Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Go to loads for SA M1A NM

Boolit Grand Master

Go to loads for SA M1A NM

Should be able to pick up a new Springfield Armory M1A National Match pretty soon.

Was wondering if anyone has a go to loading for this or if there is a known loading that is reasonably accurate. Want to load up 200 or so to break it in and will work on load development after that.

Also, what magazines are everyone running.

Don't plan on adding optics. Wanted a fun younger brother to my Garands.

Boolit Master

The standard load to duplicate the M852 match round was 41 to 42 grains of 4895, 168 grain SMK in LC cases. Primer choice varies by shooter, but I always liked the CCI 200 primers for the 200 and 300 yards stages and I often used the Federal match primer for 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yard shooting, but any good large rifle primer will usually suffice. Remington 9 1/2 primers are a good choice.

Velocity of the above load, depending on the rifle, is between 2,500 to 2,600 fps. Come ups on the sight (1 MOA per click) is on average 3 clicks per hundred yards between 200 and 500 yards. Up to four clicks from 500 to 600 yards.

The current darling of the NM and sniper world is the 175 grain SMK as loaded in the Lake City M118 LR loads. It shoots slightly flatter, but its real benefit is that it remains supersonic to 1,000 yards. Again, 41 or 42 grains of 4895 will get you up to or past 2,600 with it. If you have any of the older LC 173 grain bullets, these will work too, although they usually won't group as well as the Sierra product.

If you're just breaking the M1A in, then use the cheaper M80 ball FMJ 147 grain bullets that several manufacturers make. 46 grains of 4895 will push it to a little over 2,800 fps and a good quality bullet will hold you in the 10 ring to 300 yards easily. It is more wind sensitive than the heavier bullets though.

GI magazines are the best, although now and then you'll run into a recalcitrant example. I always marked my reliable magazines and discarded any (rarely) that hinted of a fairlure to feed.

As always, work up to these loads.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-03-2017 at 02:04 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I shot high power I used the 168 smk with 40.5 grs IMR 4895. Though most shooters at the time used 41.5 grains of imr4895.
    I was never very good on the 600 yard range anyway. But that Rifle (MiA with heavy barrel) and a heavy fibraglass stock could drill tight groups in the 200 and 300 yard rapid stages.

Boolit Grand Master

I suggest using the RCBS X die to FL size the cases. A regular .308W X die is the one to use. The AR or SB X die is not needed for the M1A. Using the X die you can get upwards of 20+ firings per case and won't have to trim the cases at all. I conducted an extensive test ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ield-M1A/page8 post #155) and have used the .308W X die exclusively with my M1As, the 223 X-die with my ARs and several other caliber X dies for other guns.

I no longer have to throw away cases after 3 - 6 +/- firings because of incipient case head separation.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-03-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Check Mate Industries is the current supplier of M14 magazines to the military, and also manufactures the magazines that Springfield sells and ships with their rifles. They are available from several sources including 44Mag.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

As stated above, 41-42.0 IMR 4895, Sierra168 or 175 OTM in LC brass. Stick with 4895 or 4064 for the pressure curve. Hornady 150 FMJs make good plinking ammo. It's been 15-20 years since I loaded for one. Win and Rem brass doesn't hold up well compared with LC. I moved on to an H&K design (Cetme) for a MBR and finally to the SCAR 17.

Still miss the 2 M1As I had. Still have a 1939 M1 Garand though. Couldn't get rid of her. Enjoy the new toy. She has some legs and can reach out further than you think.

Boolit Master
    Too bad I did not know about the "X" die back in the early 90's when I was shooting the M1A. I used std and small base RCBS dies and a Dillon RT1200. Even with LC match brass I only got about 3 loads out of brass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I suggest using the RCBS X die to FL size the cases. A regular .308W X die is the one to use. The AR or SB X die is not needed for the M1A. Using the X die you can get upwards of 20+ firings per case and won't have to trim the cases at all. I conducted an extensive test ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ield-M1A/page8 post #155) and have used the .308W X die exclusively with my M1As, the 223 X-die with my ARs and several other caliber X dies for other guns.

I no longer have to throw away cases after 3 - 6 +/- firings because of incipient case head separation.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the X did advice Larry. I've read several threads where you've recommended it and read you analysis of your studies and findings. I have a Sig 716 that I've loaded for and have a bunch of 168gr Hornady polymer tipped ammo loaded with 42.5gr XBR 8208 and a bunch of plinking loads loaded with RL15 and 147gr FMJ pulls IIRC. Being that the Sig is a piston gun, I didn't have to worry so much about op rods and what not.

I've got 500 168gr polymer tipped match seconds coming from midway and have several pounds of IMR 4895 so will start with that. I also have a few more thousand 147gr pulls. They're ugly and I wouldn't use them in a March but are plenty good for plinking.

Can't wait to get started with this project. Should be fun.

Boolit Master
    During my Service rifle days, with M1A, my go to load was 41 gr IMR 4320/ 168 SMK or Hornady, LC Match cases,
    WLR primer. It matched exactly the sight settings of the then required M852 ammo issued at Perry.
    the short stick 4320 or later Varget meters so much better than the "classic" 4895.
    Made Pres 100 and Distinguished with it.
    My palma rifle load of 155 Amax/45 Varget/WLR/WW cases also shot very well for long range in M1A
    beltfed/arnie

Now, again, gee whiz. isn't this a Cast Boolits forum/??????

Boolit Master
    I am now looking at some of my CBs to try in my M1A- 311299, 311334.
    beltfed/arnie