Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: zastava rifles

I have a CZ and I will not part with it. That's saying a lot because most come and go. CZ has the edge this time!
    Nit Wit

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use aperture sights on most of my rifles, usually Williams or Lyman. Unfortunately, they aren't made for every rifle and many of them require drilling and tapping. The Zastava 85 .223 I have on the way is one of them. I've been thinking about finding a rear sight that fits on Weaver or Picatinny rails, commonly used on AR's. Most of them out there are too tall for rifles other than AR's. I found that UTG, an AR accessory maker, produces a low Weaver mount rear sight that is windage and elevation adjustable for only $20.00 or so. So, if you can put a Weaver rail on your rifle you can put a rear sight on it. I ordered one, will report how well it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MNT_910_PRO_01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	216416
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Bailed out the Zastava and put the UTG sight on it. This is a very nice sight for $20.00 or so, I think I'm going to get an extra because I'm sure I'll need another one at some point. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm thinking I will need a higher front sight to use this one. The sight is mounted on ramp in a really small dovetail. I'm sure I could file down a 3/8" dovetail sight to fit, but does anyone know of any sights that are already available with these small dovetails? When the weather breaks I'm going to shoot it with the issue barrel mounted sights, then add the receiver sight and see how the two compare.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

To my amazement, the sun was out and the wind died down when I got home so I gave the Zastava a try. The only ammo I had was PMC 55 grain FMJ, the cheapest non-commie ammo the local shop carries. I was just using the issue sights off shooting sticks at 65 yards but this little rifle can shoot! It will easily cloverleaf if I do my part (not likely), see the five shot group here. Looking forward to rolling my own for it. I'll probably start out with Hornady 55grain soft points and then try boolits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	217634

Also, the trigger pull is pretty good but different. It's very smooth but creepy, like a Glock trigger. I took the stock off and fiddled with the adjustments some. I don't see how to get rid of the creep without reducing the sear engagement a whole lot. The rifle shoots great so I just decided to leave it as is for now.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a full size Zastava, so I don't know if I should weigh in on this thread. But, throwing caution to the wind................
    I have two of the mini Mauser Zastavas(.223 Rem and 22 Hornet) and 3 of the rimfire(one of each caliber), I find them well made, though they need some tinkering sometimes to get them to function really smoothly. The rimfire are especially good, with really good bluing. The .22 LR rifle is very accurate. The only plastic on them is the buttplate. I will agree with the previous comments on the wood. Not the best, but can be improved with a bit of work.

I've been trying to figure out how to put some better sights on this carbine. I want a peep but nobody makes a receiver sight for it. The rear sight has a .360 dovetail, the front has a .240 if you can believe that. I'm thinking the easiest and most cost effective thing to do will be to replace the rear sight on the barrel, which is mounted in an island type of base screwed on to the barrel. Marble's makes a barrel mounted rear sight which is secured by screws and can be equipped with an aperture, the number 30. Anybody ever try this sight before?

I have a Japan made Bushnell Banner 2.5x20 that needs a home, so I put it on the little Zastava with Weaver rings and mounts. Finally started reloading for it. Last night I resized and primed 50 rounds of brass, some Hornady 55 grain soft points with cannelure are supposed to arrive soon. Planning to try 18-21 grains of Reloder 7 and stick with whatever produces the smallest groups.

Update. Been shooting the little Zastava with 18 grains Reloder 7 and a 55 grain Hornady SP. This rifle and load get along great, shoots about an inch at 100 yards off shooting sticks. The barrel doesn't heat up very fast and muzzle blast is diminished compared to factory. So, I would guess it is about .221 Fireball or hot .22 Hornet performance level, exactly what I was looking for.

Boolit Master
    I have a Yugo mark X action that I bought for a rainy day. As you cycled the bolt you'd feel a little bump each time you opened or closed the bolt. Removed the magazine assembly and while a little smoother that little hitch was there. Used a magic marker on the bolt and found that the culprit was the extractor collar. Seems right where the collar is by the exreactor it was a little proud and you could see the contact points. So removed the extractor and collar and stoned a slight bevel on both sides of the collar and polished it on a home made buffing setup. Reassembled and was much better. Have seen this on a few mausers, one model 70 Winchester and one Ruger 77. Same remedy. Krags don't have this problem, and is noted for easy and fast actuation of the bolt. Was playing around with a GEW 1888 and with its case hardened action and smooth bolt body that action is also very smooth. For those that do not have a GEW1888 the extractor and ejector are located on the removable bolt head. 1891 Argentine mausers have the extractor dovetailed into the side of the bolt also making for a smooth bolt travel. Probably others like the lee Endfields of the MKIII and the #4 MKI*,#4 MKII Seem to pretty smooth with really nothing to impead the action of the bolt. But I have to say that I have two mausers VZ 24 action and a Persian 98/29 has a good feel stroking the bolt. My Yugo M48 BO is probably the roughest you feel every little bump every time you cycle the action. Even the moisin nagant is fairly decent when you take some time to study it. Frank

Boolit Master

I have two CZ rifles. The .22LR is a 452 Varmint with the heavy barrel. It is an absolute tack driver with a decent Leupold scope mounted.

The 223 Rem is the 527FS with the long Manlicher stock and again with a Leupold scope gets better groups than my skill can wring out of it. Yes the action on the .223 could be smoother but it is hardly broken in at less than 500 rounds though it.

I would love to find a Savage 99 in 243 with a decent set of receiver sights and a globe on the small end for coyote hunting. Some of my coyotes died a lingering death from a non lethal dose of .223 Rem when fired upon at 150 to 250 yds. If all my called in coyotes followed my hopes it would have been a clean kill at 50-75 yds but alas not all coyotes are that stupid. I believe that the Savage 99 is one of the finest rifles ever built and it would be not be kosher to slap a scope on one. With a decent receiver sight and a globe sight I would be comfortable taking those 200-250 yds shots on Mr. Wiley E. with a Savage 99 in 243.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123