RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call it pride or whatever, but I have difficulty asking for prayer.

Praying for a clear image that will lead to a happy permanent solution for you.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    When you quit eating or drinking because it hurts too much to get off the floor (beds were too soft) you know you're in pain.
    I truly feel for you and pray for your recovery.
    Sawbones didn't help me, A naturopathic chiropractor got me lined out and functioning. My muscles were so tight I had to get inebriated before my first few visits (I didn't drive) so he could get my back to move and straighten it back out.
    Not to scare you, but once you've had a bad back injury you will be highly susceptible to re-injury. You'll need to pay attention to and change how you do some things (i.e. keep back straight, lift with knees, don't twist rapidly, no jerking, stretch a little each morning ...you’ll find what works for you) I'm not saying it will disable you, I did 30 years as a contractor after it happened. You just have to always remember and be careful (which only limits reoccurrences) My family could tell when my back went out again, the grand kids would say "grandpa your crooked again" if it didn't get better in a few days it was back to the chiropractor.

Boolit Master
    Let the neurosurgeon tell you whether cortisone injections are a good bet for you. Mine told me he didn't think I would see much benefit from them, but they should be tried before resorting to surgery.

With regard to stretching, I do that very carefully in the shower under a stream of hot water. Better to underdo it than to overdo it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Heavenly Father, bring peace and comfort to our brother Char Gar, and ease his pain. Give wisdom to his doctor, and all those who are involved in his treatment. Amen.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Lord I know you are a merciful and compassionate Lord. I know your eye is on the sparrow and each and every one of us. I do not know your will in this but I expect that this is not a manifestation of that will. I expect this is normal wear and tear on the human body. I do ask if you can to help and heal my brother. Bring him back as close as possible to how he was before.

Let him heal and overcome this trial so he can go back to helping you.

I ask this in the name of God the Father almight, his Son our Lord Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

To God be the glory, forever and ever amen.

Moderator Emeritus

Hoping and praying you're doing better, Char-Gar. This isn't one of those one-and-done prayer situations. God bless and keep you.

Thanks for the prayers. I had the MRI today and it was not fun. Laying on a bad back motionless for 1/2 hr. was a challenge, but I got er done. Now I wait 8 days until I can see the spine doc again. Thanks again.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

Just keep remembering that verse "This too shall pass." It won't help the pain, but just knowing the pain isn't permanent sure helped me sometimes. A little, at least. Not knowing, we always tend to imagine the worst, and that makes the pain go deeper. I know a little about this because it surely helped me bear some of the pains I've had. Some good drugs can usually assuage the pain, but I never found anything that would eliminate it. But then, when your back is ailing like yours, it's probably good to have something to keep us from injuring it further. Bull-headed old pharts like some of us can be CAN make things worse, and that is NOT good! Praying for remission until you get it fixed, though.

Banned
    No stretching until the MD tells you
    My favorite positions were on a hard mattress:
    On my side, knees bent and a pillow between knees
    on my back, knees bent and a pillow under knees ( when I use this position, using my arms I try to scrunch stretch, put a little traction on my back by shifting my shoulders up/away from my legs. Nothing drastic, a little goes a long way

With MRI disc in hand, I hobbled into the Spine Docs office. He inserted the disc in the player, looked through the various images and then started to point things out to me. He showed me spurs and places where there should be cartridge but was none or very little. I asked him if he had a name for this.

"Sure" he said, "You are falling apart.". I remarked that was a hell of a medical diagnosis and he replied, "What do you expect, you are 75 years old." So he gave me an injection in the spine and it has helped quite a bit. I don't really know what the end game is, but I was able to cook breakfast this morning for the first time in months.

Onward and upward......
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Perma-Banned

[QUOTE=Char-Gar;4104048]With MRI disc in hand, I hobbled into the Spine Docs office. He inserted the disc in the player, looked through the various images and then started to point things out to me. He showed me spurs and places where there should be cartridge but was none or very little. I asked him if he had a name for this.

"Sure" he said, "You are falling apart.". I remarked that was a hell of a medical diagnosis and he replied, "What do you expect, you are 75 years old." So he gave me an injection in the spine and it has helped quite a bit. I don't really know what the end game is, but I was able to cook breakfast this morning for the first time in months.

Glad to hear that you have some relief...and a definitive diagnosis...

Boolit Master
    My father in law had terrible osteoarthritis in his spine and suffered greatly from it. Because he also had a mechanical heart valve anti-inflammatory drugs where contraindicated because of his heart medicine. He took morphine every night just to sleep! The situation he was in wasn't what he left us to remember.

He left us with so many prayers of thanks giving and strength, yet he always asked God to grant us reasonable health. I remember my son asking him why he didn't ask to be healed? He answered that it was unreasonable to ask to be 25 again!

Work where I do and you'll soon realize how many are cut down long before 75. (I'm sure you do) God's blessings for you is my prayer.

Boolit Master

Good news friend! The injectable steroid should provide more relief over the next several days. A bit surprised he didn't offer something to take by mouth with it and use periodically, maybe every several months. Of course docs gotta eat too and that may require another visit. Dexamethasone is relatively mild and is a common prescription, cheap as dirt too. Yes, good news and thanks for the update. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus

Char-Gar, at age 75, you're in a position where some docs don't think it's "worth" doing a fusion on you, and indeed, there may be multiple discs and spurs that are in need of addressing. But watch out for that sort of attitude in your doc, because many will live into their late 80's and even 90's, and at 75, that leaves 15 years in which to bear pain or receive really effective treatment. Docs have a habit of thinking they can predict what's going to happen in the future. It's a real occupational hazzard. If the pain gets rough again, and I fear it likely will, you may need to talk to some more docs, and find one who's willing to solve the problem for you once and for all, like with a fusion or whatever. Just be sure to watch for this.

When I go shopping for a doc, it's their general attitude and outlook I tend to focus on the most, since I cannot know enough to evaluate their skills or their experience. But I've long been trying to evaluate folks' attitudes and sense of morality. If a doc has his head screwed on straight in that area, it's a lot more likely that he's got the kind of attitude that older men like us need for them to have for us to get a really "fair shake" from them. Just a FWIW. Still praying for you, brother.

Prayers sent. I've been dealing with the same type of problems for the last 6 years after a motorcycle accident. Not fun at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I know your pain sir. You NEED to get a copy of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Back-Mechanic...+stuart+mcgill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Glad to hear that you have some relief...and a definitive diagnosis...
    Ain't that the truth!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

The steroid injection helped considerably. I can get around the house without much pain unless I stand very long in one place. I can sleep without meds. Yesterday, I drove my car for the first time in five weeks. We drove down to South Padre Island for a good seafood lunch and back home.

Life is now bearable. This injection is not a permanent cure, but at five days it seems to be holding all right. Thanks again for all your prayers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The steroid injection helped considerably. I can get around the house without much pain unless I stand very long in one place. I can sleep without meds. Yesterday, I drove my car for the first time in five weeks. We drove down to South Padre Island for a good seafood lunch and back home.

Life is now bearable. This injection is not a permanent cure, but at five days it seems to be holding all right. Thanks again for all your prayers.
    Just got back from a 3 week trip through eight states (went through some, both coming and going) and was thinking about you Friday morning the 21st, when I drove through El Paso headed for San Antonio.

Really glad your life is back to a semi normal.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

Char-Gar glad that the injections have helped and glad that you are able to get out.....I loved the technical medical terms your doctor used thought....keep the faith and we will keep the prayers ah' commin'....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast