WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 44 Carbine help

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post

Last winter, I got one of my bucket list guns, a early Ruger 44 Carbine...

Attachment 199131

The above pic is an example of how far the cover is left open when it does fail to close. I have become well versed in taking it down and cleaning the gas port, and am at the point now where I can strip it and put it back together in Just a few min with a decent punch and a plastic hammer.. I have cleaned and lubricated it several times... never failed to close when just cycling the action by hand, only after being fired... doesn't matter what sized bullets, jacketed or cast, from 240gr jacketed on... seems to do it occasionally with everything.. in 10 shots it happens once pretty consistently. The cover closes when it does jam with a push from a finger, but it is dang annoying... can't seem to see what is causing it..

Anybody else struggle with this?

Thanks...

Marco

Strip it down and inspect the tab located in the upper front edge of the triggerguard housing, where it's supposed to latch into the groove in the receiver underside when it's installed.

IF/when the tab cracks, or breaks completely away, the front of the TG housing will "float" ILO being secured to the receiver.

Feeding issues, including failure of the bolt to completely close, occur because the cartridge feeding mechanism is mounted in the TG housing, and cannot function properly.

The condition is AFAIK un-repairable (the aluminum TG housing cannot be effectively welded or epoxied), and replacement TG housing's are made of un-obtainium.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Had 2 back in the early 80's, bills had to be paid. Wish I had them back.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I will try that Pietro... ��
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    1964, Camp Hanson, Okinawa PX, $64

Boolit Master

Just what part is the bolt cover? As far as I know there is no such part the scematic does not list a bolt cover see

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...bine-34091.htm

what # is it?

USMC 77, USRA 79

It is part 59, the slide assembly, it runs down the track, engages the bolt, and shuts the door on the side of the bolt..

So, I attacked the slide assembly and the rail it rides in with dome 600grit wet sand paper, and did discover a tiny bit of "something" at the top end of the rail that the slide runs in.. I felt it with a screw driver and molded some sandpaper to the tip of the screwdriver, and it is now gone. I cleaned the gun again, reassembled, and went to the range. I shot about 30 rounds and did not have one failure to close the slide completely.

Thanks for all of the help and posts... this was driving me nutz... now if I could just find a synthetic stock for it, I would be happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post

I attacked the slide assembly and the rail it rides in with dome 600grit wet sand paper, and did discover a tiny bit of "something" at the top end of the rail that the slide runs in.

It's now gone, and I shot about 30 rounds and did not have one failure to close the slide completely.

That's great news !

I'm glad the issue was rectified - easily, if you think about the actual repair.

CONGRATS !

Boolit Bub

Marco,

Interesting question, just happens I recently seen a Ruger 44 carbine that had a similar issue.

Two weeks ago my son in law and daughter were visiting. He brought a blown up 44 carbine with him. The bolt had been blown back and lodged in the receiver. I believe a portion of the bolt had seared off and wedged itself on top of the bolt. The stock was split from the forend to the pistol grip. I could disassemble the gun down to the receiver and barrel, but could not move the bolt. It was wedged in the receiver, just out of battery about an 1/8 inch. I could see the gas port was dirty, but couldn't determine if it was clogged.

My inspection of the gun made me think it was one of two issues. Either the bolt wasn't fully locked in at the time of firing, or there was an over pressure due to excessive gas build up. My SIL was firing store bought 44 SPC at the time of the failure.

Due to the damage, I recommended he find a local gunsmith or send the receiver and barrel back to ruger for evaluation. I will see if I can get him to send pictures and will post them.

Make sure that bolt locks in place!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Was he firing 44 mag or 44 spcl?

Boolit Bub

MOA,

My SIL was firing store bought 44 SPC at the time of the failure.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Haven't shot mine yet. Will next week and let you know if I have the same issue.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    What is SPC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhou45 View Post

Due to the damage, I recommended he find a local gunsmith or send the receiver and barrel back to ruger for evaluation.

He'd be wasting his time, breath & money, since Ruger no longer supports the .44 autoloaders, has no repair parts, and any gunsmith will likely be stymied by the same lack of parts.

IDK if it's feasible to make a machined replacement for the investment cast bolt, but if a competent gunsmith/machinist could, it would likely cost more than the rifle's worth.

He would be better off IMO by searching for a parts donor .44 Carbine, or parting off (selling piece by piece - especially an unbroken trigger housing) what he has.

Pietro gives good advice about selling off what you have for parts. (Ha Ha) Since I am one of those people stuck with an early model with a broken tab on the trigger housing, I would snag that up right away. Keep that in mind should you decide to part out.

Banned
    good gun the ruger 44 carbine i have is first gen it had some trouble do to a weak spring replace shoots fine and kicks brass 20ft to the right love it

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yea... I know what you mean about the brass kicking out 20 feet... my range area has a lot of tall grass... makes it a pain to hunt down the brass after shooting.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rhou45 View Post
    Marco,

Interesting question, just happens I recently seen a Ruger 44 carbine that had a similar issue.

Two weeks ago my son in law and daughter were visiting. He brought a blown up 44 carbine with him. The bolt had been blown back and lodged in the receiver. I believe a portion of the bolt had seared off and wedged itself on top of the bolt. The stock was split from the forend to the pistol grip. I could disassemble the gun down to the receiver and barrel, but could not move the bolt. It was wedged in the receiver, just out of battery about an 1/8 inch. I could see the gas port was dirty, but couldn't determine if it was clogged.

My inspection of the gun made me think it was one of two issues. Either the bolt wasn't fully locked in at the time of firing, or there was an over pressure due to excessive gas build up. My SIL was firing store bought 44 SPC at the time of the failure.

Due to the damage, I recommended he find a local gunsmith or send the receiver and barrel back to ruger for evaluation. I will see if I can get him to send pictures and will post them.

Make sure that bolt locks in place!
    I'd throw it in a corner. buy another one and keep this one for parts. It's impossible to find parts for them and Ruger won't touch them. Try numerics gun parts.

Boolit Bub

Thanks Pietro, That was what I figured as well. It belonged to his grandfather, I told him he would probably be better off hanging it on the wall for sentimental reasons.

Boolit Bub

Thanks Tripplebeards. I agree.

Marko, try some slip2000 of you have any. I use it on my AR. Worth a try

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast