Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who hunts with cast HP?

yeah, that's what I was thinking, wheres the rest of the boolit? that percentage is supposed to be what held together, not the little pieces that remain! lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Coachcusak

Only testing with your load will tell you whether seating the GC below the case neck adversely affects accuracy. Can you seat so the case mouth is crimped just under the drive band in the first lube groove (will the aol allow feeding)? There is proof the bullet can be severely damaged. From the NRA cast bullet handbook;

Attachment 199645

Two 311284s. One seated with GC inside neck and the right one seated below. The damage to the right bullet is self evident.

Another thing that may be adversely affecting accuracy is the velocity is too fast for the 10" twist of your rifle. You will probably get better and more consistent accuracy with that load under 1940 fps. I have killed numerous deer with the 311041HP out of 10" twist rifles with a velocity of 1900 - 1940 fps. I set my own max range at 150 yards for that load.

I also suggest a bit softer alloy than Lyman #2. While #2 alloy will certainly kill the deer the HP will probably not perform as desired. I suggest for your hunting bullets mixing your #2 alloy with 60 - 70% pure lead. Let the bullets AC for 10+ days before sizing, loading, etc. Clean the barrel every 8 rounds or so to maintain best accuracy. That alloy will expand very nicely in deer. That's only for the hunting bullets. For your practice bullets I would mix the #2 alloy 50/50% with pure lead and WQ to harden the bullets. I size, load, etc. those after 48 hours of age hardening.
    IT appears in the photos that that test was done without a GC on the right hand boolit, if you look there is damage right on the very base that wouldn't have happened if it had a gas check on it. are you sure it didn't come of upon firing, due to a loose fit or something??

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I consider that bullet failure.
    A perfect mushroom?

I've dropped whitetails with nosler ballistic tips that shedded their lead from the copper jackets...and the jackets were in pieces . I found The empty copper cores on the opposite side of their hides. I consider this bullet failure but they dropped deer where they stood. The soft devistators stayed together and mushroomed as they were designed. I am trying some ACCOWW GC PC, 2% pewter added, with a BH of 14.3 tomorrow through water jugs again at the same velocity just for giggles.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-29-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Attachment 198983

I think this is the pic... finally

This was shot with the 308 custom HP from NOE... number 2 alloy... about 35 yards... actually, my backup shooter was disappearing with only but and elbows showing when I shot him... kinda spooky in heavy brush... lol.. but when you remove the hair, head and claws, they don't look so tuff...lol
    Sir which Noe mold did you use for the 308 ?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I tried the accoww that measure 14.3 BH devistors today. I shot through 8 water jugs and it kept going. I found one of the hp pedals laying on the ground close to the third jug. The softer 7.5bh caught in the 4th jug. I think we will use the harder alloy this weekend for bear hunting. Probably won't make a big of a hole bit will definitely get an exit.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-30-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    A perfect mushroom?

I've dropped whitetails with nosler ballistic tips that shedded their lead from the copper jackets...and the jackets were in pieces . I found The empty copper cores on the opposite side of their hides. I consider this bullet failure but they dropped deer where they stood. The soft devistators stayed together and mushroomed as they were designed. I am trying some ACCOWW GC PC, 2% pewter added, with a BH of 14.3 tomorrow through water jugs again at the same velocity just for giggles.
    There is no weight left for penetration. That would be fortunate to get through the hair, hide, and fat on a bear to reach the vitals.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Makes sense. 14.3 BH I think is a little too hard though after water jug testing. I'm going to cast up some 50/50 with a little tin and try again.

Boolit Buddy
    What size do the 44 devastator drop from the mold. Like to try some in my marlin

that's gonna vary a little bit from mold to mold, in my experience, they usually drop .001-.002 over advertised, but not always I don't have that mold, I am speaking of molds, lees especially, in general

Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    What size do the 44 devastator drop from the mold. Like to try some in my marlin
    Don't know, I run them through my .430 Lee sizer and GC them at the same time...after I PC them. A good amount of resistance when I'm sizing them.

What dose your bore slug at?

Boolit Grand Master

My 16-1 Devastators drop at .4315. Those of COWW + 2% tin then mixed 50/50 with lead drop at .432.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    My bore slugged out about .430 or a little over. Cast
    430 are terrible my noe molds drop .432 to .433 gcd they shoot great.

It's great to see folks spending time on hollow point interests and having fun, but I'd have to ask "WHY"?

My 30-30, 45/70, .38/.357 , .44 Spl, and .45 Colt flat nose fodder at moderate velocity and proper placement always seemed to work for me, with leading never an issue.

I guess this old toot is getting lazy, wanting to dink around less and shoot more.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234