RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Remington 788

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Nothing like vaporising crows with a 220Swift or a 22/250!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Mine was a .223. Sold it. Wish I hadn't. Ah, well.

Truth, Four Fingers.
    One of my favorites in 22-250 was the Hornady SuperExplosive bullet loaded as fast as IMR 4320 would push them without the bullet coming apart. It was like shooting a black feather pillow..... I too lament letting that first 788 go!
    I killed my second buck with that gun.
    Of course my first fell to a borrowed Marlin 30-30.
    They died instantly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Truth, Four Fingers.
    One of my favorites in 22-250 was the Hornady SuperExplosive bullet loaded as fast as IMR 4320 would push them without the bullet coming apart. It was like shooting a black feather pillow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    I've only recently got into the 22/250, my original crow vaporiser was a Ruber No1B in 220Swift. I used the 52Gn Speer HP and 55Gn SP bulk buy bullets to great effect, but it's absolute fav bullet was the 63Gn Sierra, man, it loved those things and would bang them into a five shot group, al touching at 100yds. I sold it to feed and clothe children, as you do.

I just discovered a 1000 plastic imitation ammo can of 55Gn Speer SPs the other day about 2/3rds full. They were on specal in the late 80s and I bought 5,000 of them. They laid waste to lots of rabbits, foxes, roos and goats, mostly out of my 223 SAKO.

Great find. I currently have a 788 in 222Remington, a Ruger American Compact and a T3 Hunter in 223, a 788 and a Remington 700 big varmint rig (A rifle I didn't want, but took it to rescue a mate) in 22/250. Crow busting time! I think that there is a Winchester Model 70 XTR push feed in 22/250 buried in a safe somewhere as well.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a 788 in 6mm for my first rifle for deer hunting
    being a smart kid it eventually slipped through my hands
    but thanks to the forum here I found a 788 in 6mm on S/S
    and bought it immediately-It won't happen twice me letting it get away
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    What say you?
    History seems to have spoken, as 788 rifles and actions are highly sought after. I have one in .308 and it's a tack driver. The only drawback I have found is that it is a heavy rifle. Magazines are still plentifully available.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I never minded the weight. But, I don't like light rifles as I can't shoot them as well, especially when standing. 10lb is good for me so the 788 is a lightweight

Boolit Master
    I would love to luck into a 30-30. It's the only bolt in that caliber I would want. It looks nicer than the savages.

The 788 in 30/30 is the Holy Grail, haha. I don't know that any came to Australia, I've never seen one. It'll be quickdraw with a deposit if I ever see one, that's for sure. I have seen several old Savage 30/30s, but all had absolutely trashed barrels.

Boolit Master
    We have had several in the family over the years. No regrets with any of them.

The only one that remains is called " the New Yellow Rifle. It's a 222 with a lot of throat wear. It has accounted for hundreds of Prairie Dogs over its life.

I bought a 223 Tikka for my son as a combo varmint/hog/ light deer rifle. There are a lot of parallels with the old 788 in 22/250, 243 or 6 mm.

Boolit Master
    I have never owned one, my friends father had a LH 243 that was amazing as to how accurate it was! He'd shoot crows resting from a fence post in the back yard, and it was probably 300+ yards to the tree line at the back of the fields. We would stand there in amazement when he shot them, they'd drop like a rock! Always wanted one, but never found When I had the money.

Boolit Master

Remington 788

I have one in 30/30 with the walnut stock. It's probably the most accurate 30/30 in my stable, but its 1 in 10" twist limits velocity to about 1850 with cast bullets for accuracy. I always thought that Remington rushed them into production and never quite finished the design. For me, used to Model 54s and Model 70s, it's a very clunky action, is not aesthetically pleasing, and has no pizazz. I can't argue with their accuracy and I guess in the end, that's the final measure of a good rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remington 788 30-30 01.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-23-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

The 788 22-250 turned me into a rifle looney in 1972 when I bought a package rifle at Gibson's for $85. That was the rifle, a mounted Universal 4x scope, and a Remington leather sling. A box of Winchester Super-X shells added $5 more. I thought that was expensive so my next purchase was a Lee Loader. I would trade my Tikka T3 Hunter 22-250 for that gun's twin some days when I get misty.......
    Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    We have had several in the family over the years. No regrets with any of them.

The only one that remains is called " the New Yellow Rifle. It's a 222 with a lot of throat wear.
    It might be worth pulling the barrel and rethreading and rechambering to remove the worn throat.

I still have a 30-30 and a 44 Mag version..... Luckily I stocked up on mags..... But I redid the stocks plus.... Swivels, Recoil pads. Receiver sights... But they are shooters anyhow... I'd love to try the 44 on hogs with some 265 gr. jacked stuff. The 30-30 mag length limits what bullets you can use through it.....

Boolit Master
    Wheelwaits,

I used the speer 270gr bullet in 44 mag for my jacketed loads for whitetail...I only quit using them because they were getting hard to find and I wanted to go to cast for all my hunting rifles...
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    243 brand new in83 still got it it stills shoots great best 300 can bucks ever spent

I bought my little brother(a lefty) a LH 788 in 308... He killed a wagon load of deer with that gun... I think I paid around $90. for it...He wanted something better,,, Got him a LH 700 in 30-06.... Sold the 788 for $350 without the scope...My investments should do as well....

Boolit Bub
    For several years I shot a Remington Model 788 chambered for .308 Winchester with cast bullets, It was very accurate. In a moment of temporary foolishness, I sold it. I wish I had it back.

We could have a support group- "Hi- my name is Thomas and I miss my 788."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast