Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Dealing with RCE

Dealing with RCE

So I don't know the whole story between the Corbin brothers, and I don't really care to know but lately when I have been emailing Richard Corbin of RCE it's been a lot of "You should buy my press And then buy my dies, you'll save a lot of money over Dave's dies, and Dave's dies really aren't any better for what your getting"

Even after admitting that if I was able to do it all over again I'd likely go with the smaller press and perhaps purchase more from RCE but I am already invested into the larger press with quite a few H-type dies. The response was "Sounds like you got taken by the bigger is better" and proceeded to tell me how much money I could save by switching over and that I should buy a second press from him and by all RCE dies.

My first email was simply to inquire if his set of draw dies would work with my current Mega-mite press.

Now, I've done business with Both the Corbin brothers, and I know in many ways when it comes to the hobby and small scale bullet making business they are considered somewhat of the experts. However I'm a little disenfranchised by both and lately with RCE. I am sure his intentions are good, but I'm on a budget. I'm not looking to invest a ton of money into more swaging equipment and I am happy with what I currently have. So I find it annoying to the point where I'm almost thinking I don't want to do business with RCE anymore.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

Boolit Buddy

We've heard this tale over and over again with Richard which is a shame. I patronize David; his stuff works and is delivered promptly. I only waited 3 months for a very involved jacket drawing set up that included 3 calibers. David isn't cheap, but then neither is a Rolls Royce. If you want the best, and in a reasonable time frame, there is only one option if you ask me. Richard has his fans here, but the reality is he is a one man band, not a shop full of tool and die makers. That's the only way you can get stuff that cheap. I tried to order some wire from Richard once, never did get what I wanted. Gave up, bought a Hydro, and now make wire for other people including myself. Perhaps I'm jaded!

Happy Swaging!
    Zbench

Glad to know I'm not the only guy. I just found it really odd, and wasn't sure if I perhaps said something or I caught him on a bad day. Typically my email correspondence between my self and him hasnt been so....."preachy"

Boolit Buddy
    Dave all the way. I recently called with a question. He called me back within an hour and said he was sorry it took so long but he was at the Shot Show. He was very helpful, nice and even took my order. I couldn't even get a phone or email respone from Richard
    Domari Nolo

The one time I contacted Richard he sounded very bitter when I asked if Dave's dies would work in his press. It was as if he had never heard of his own brother. Every time I have called Dave Corbins operation, I speak with Dave. He is very congenial and tries to help in any way he can.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I had an issue a few years ago, where i sent Richard an email to purchase a package he had, And ordered a point form die... And a few weeks later someone on here posted they bought the package.... Apparently his email system wasnt working... ???? Other then that, Ive had no issue with his product or time frame on dies.... Where as when i was getting into serious swaging in 2002 Dave Corbin quoted me a 3 year wait on dies, but if i wanted to pay double, i could have the dies in 3 months... So i bought the RCE Hydraulic, Walnut Hill and the die sets from him...

Boolit Buddy
    I have had not had any problems with Dave C. He knocked out a draw / trim die for me and a couple of punches for different jacket lengths. I have had a few issues with these and Dave asked me to send them back to check them out. He is a salesman but backs up his product. He has always done right by me.

Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

I used to buy lots of RCE stuff. Then orders and payments started going missing. Reminders didn't help much, but the stuff finally got made and delivered after three years. After that I went with another diemaker and have had nothing but excellent service. After a few years I decided to check the RCE site and see if anything was different. He had installed a payment system and streamlined the ordering procedure, so I ordered a tip closing die, sent the samples, etc. That was over a year ago and NOTHING has happened. It is, in my opinion, a waste. Here is a guy who makes top notch stuff and you can't get it. At least he didn't steal money . . . .

Boolit Master

I wish some enterprising machinist and swager would begin making Walnut Hill dies to Richards specs. I'm glad I bought lots of his dies when I could get them. I think he's just slowing down. I believe he is my age (75). Even if he really wants to continue, we can probably only expect 10 more years. I have used just about all the systems out there and prefer Walnut Hills over all the others. I only have one more set on order from Richard (a .257 set). It's been 2 1/2 years. When it comes it comes. Then I will have just about everything I want.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I wish some enterprising machinist and swager would begin making Walnut Hill dies to Richards specs. I'm glad I bought lots of his dies when I could get them. I think he's just slowing down. I believe he is my age (75). Even if he really wants to continue, we can probably only expect 10 more years. I have used just about all the systems out there and prefer Walnut Hills over all the others. I only have one more set on order from Richard (a .257 set). It's been 2 1/2 years. When it comes it comes. Then I will have just about everything I want.

Bob
    I remember a machinist who could make bootleg dies, but you had to send an original, but I think he couldn't deliver and took very long time to return your original, if at all. Unless the dies are patented, someone with a set of dies could
    make a working drawing just to see how involved the dies are.
    Just a thought???.
    Bill

Boolit Master

There is nothing complicated about Richards design. The die body is just a rod threaded 7/8-14. Technique for making the hole in the die is the same as for making all Swage dies. External punches are simple and I have been making my own for years. Internal punch design is a little tougher but duplicating a punch to work with the Walnut Hill press isn't difficult. My little 10x24 Logan just isn't rigid enough to hold the tolerances to make anything but external punches, plus I don't have the skill needed.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    You want to see Richard get mad? Or hear it?? Not sure he will take my calls any more...

Call and ask if he would be interested in selling out and selling the Co.??? That was interesting - What will happen when these two Co.s Gents are gone???

I would love to support Dave but the cost....the time....I still cast for that reason and still trying to sell off all the swaggin stuff we got 10 years ago....

Boolit Buddy

Not sure what Richard's legacy is, but Corbin manufacturing led by Dave will be around for years to come. He has a very capable and talented Production Manager named John Watson who I recently coordinated with on the draw set I purchased. The wait is small, weeks for normal stuff, a few months for custom stuff. The last time they made a draw set for heavy .093" strip was 5 years ago. It was done and delivered in less than 3 months. You can always complain about cost, but I think the value is excellent when you look at the quality delivered.
    Zbench