Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coleman Stove

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I am not using a dual fuel stove. All my garage sale stoves are the traditional style designed for Coleman fuel (white gas). I use the cheapest "Non-Oxy gas" from the gas pump and in Minnesota, that is the premium gas, high octane, that is the only pump gas available without alcohol (Non-Oxy).

I don't have any clogging issues. The only problem I have had, and it was only one time, was the "generator" bent. I assume it's from the heat from countless hours of smelting lead alloys. Since I can buy a good used stove for less than the price of a new Generator, I just scrapped out the stove, and plan to use a different one.

I should state, the with Non-Oxy Pump gas, the Flame does burn more of a orange color, as opposed to the nice blue color you get when burning coleman fuel.
    What is white gas anyway?

Boolit Master

Google->wikipedia

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    What is white gas anyway?
    Attachment 199397
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know the exact formula, but it comes in an expensive can.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

It's Naptha.

Boolit Bub
    I've been using my old Coleman double burner propane stove that bounced out of the bed of my pick up and looks so ratty I didn't mind assigning it lead duty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I don't know the exact formula, but it comes in an expensive can.
    /\ that's the most succinct description of Coleman fuel I've ever read /\

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had a new green deluxe 2 burner I bought about 10 years ago for a hunting trip n never used. I went through 16 to 20 cans of the lil green tanks at $6.32 a pair from Walmart to smelt the last two weeks. I'll never be eating off that stove again. lol

I can tell you it gets way hotter than the stove in my house. Lead will instantly oxidize so I have to play with the adjustment knob a little to play with the heat setting.

I might have to break down and get an electric lee melting pot for bullet making and use the Coleman strictly for smelling only.

Boolit Master

OK I'll bite- my local gas station has one grade of non-ethylonol, 91 octane., of course-no lead. Will this stuff burn clean, tank after tank ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    OK I'll bite- my local gas station has one grade of non-ethylonol, 91 octane., of course-no lead. Will this stuff burn clean, tank after tank ?
    YES, in a duel fuel stove in which one of the acceptable fuels is gasoline. And just for the record, the octane rating isn't remotely relevant for that type of use.

Banned
    "I had a new green deluxe 2 burner I bought about 10 years ago for a hunting trip n never used. I went through 16 to 20 cans of the lil green tanks at $6.32 a pair from Walmart to smelt the last two weeks. I'll never be eating off that stove again. lol"
    You can get a adapter for your large propane tank to fill the little green ones. Freeze the little green tank for at leas 1/3 hour first (helps you get more propane in it), have the big tank upside down connect the 2 tanks and open both valves. when the little one is full shut them of and repeat. Much more economical. There a videos on youtube and I got my adapter at amazon

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    Each State has it's own rules and laws about gasoline additives. I can only assume that NY's gas laws are same or similar to MN. There are other additives besides ethanol. With that said, In Minnesota, the only automotive Gasoline with no ethanol, is the Premium 91 octane that is labeled "Non-Oxygenated", we do have Premium 91 Octane gasoline that is Oxygenated with the addition of ethanol, I don't use that.

That is why I stated in my previous post, what I use is Non-Oxy pump gas. I've burnt many gallons of that Non-Oxy pump gas in several stoves, for brewing beer, canning garden produce, as well as smelting lead and making wax fire starters...and never had a problem of clogging a generator. I use it in the older standard coleman gasoline camp stoves. I don't know when Coleman came out with the dual fuel stoves? but all the coleman dual fuel stoves I've seen were painted grey, none of mine are painted grey and none of them have any indication that they are dual fuel.

Now when you say burn clean? I will say burning pump gas gives a yellow flame (at low settings) instead of a blue flame. and even at High settings, there is a yellow tip on the blue flame. I assume those are the additives? and they will soot up the bottom of the fry pan/smelt pot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

When we were kids (early 60's) I remember several gas stations had pumps marked 'White Gas'. Used to fill our Coleman cans up with it. I think it was around 20 cents a gallon. They gave you a trading stamp too! Tulsa gas station trading stamps purchased a lot of camping / fishing gear for us.

Boolit Master
    I've always believed that the duel fuel colemans meant coleman fuel and gasolene.
    Gasolene in europe = naptha or was.

The petrol you burn has some not so pleasant additives which may end up turning you into a pumpkin head.

It is advised to use down wind outdoors.

Ohh buy the way the only stove that will burn pre-mixed outboard fuel and still live long enough to work is the 80's style MSR yellow pumper XGK.

Ohh my ears!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You can get a adapter for your large propane tank to fill the little green ones. Freeze the little green tank for at leas 1/3 hour first (helps you get more propane in it), have the big tank upside down connect the 2 tanks and open both valves. when the little one is full shut them of and repeat. Much more economical. There a videos on youtube and I got my adapter at amazon
    Most of those tanks are designed and built for single use only and don't have the fatigue life to be safely refilled. I've seen more then a few disposable propane torch tanks that failed when people tried refilling them. Fortunately no one was injured.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kilosierra View Post
    Most of those tanks are designed and built for single use only and don't have the fatigue life to be safely refilled. I've seen more then a few disposable propane torch tanks that failed when people tried refilling them. Fortunately no one was injured.
    "disposable propane torch tanks", these are the most fun 'plinking targets' for large bore revolvers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    How do they fail? I have refilled mine dozens of times ( back in the day) and the only thing that goes bad is the relief valve used for venting sometimes will not seal properly then I have to throw them out to pasture. Maybe I will see more than a few failures if I fill 1000s of them.

We sell the refillable tanks now so I don't have to mess with the disposable ones any more. I like even better using the bulk adapter to connect to the #20 pound tank.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I live in Northern Indiana Amish country and still buy "white gas" from the pump!

Lucky me!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    How do they fail? I have refilled mine dozens of times ( back in the day) and the only thing that goes bad is the relief valve used for venting sometimes will not seal properly then I have to throw them out to pasture. Maybe I will see more than a few failures if I fill 1000s of them.

We sell the refillable tanks now so I don't have to mess with the disposable ones any more. I like even better using the bulk adapter to connect to the #20 pound tank.
    Cracked down the side like these scuba tanks. https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictur...cylindersx.jpg

Boolit Master
    Cracked down the side like these scuba tanks. https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictur...cylindersx.jpg
    Seriously? You are comparing low pressure thin wall tanks to high pressure scuba tanks. They are worlds apart on so many levels. Of course you will find fatigued scuba tanks if you work at a testing facility.
    First you were talking about disposable propane tanks then changed to a totally different genre. I want to see a picture is a fatigue cracked propane tank. And I don't mean something from a house fire or been shot with tannerite under it either.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12