Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Romanian psl Dragonov Reloading

Boolit Master

Romanian psl Dragonov Reloading

I have a Dragonov in 7.62 x 54r Question, what is a good cast load that will work the action. I do have a few type of 30 cals mold from 120 to 185 grain.

I think I'd start with the heavy boolit for inertia and use the Lyman data &work up till it runs. IMR 3031 might work.

Boolit Master
    Slug the bore before attempting anything. Last thing you want to do is lead up the gas system. Most 30 cal molds are most likely on the small side

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Slug the bore before attempting anything. Last thing you want to do is lead up the gas system. Most 30 cal molds are most likely on the small side
    I have molds from 309 to 313. But what i understand most will not chamber much over 310.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I think I'd start with the heavy boolit for inertia and use the Lyman data &work up till it runs. IMR 3031 might work.
    I do have a 185 grain mold and 3031 powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    I have a Dragonov in 7.62 x 54r Question, what is a good cast load that will work the action. I do have a few type of 30 cals mold from 120 to 185 grain.
    First of all understand your Romanian rifle is not a "Dragonov" (SVD). The Romanian rifle is based on the RPK. The True Soviet SVD (Dragonov) is a different system. Though the Romanian rifle (many times referred to as a "ROMAK") outwardly looks like a SVD, it is not.

The Lee C312-185 may work in your rifle, it certainly does in the MN. The loading I've done for both the Romanian ROMAK and a true Soviet SVD with cast bullets was with Lyman 314299 cast bullets, H4895 powder and a Dacron filler in Bulgarian pull down cases with original Berdan primers. The bullets were cast of COWWs + 2% tin and WQ'd. They were sized at .312, lubed with Javelina and GC'd with Hornady's. With the SVD, given the 10" twist I worked up a load generating 1900 fps and then adjusted the gas system for reliable functioning. With the ROMAK I worked up to reliable functioning while keeping the velocity below 1950 fps. Turned out the load was pretty much the same for both.

Accuracy was better with the SVD at 2 - 3 moa at 100 yards for 10 shots (mag capacity). That SVD was in almost new condition and put match loads (46 gr H4895 under a 174 gr .311 Sierra MK) into 1 1/2 - 2 moa. The ROMAK held 3 - 4 moa with the cast loads and 2 - 2 1/2 moa with the match load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I did similar to Mr Gibson except used the 312-185 didn't have any issues in my PSL loads were CZ ball cases and the original powder (similar to a slow lot of 4895) at 30 grs with a fluffed Dacron wad over the powder . Functioned well and was about the equal of most 54r ball ammo .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I did essentially what Larry suggested, using NOE clone of #314299 sized .313" for a WW2 -era SVT40 and got good cycling above 35 grains of 4895 salvage pull-down, groups tightened up nicely in the range of 38-40 grains, depending upon powder lot. Looking at 1900-2000 fps, use 300 metre sight setting for 100, 400 setting for 200, etc., close enough...

No leading issues with 16 BHN alloy and 50-50 Alox-beeswax.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Larry Gibson I do know it really not a Dragonov. But when i tell people it a Romak they say what is that.? I just got in a habit to call it a Dragonov because more people know what is a Drageonov is

Boolit Grand Master

bouncer50

No criticism meant, just explaining.

Another suggestion, if you get the heavier 314299 bullet then it also might work well with a slower powder such as H4831. That can increase the gas port pressure while keeping the velocity under 1950 fps for reliable functioning. Not sure that will work with the 185 gr bullet though. The ROMAK piston/oprod/bolt and carrier have more mass than the SVDs and might need a bit more oomph to function.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    bouncer50

No criticism meant, just explaining.

Another suggestion, if you get the heavier 314299 bullet then it also might work well with a slower powder such as H4831. That can increase the gas port pressure while keeping the velocity under 1950 fps for reliable functioning. Not sure that will work with the 185 gr bullet though. The ROMAK piston/oprod/bolt and carrier have more mass than the SVDs and might need a bit more oomph to function.
    None taken Sir. I myself do not high opinion of the Romak not really accurate as a so=call sniper rifle. Now my Fn Fal is very accurate.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez be REAL CAREFUL with that Dacron filler fellas.
    Just a little too much and KABOOM!
    Best to not use fillers in necked cartridges....

Boolit Buddy
    SVT and PSL - does these mangle brass? And any issues feeding lead into the chamber?

Thanks
    Geoff in Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    SVT and PSL - does these mangle brass? And any issues feeding lead into the chamber?

Thanks
    Geoff in Oregon
    Mine didn't anymore than a Garand or AR , feed fine with the RN and semi spitzer nose shapes I tried can comment on FN bullets
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

I never notice any mangling with the ROMAKs other than the case mouths on some cases were slightly flattened on one side. No more so than with other gas guns as mentioned. With the SVD there was none as the gas system is adjustable. With the SVD the adjustment was so the cases laid right off to the side at 2 - 3 o'clock in a neat pile.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    SVD - When I was shooting on the All-Guard - late 80's/early 90's. Talking to the one teams - they took a SVD and put a match barrel on it. Improved tha accuracy, but not a tremdous amount. Just an old war story....

Going to have to try some cast boolits in the PSL and Tokarov...Then, to really go outside the box - Hakim....

Anyone want to trade some Norma 7.62x54R brass for a 314299 mold?

Geoff in Oregon