Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Which dies, neck sizer or X dies?

Boolit Master

Which dies, neck sizer or X dies?

I have a question, that I do not know the answer to.
    Which die set is easier on brass: neck sizer or RCBS x-dies?
    I am thinking about 6.5x55 Norma brass to be used in several rifles.
    Which die set will give the longest life to the brass?

Boolit Grand Master

I actually prefer the redding and some other bushing dies for extending brass life as you can have bushings for the brass that sizes to just what you need no sizing smaller and expanding back up. This saves on working of the brass. They also allow for neck tension to be adjusted to just what is needed. I have converted rcbs dies to bushing also for this ease of sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are using the brass in several rifles then the x die would be better as the chamber sizes arent likely to be the exact size in each gun. If you use the same brass in the same chamber each time I prefer neck sizing also, but at some point you may need to bump the shoulder back which will require another die.

Boolit Master

I actually have the X dies and neck sizing dies for 6.5x55. In my experience I got better accuracy with the Lee neck sizing die than the X dies. The rifle is capable of sub 0.4" groups with the right bullet and 5/8"-3/4" or so with expanding hunting bullets so it's a pretty good test bed. No need to full length size frequently since I only reload for one 6.5x55 rifle. I probably didn't load more than 100-150 rounds with the X dies before going to neck sizing. The gun shoots well enough with the Lee neck sizer that I have no desire to experiment further. It will ding an 8" plate at 500 yards without fail; plenty good for hunting.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris