WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Broken shell in Rossi M92 .357 short carbine

Boolit Master

Broken shell in Rossi M92 .357 short carbine

Decided to use up some part boxes of .38 special laying about. Factory federal, no problem. Saeco 162 gr./6 gr unique, no problem.
    358429 170 gr swc/11 gr 2400 gave a broken shell, then an incipient break. I stopped shooting that load then. The break was about 3/8 forward of the rim.
    The load was put together in 1989, for S&W .38-44 heavy duty and Outdoorsman revolvers, using RA60 military brass. Never a problem in the revolvers.
    A .44 brass brush pushed out the broken shell, but I cut it to length to fit the 92 action beforehand.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi M92 sitting on my bench with half of a .38 case stuck in the chamber. Son was using it and said he was shooting a friends reloads. He told me he had shot half a box and then one round kicked like a 30/30 and then nothing else would chamber so he brought the rifle home for me to look at. I'm guessing a double charge (these were supposed to be 3.5 gr of bullseye with a 150 gr jacketed bullet). Half of the case is really stuck. Tried all the simple ways to get it out. Was going to try cerrosafe today...

Pretty strong little carbine. He had also been shooting some of those in my wife's .38 S&W Airweight.. Glad that round found it's way into the Rossi and not the S&W.

Boolit Master
    Arlon - if it had not come out on the down stroke, my plan was to pull the 44 brush back into the chamber broken shell, so the bristles were pointed the other way, for greater grip, give the thing a squirt of break-free, and try to push it out. If your chamber is ringed, you are SOL until rebarreled.
    I thought of trying to get ahold of it with a tap, but there isn't room unless you take the whole thing apart. Let us know what the results are.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Buddy
    I had something similar happen to my contender 7-30Waters rifle I could not get the other part of the cartridge out. Someone here in this forum recomended cerrosafe. It worked just fine. It made a chamber cast with it and when pushed with the rod, it came along with the 7-30w broken case out.
    Camba

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I have a Rossi M92 sitting on my bench with half of a .38 case stuck in the chamber. Son was using it and said he was shooting a friends reloads. He told me he had shot half a box and then one round kicked like a 30/30 and then nothing else would chamber so he brought the rifle home for me to look at. I'm guessing a double charge (these were supposed to be 3.5 gr of bullseye with a 150 gr jacketed bullet). Half of the case is really stuck. Tried all the simple ways to get it out. Was going to try cerrosafe today...

Pretty strong little carbine. He had also been shooting some of those in my wife's .38 S&W Airweight.. Glad that round found it's way into the Rossi and not the S&W.
    Reloading lesson #35,729....... always try to choose a powder with a charge weight that fills more then half the case. Little chance to double charge.

I keep a spring hook in my shooting gear.

Using it, it's very simple to insert it into the chamber & catch the case mouth with it.

Once the case is pulled very little, it usually falls the rest of the way out on it's own (I point the bbl "up").

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Kroil and tight fitting patch, pushed a case separation, out of my Marlin 1894 carbine.

Winelover.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the headspace on that Rossi. I had one where the barrel was one thread from being screwed in all the way.

12 pieces of scotch tape on the rim of a case before the lever wouldn't close all the way. It absolutely trashed brass on magnum loads (case failures and debris in my face) and standard 38s had a 5% chance of case head separation by the 2nd reload. The lever was sloppy when closed and the loop would hit the tang rather than having an eighth inch gap between the loop and tang. The gap between the barrel face and the bolt face was almost two 38 special rims thick, rather than being exactly 1 rim thick.

Rossi replaced it after a 6 or 8 month wait with a rifle that headspaçes correctly and feeds correctly and now I can shoot full power magnums without having case head separations or ruining brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post

There is a good lesson there. Never shoot any one's reloads but your own.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Yes, my son now understands why I have preached that to him for 20 years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Arlon - if it had not come out on the down stroke, my plan was to pull the 44 brush back into the chamber broken shell, so the bristles were pointed the other way, for greater grip, give the thing a squirt of break-free, and try to push it out. If your chamber is ringed, you are SOL until rebarreled.
    I thought of trying to get ahold of it with a tap, but there isn't room unless you take the whole thing apart. Let us know what the results are.
    I ended up taking the gun apart (not a big deal with the Rossi) and going from the back. Still a brass brush wouldn't move it so I tried and OLD GI steel 45 brush that has been in my junk drawer for 30 years. It was strong enough to do the job. I was afraid of scratching the chamber but it doesn't appear to have been an issue. It took a vise and some pulling but it did come out.

No obvious damage or any indication of a barrel damage. I guess the Rossi is a tough little gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1974.jpg  

Love my little 357 - glad you got your case remains out.
    Especially now that it's so quiet
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    HELL NO!!! dont put anything steel in there - you will stuff the chamber
    This is easy - take a piece of brass welding rod - hammer the end out to a flat point (might need to file it a little) then you just drive your brass chisel in under the bottom edge of the broken shell - far enough to buckle it up - remove the chisel and the piece of shell falls out back into the action - cant believe that guys use or recommend to use anything that will scratch the walls of the chamber -- ok YOU might (might is a big word here) be careful enough to do it without damage - nine guys out of ten are going to scar the chamber of their rifle ....................................

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    HELL NO!!! dont put anything steel in there - you will stuff the chamber
    This is easy - take a piece of brass welding rod - hammer the end out to a flat point (might need to file it a little) then you just drive your brass chisel in under the bottom edge of the broken shell - far enough to buckle it up - remove the chisel and the piece of shell falls out back into the action - cant believe that guys use or recommend to use anything that will scratch the walls of the chamber -- ok YOU might (might is a big word here) be careful enough to do it without damage - nine guys out of ten are going to scar the chamber of their rifle ....................................
    I have to agree. The only steel that should be in the barrel is at the factory when it gets reamed and rifled. After that, I would have to think long and hard before I put anything steel in my barrels. Glad it worked out for you though.

Banned
    mnewcomb59 - good point. Excessive headspace will cause that problem. When I read the OP, that was my first thought.

While it's entirely possible for a hot load to separate a case, excessive headspace will exaggerate the issue.

On a related note, I had a Rossi 92 and once I got the action cleaned up it was a great rifle! The outside looked good but the inside was apparently machined with rocks and broken files ! OK, maybe not rocks but it was pretty rough inside.
    Once I smoothed the action that rifle was a dream.