MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Remington 788

Still got mine

I still have my 22-250 from waaay back. It wears an updated scope and has an Timney trigger now, but it will still shoot the eyes out of coyote!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22-250 new scope.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	202419

Boolit Master

The LGS proprietor needed some fast cash and made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a Rem. 788 in .223 caliber. He threw in a scope with mounts for cash in hand. He said it was a good rifle and would stand behind it if I was not satisfied. I took the bait and coughed up the $ 200 if I recall correctly. He was right in every sense of the word. I have used several lbs of W844 behind Nosler's 52 gr. match bullets. Nosler printed right on the box these bullets came in that they were for accuracy and not to be used for varmint hunting, but they were wrong. If ever a finer varmint bullet was made, I would like to see it. Those bullets are absolutely explosive. But no matter how good the bullet, if they are not shot in a good rifle, they won't perform. I've had this Rem. 788 since the early '80s and have no plans to part with it in my lifetime. I will pass it on to my son when I am done with it. Big Boomer

I've had my 788 in 6mmRem since late 70's and it shoots well. I would like to install a good recoil pad to absorb some recoil, but can't find one so far that fits. Has anyone found a good one to recommend? Thanks.

I like Hogues. You won't find a pre fit for a 788. It's going to be grind to fit or slip on for choices. Limbsaver makes a great slip on that really works. I use it when bench testing rifles such as milsurps or guns of significant recoil. I bought a "pre-fit" for a Rem 870 and the fit was a little off. I feel that is common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like Hogues. You won't find a pre fit for a 788. It's going to be grind to fit or slip on for choices. Limbsaver makes a great slip on that really works. I use it when bench testing rifles such as milsurps or guns of significant recoil. I bought a "pre-fit" for a Rem 870 and the fit was a little off. I feel that is common.

HaHa! That reminds me of the Larry Potterfield video on fitting a 98% finished stock, he said "there's a lot of work in that last 2%!" "And that's the way it is!"
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I'm not afraid of a little hard work, but I'd like to start with a model that is a pretty close fit to minimize the effort. Im using a slip on recoil pad now and am not satisfied. Suggestions appreciated.

Boyd's Gunstocks list stocks for the 788:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...=204&Action=93

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

You'll need to measure your buttplate heel to toe and widest point and compare these measurements to the pad you like. If you call Brownell's or Midway they can probably get you close. I have dealt with Hogue directly as well for this.
    It's not hard work- just messy &stinky grinding rubber. A fitting jig will help but unless you're doing several it's not worth the
    $$.

This is the Hogue I like. Soft enough to work and hard enough to take some abuse.

Sparkyv- I've sent you a pm.

The neatest thing I saw about fitting recoil pads was to use two layers of masking tape on the wood next to the pad. As you grind down, the top layer is lifted off, allowing you a bit of breathing space before you hit the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Sparkyv- I've sent you a pm.

I must have missed it Tex. Also, been a little distracted with Harvey this past week.

Using the Limbsaver template, model # 10807 seems to be a pretty close fit. Might have to put it on the list.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Mines a .243 carbine . One of my boys will get it when I die but it's not going anywhere till then .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Using the Limbsaver template, model # 10807 seems to be a pretty close fit. Might have to put it on the list.
    I'll resend it.

Boolit Master
    Bought a .44 magnum M788 back in 1968; astonished me with accuracy. Stock is walnut. Refinished with a Herter's linspeed equivalent when the varnish began to flake. Extractor/ejector is peculiar for rimmed cartridges, and broke once, so replaced it and bought a spare.
    Bought a left hand 788 6mm Remington last year, made a post about it on here - Saeco RG6 100gr GC great in it.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Guy at work has a pristine 788 in 30-30
    He'd take $550 I'm pretty sure.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I'm already trying to see what I can sell to get it......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I'm already trying to see what I can sell to get it......
    I would be too.....
    Thomas

Boolit Master

I bought my 788 in .308 used, many years ago. Put a Leopold scope on it and probably only shot it a couple of hundred times at the range. I really don't remember how it shot. With my skill that is probably best. All the ammo was some Norma that I got on closeout(I think). Kicked pretty good with 180 gr. bullets. I mostly wanted the brass anyway.

After reading this thread, I need to dig into the back of the safe and cast some boolits for it and quit moving that Norma brass around to get to something else.
    John
    W.TN

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast