RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: miserable accuracy 7x57

Boolit Master

miserable accuracy 7x57

good morning all...and happy 4th to you !
    started my day by reading the The Declaration of Independence....then went to the range with my 7x57's
    Rolling Block, Ruger #1, and 1893 Mauser
    shooting 165 gr RN Cast....sized 0.285 and 0.286 with 40 grains of IMR4350
    100 yds shooting from kneeling with sticks results not so good (but had fun)
    1895 (scoped sight)....all over the place ! got worse as the barrel heated up
    Ruger #1(scoped sight)....most consistent but gradually opened up as the barrel heated
    Rem RB......(iron sights)...again not consistent and again the point of impact got worse as the barrel heated.

but it was fun burning powder....40 rds worth...just was not a very accurate load

have a great 4th
    ATR
    Last edited by atr; 07-05-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: mauser correction 1893 to 1895
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Only a speculation mind you, but...The '93 may very well be needing a .289" or better projectile. Leading???

The Rolling block could be large as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Your cast bullets are close to the correct size for the Ruger but are undersized for the other 2 rifles. They will probably need .288 - .290 sized cast bullets. Also your load of 40 gr 4350 is pushing the cast bullets way too fast for the twist of the barrels. You may want to drop to 30 gr, use a Dacron filler and work up to 35 gr. Better would be to switch to a medium burning powders such as H4895. Start at 24 gr and work up to 30 gr using a Dacron filler also.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

thanks guys...I have shot accurately with the .285-6 in both the M93 and RB...but using 16gr of 2400...so yes I think the velocity was too high..just thought I would try it as an "experiment"....I will stick with the 16/2400
    thanks for the thoughts
    atr

Boolit Master
    My M 93 had a groove diameter of .293"; I finally rebarreled the action. Guess the original barrel might of worked with paper patched boolits.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

Opps...mine is a 1895...I miss-typed. and the barrel slugged at .286

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Opps...mine is a 1895...I miss-typed. and the barrel slugged at .286
    My 7x57 is a Chilean M95 and also has a .286 groove diameter. Shoots cast extremely well with .287 sized old original RCBS Loverin style 28-168-FN.

Attachment 199170

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

thanks Larry
    That is a nice looking mold you are showing.
    my 160+ drops a t 0.287..so next time I will leave it un-sized and I will slow it down.

I have a 150 gr Loverin that shoots extremely well in my Ruger....so I will stick with that.

the 40 gr of 4350 was just a fun experiment....back to basics with 16 gr of 2400

Boolit Grand Master

FYI; actually .286/.287 is the correct size for European and S. American made 7x57 barrels. The .284 was the British 7mm size that we Americans also adopted as "correct" for 7mm.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I agree the bullet is too small. As the barrel expands from heat, the problem grows worse.

Just a matter of strange things, I had a 7X57 that wouldn't shoot worth beans from the bench, but was extremely accurate offhand. Never had a rifle like that before.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!