grill over medium heat, or over a wood fire on a grate over a spot that isn't super hot. Your want time for the inner layer of potatoes to steam and get soft while the outer layers get brown and crispy from the butter. Cook until done then open and serve from the foil! No muss, no fuss cleanup and a great side dish that can feed one or a crowd! I made individual ones for my nieces and nephews when they were little to have their own little package to unwrap.

Banned

I do something similar on the grill. Slice them about 1/4 inch cut an onion about the same. I just throw a slab of butter in with it and put some garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper on them. Wrap them in foil and throw them on the grill on low for about an hour. Another potatoes thing that goes over well here are oven fries. I take potatoes and slice them fairly thin in French fry shape (leave the skins on) I Put some fry magic, parmesan cheese, onion and garlic powder in a bowl. Wet the potatoes with water or oil and shake them in the mix and put the on a large baking sheet in a single layer with some cooking oil on the baking sheet and bake at 400 until there starting to get crispy. You might want to either flip them half way through or for the last couple minutes use the broiler so both sides are brown. Healthier then frys if you care. I don't but I do like the taste for a change of pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Wash and scrub potatoes, slice into 1/4 inch slices. Slice an onion into 1/4 inch slices after quartering it and removing the outside layers. double over a piece of foil big enough to wrap your potatoes so they are only 4 layers deep. Heavily butter the foil where it will touch the potatoes(I use a 1/4 inch thick smear, don't forget to butter the parts that will fold over the potatoes). Place a layer of potatoes on the foil, season with salt, pepper, herbs(dill is a good one), then a layer of onion, then a layer of potato(season), layer onion, layer potato(season), layer onion(season this so it is on the inside of the potatoes) then final layer of potato that will touch the foil. Fold into a neat package making sure to seal the seams well if cooking over a fire(I toss this on the Traeger a lot and no open flames so a butter leak isn't instant grease fire!) and toss on the grill over medium heat, or over a wood fire on a grate over a spot that isn't super hot. Your want time for the inner layer of potatoes to steam and get soft while the outer layers get brown and crispy from the butter. Cook until done then open and serve from the foil! No muss, no fuss cleanup and a great side dish that can feed one or a crowd! I made individual ones for my nieces and nephews when they were little to have their own little package to unwrap.

Boolit Master
    Couple of thick slices of bacon and one medium potato sliced a quarter inch in a cast iron skillet on medium high. Brown, turn, brown some more, cover and reduce heat to low-medium low for 20 minutes. Uncover, raise heat to medium, salt, and add 3-5 eggs. Add pepper, more salt, maybe some paprika, and scramble. Cook until the eggs are done to your liking.
    You can also add (if you have them) mushrooms, black olives, sliced hot peppers of any variety, onions, cheese. Even some spinach or other greens. I add my onions and hot peppers just before I cover and reduce heat. All other additional ingredients at the same time as the eggs, except cheese and greens which I add right at the last.
    Top with salsa or whatever you like. Serves 2-4.

I have productive hens, so this is a good way to use up eggs that are a couple days old. Also a good way to use up the dregs of whatever salad greens I might have. It's a good, cheap, filling meal for breakfast, lunch or supper.

Boolit Buddy
    We do a dish similar to the OP, but my "secret seasoning" is a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and hot-blend pepper. Serve with any dish that requires a hearty side dish,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, the left-overs fry up spectacularly with eggs the next day.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Potatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini or other summer squash, onion, all cut in pieces, tossed with oil and herbs, and roasted as you did your potatoes. One of our favorite way of cooking veggies.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Nuts.Forgot one ingrediant.Paprika.Your choice of type.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

Cook 1/2 lb diced bacon in a 12" dutch oven. When it is good and plenty of grease fill the oven with sliced potatoes, and onions. Generally 8-10 lbs spuds, 2 large onions. Add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and cover, turning the potatoes every 20 minutes and a 1/3 spin of the oven. After 45 minutes add 1/2 lb medium or stronger cheddar or jack cheese. Should have shrunk down 1 1/2" or so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Cook 1/2 lb diced bacon in a 12" dutch oven. When it is good and plenty of grease fill the oven with sliced potatoes, and onions. Generally 8-10 lbs spuds, 2 large onions. Add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and cover, turning the potatoes every 20 minutes and a 1/3 spin of the oven. After 45 minutes add 1/2 lb medium or stronger cheddar or jack cheese. Should have shrunk down 1 1/2" or so.
    Those are called Uncle Charlie's potatoes in my family. My Great Uncle had a nearly fixed menu of those potatoes, summer squash did similarly, and a big hunk of meat smothered with either onions or mushrooms or both. It was so good, that very few complained of the monotony.

He used pans that looked much like Dutch ovens but had skillet style handles.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.