MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 44 Mag Lee 310 Rossi 92

Boolit Man

44 Mag Lee 310 Rossi 92

I'm trying to get the Lee 310 to work in my Rossi 92. I have tons of these cast up and can only shoot so many full powered loads. My standard Redhawk load is crimped in the rear groove so they are too long for the 92. I use 21.5 gr H110

I know I should back that off if I'm going to seat deeper but how much? H110 doesn't like to be backed off. It's a pretty stout load to begin with. I'm thinking tying 20 gr.

Had anyone tried a reduced load? I'm thinking 8-10 gr Unique would work.

^^ike

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Using 20gr of AR2205 / H110 with that bullet in my Ruger 96/44 and it chrono's @1500fps. Crimped on the top groove to fit in the rotary mag. It doesn't strike me as a "cold" load.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Unique is ok, not my first or second choices, but 10g of unique feels very mild after H110... but what else do you have for powders? A very nice shooting powder for the big mag is Ramshot enforcer, or better yet Alliant 2400 if you find it or have it already... you are welcome to pm me if you need more ideas...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Mild loads I use 231/HP-38 7.5-8 grains, light recoil, spooky accurate. Heavy loads, 2400, 20 grains. They shouldn't hunt you much in that Rossi. My 92 has a crescent butt plate and a couple dozen of them will make you shake like St. Vitus.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Man
    Thanks, I have Unique, H110, 231/HP38, Bullseye, Titegroup, WST, CFE Pistol. I've wanted to try 2400 but can't find any locally. I can find most other 44 Mag powders. #9 is also on the list to try as it seems close to 2400.

When I had a Winchester trapper 94, some years ago now, my standard load was 20 grains of 2400 over a lyman 429215 cast with my own mix of 50 percent wheelweight and 50 percent soft lead smelted down from some old lead pipe. It was pleasant to shoot, and accurate enough to easily shatter fragments of clay pigeons at the 100 yard berm of my gun club's range. That same recipe did not prove as accurate in a 92 EMF rifle with a 24 inch octagon barrel. You might try the 429215 boolit. Not many people talk much about it, but in some guns it's accurate, and easy on the shoulder to shoot.

Lyman's cast bullet handbook 4th edition list the Lee 310 with 2400 15.0gr start and 16.6gr Max.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Isn't the issue of "backing off" on the 110 loads due more to case volume fills rather than just book numbers?

Since I'm more of a fan of A2400 and AA#9, I don't really have hands on experience with H110. Just asking.

jd

H110/W296 does not like air space in the case. The powder needs to at least come up to the base of the boolit, if not slightly compressed.
    You can run into pressure spikes otherwise.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Use these in my Marlin and like was stated crimp on the top one .I forgot who told me about it.but that took care of the OAL on the rifle and they work good on my Redhawk also crimp the same way.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Man
    I wasn't looking for it but stumbled upon 2# of 2400! I'll try it first.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    The 310gr Lee boolit is really a great one for the 44 mags. With its dual crimp groves. 20 gr H110/Win296 is a standard load that works grsat all around.
    You are being watched.

Although I don't have a 92 in 44 mag, I have a SBH in 44 that lives on 18grs of lilgun under the Lee 310. Now my puma 92 is in 454 casull it also likes lilgun and AA1680 under a 345 gr boolit. But 10grs unique under a 255 Lee is SCARY accurate and nets 1100fps from the 16.5" barrel with a 10fps deviation.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt