MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 44 Carbine help

USMC 77, USRA 79

Thumbs up Ruger 44 Carbine help

Last winter, I got one of my bucket list guns, a early Ruger 44 Carbine...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3748.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	199132
    all that power in a 10-22 form factor always made me smile.. a buddy of mine always had one, and it was a total sweetheart.. so I finally found somebody that was willing to part with theirs... it shoots great most of the time and cycles well with warm 2400 and h110 loads with most size bullets I try... but every once in a while it fails to completely close the bolt cover.. the bolt is fully engaged and ready to fire. Best of my knowledge, I have not fired it with the bolt cover cracked open like that, anyway, it's just unacceptable in order to be a useful gun to have to pay attention to that area of the gun after every shot.

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	199131

The above pic is an example of how far the cover is left open when it does fail to close. I have become well versed in taking it down and cleaning the gas port, and am at the point now where I can strip it and put it back together in Just a few min with a decent punch and a plastic hammer.. I have cleaned and lubricated it several times... never failed to close when just cycling the action by hand, only after being fired... doesn't matter what sized bullets, jacketed or cast, from 240gr jacketed on... seems to do it occasionally with everything.. in 10 shots it happens once pretty consistently. The cover closes when it does jam with a push from a finger, but it is dang annoying... can't seem to see what is causing it..

Anybody else struggle with this?

Thanks...

Marco
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Marked with interest as I picked one a few weeks ago but haven't started to load for it.- jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

I have the same gun and the only time I've ever had a problem was with some 300grain XTP's, turns out they were just a hair to long. Could that be your problem? Another thought, could the previous owner have shot a lot of 44sp it it? If so there could be a ring of lead built up in the chamber causing that problem.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

USMC 77, USRA 79

Well, I have an odascope that I use for looking down barrels.. i did nook at the barrel, but not the chamber... will take a peek and pic...

Boolit Master
    When I first got mine it was doing the same thing. A thorough cleaning including a good bore and chamber scrubbing fixed my problems. Now it works fine. I know that's probably not much help for you since you said you have already taken yours down for cleaning, but that's what cured mine. Maybe your recoil spring is worn out???
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

USMC 77, USRA 79

Ok... here are the images from my bore scope.. hope you can make them out...

Looking down the barrel

Name:	IMG_3752.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	199137

Looking father down the barrel...

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	199138

Coming in from the ejection port looking at throat entrance

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	199139

Looking from throats towards barrel.

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	199140

As I look at the pics, I do see a bit of "something" In the 3rd pic... not sure if it is lead or what, but I will go after it with a dental tool.. maybe that is it....

Actually, it can't be it, as I said before, the bolt and bullet are fully engaged and seated when the jam occurs.. it is more likely that it has something to do with the door slide it's self... it is not attached to the bolt persay, but attaches through a grove in the side of the bolt... it may be that I need to take the slide out and attack the arm with a piece of 600grit wet/dry sand paper and see if that fixes it...
    Last edited by Markopolo; 07-04-2017 at 04:58 PM.

I have had several Ruger 44 carbines, I bought one new back in 60s. Had very little problem with
    them. Always shot 240hps/ 2400 powder. It is not a good idea to shoot cast in them, tends to clog
    gas port. I have bought a couple used that nothing was wrong with but had probably NEVER had
    a proper cleaning of Gas System.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I went through the gas port with a fine toothed pipe-cleaner and comb.. I have only shot j-words through it, but at some point that will change. I do not mind cleaning the gas port... it is no biggie when I do go about making a boolit load..

Mine shoots only cast. Quite well.
    Given the cost of some black guns, I wonder if, brought out today, how the carbine would sell.
    Now add in that some states are allowing straight walled pistol cases. ???

To the point, springs age and wear.

Boolit Master

I have a 69 year model I picked up a few months back. I am going with some sort of drag causing the
    cover to stay open. Mine really likes the swag boolits I make and a case full of 296.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

USMC 77, USRA 79

That is what I think 2... but we shall see... I scrubbed it out for a 4th time... if that doesn't work, I am gunna attack the cover arm with some 400-600 grit wet sandpaper

Perma-Banned

I had one...always wanted one...very disappointing gun. I dumped it back in the 80's and bought a lever...never looked back.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Given the cost of some black guns, I wonder if, brought out today, how the carbine would sell.
    It would only be around for a short time....44 levers are just more serviceable and fun to shoot.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 07-06-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I have not had any issues with my carbine, but I would have to take a look at it to see if it has the same kind of cover as yours does, as this is the second generation of the original introduction Ruger may had made changes to the design in this area, if so than I cannot offer any real suggestion other than call around to some gunsmiths to see if this is a issue they have come across in the past, or contact Ruger to see if they have any notes on this issue with this first generation carbine.

I also have to agree shoot-n-lead that a lever is more fun, but then again so is a nice short fast handling carbine. Since I already had levers in handy calibers and I always find some models unique I went with the second introduction of the Ruger carbine. Here I am looking down a green belt during hunting season here in the South. I had not run any cast, only standard 240 grain hollow points, but cast may be in its future should there ever be a shortage of J word projectiles.

The two I had were 50 yd wonders. At 100 yds the best one shot 6" groups; my Super Blackhawk would shoot 4" groups at 100 yds.....

Boolit Master

I had not run any cast, only standard 240 grain hollow points, but cast may be in its future should there ever be a shortage of J word projectiles.

I am swaging a 40 case with a hollow point cast boolit to make my own J words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 swag.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by red333 View Post
    i had not run any cast, only standard 240 grain hollow points, but cast may be in its future should there ever be a shortage of j word projectiles.

i am swaging a 40 case with a hollow point cast boolit to make my own j words.

sweet.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

Mine was made in 1962. It cost me $180 in 2001
    I shot Liberty cast 300 gr bullets followed by 240 gr JHP and the muzzle burst and peeled back like a banana.
    For $80 the late Randy Ketchum put my new old stock Marlin 444 Marlin lever barrel from Gunpartscorp on it and drilled a gas hole and did some TIG welding.
    Now it is heavier and more accurate.

It has never failed to cycle.

Boolit Master

One thing I can tell you: on the early models the upper cartridge guide is made of aluminum. On the top of the action there is 2 screws showing on the newer ones with the still upper bullet guide there will be 2 circles showing no screw slots.

Re-blue an action with the aluminum guide you got a big problem. The guide dissolves and will never be found.

Calling Ruger will get you laughed at. For a gunsmith this was an embarrassment. I had to buy another early gun to get the guide from. It was easy to make a new guide from 1/2 inch electrical pipe. Use Aluminum or as I did I used steel. for the permanent replacement.

We sold 20 to 30 of them on EBay for a while before I retired so it is a common problem.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    When I took my carbine to Randy, there was a guy in the store who said he was a Ruger 44 carbine collector.
    He said that the split muzzle was common and there were no spare barrels anywhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast