WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few more hogs with the Ruger 96/44 and the Lee 310gr

Fenring, Great write up! Keep up the good work. Pig hunting with cast boolets, motorcycles and lots of shooting. Sounds like Heaven to me.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master

Fenring, anytime I see you post I have a "look see."

Love your hog hunting posts and info. Keep'em coming!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

In Remembrance

Great story! TYVM! I just knew there was a reason to get that big LEE mold, LOL.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Thanks guys.

On the left are three recovered Devastators, having lost 100gr of nose cone and found under the far side skin.

The other two are the Lee. I've a third the same, somewhere. 100% weight retention.

Boolit Master

Fenring, have you ever tried putting wax, silicone, etc in the hp of the Devastator to see how it affected performance?

Your boolits are working great, just curious.

I have that same mold of Lee and will use it in my Marlin 44mag . Now I know how it will do now for your post Fenring. Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Fenring, have you ever tried putting wax, silicone, etc in the hp of the Devastator to see how it affected performance?

Your boolits are working great, just curious.
    No, haven't tried that. Interesting idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I have that same mold of Lee and will use it in my Marlin 44mag . Now I know how it will do now for your post Fenring. Thank you
    Here's another recovered one.

And the fella it came from.

Hit halfway along, the cast 315gr Lee was just under the skin on the opposite side and expanded perfectly.

This was a poorly placed shot at a boar that burst out of a "cave" in an undercut creek bank in Cape York. I had about two seconds to unsling, chamber and fire and I hit him behind the ribcage. Saw his back end drop before he disappeared into long grass. Found him holed up under a small palm about 20m away and finished him with a head shot. He was maybe 80kg.
    Last edited by Fenring; 07-07-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    very nice
    excellent boolit performance to boot
    havin fun and grillin does it get any better
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings from the other side of the pond
    You and your mates should be presented with a medal for undertaking such fine public service ! Excellent work !
    Not to mention the fun of riding about on a 2 wheeler popping vermin. Thank you for all the good photos.
    ^^^^^this^^^^^
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I have been blessed with very little envy in my life. I'm turning a little green looking at this post though. I don't get after 'em much anymore so loving to see hard core pig killers at work. Some nice ones too. Great job guys!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    No, haven't tried that. Interesting idea though.

Here's another recovered one.

And the fella it came from.

Hit halfway along, the cast 315gr Lee was just under the skin on the opposite side and expanded perfectly.

This was a poorly placed shot at a boar that burst out of a "cave" in an undercut creek bank in Cape York. I had about two seconds to unsling, chamber and fire and I hit him behind the ribcage. Saw his back end drop before he disappeared into long grass. Found him holed up under a small palm about 20m away and finished him with a head shot. He was maybe 80kg.
    Looks like AC instead of WQ is the ticket for good expansion and maximum energy transfer at rifle velocities from the lee 310.

Didn't I see you on the Mario brothers game?lol

I'm going to see if the 310's feed from my Ruger carbine besides using them in my 77/44. I'm sure the devistator will.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-21-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Boolit Master

This is just what works for me, and others do it different, but I don't water quench any of my cast loads. Just never needed to do it.

My main casting is done with clip on wheel weights, or 50/50 Coww/pure, adding 2 % tin to either melt. Handgun or rifle boolits up to 2100 fps, grease loobed or PC'ed.

No leading, good groups, works greats hunting for anything in WV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    This is just what works for me, and others do it different, but I don't water quench any of my cast loads. Just never needed to do it.

My main casting is done with clip on wheel weights, or 50/50 Coww/pure, adding 2 % tin to either melt. Handgun or rifle boolits up to 2100 fps, grease loobed or PC'ed.

No leading, good groups, works greats hunting for anything in WV.
    Courious if you and Fenring have tested your BH? It's nice to know I have use for my pure lead flooring it took me a weeknight a half to melt.

I'm new at this and everything I've been reading was telling me 18/19 BH on up for 44 mag pistol and rifle velocities to keep from leading and best consistency. It seems like most you posters are anywhere from 8-12 BH if I had to guess. My WQ PC 310's tested out at 15BH the other day but haven't had a chance to harvest anything with them yet.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-08-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Banned

That performance is impressive as is everything else about this thread. Why waste time with the devestator if it comes apart and you get perfect results with the Lee 310 grain??? With the right alloy, the large meplat does everything you could ever want.

Boolit Master

Jmort I have agree the 310 Lee looks like the better boolit for hogs. If it ever got "ugly" with a nasty hog, I would want the better weight retention of the 310 Lee. Maybe Fenring will chime in as to his opinion.

Tripplebeards, I never have checked my Brinnell hardness of my alloy. Just COWW plus some tin to help the casting. I use COWW/pure lead for some hunting-only loads.

IN my various length 44 mag revolver barrels, I get 1200 to 1300 fps.

In a .44 mag Contender Super 14 the velocity is around 1500 fps.

In my Winchester Model 94 AE with a 20" barrel my loads run about 1700 fps.

Get the boolit sized right for the gun, and I have no problems with leading or accuracy. The only .44 I have to size boolits larger for is an older S&W Model 29, as it has large chamber throats. I size .433" for this revolver.

Yeah, I think the Lee is the one to have if you're expecting larger pigs to be on the menu, but boy the Devastator is poison on run of the mill ones.

Yeah, I think the Lee is the one to have if you're expecting larger pigs to be on the menu, but boy the Devastator is poison on run of the mill ones.
    Videos!!! I haven't seen any hunting videos using cast boolits on game yet! Market it and cut me in for the idea!

Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Probably would retain more weight if cast of 16-1 alloy. That's my experience anyway.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast