WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric shot dripper

Boolit Master

Electric shot dripper

I picked up one of the 5 hole pans off ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/lead-shotmak...8AAOSwNnRYgW89
    Picked up some drippers as well and want to use it indoors. I do cast boolits in my reload room, yes I have a powered vent.
    I did try a 208 volt stove top element with 120 volts applied but it did not get hot enough. However I did not have a reflector under it. Wife is out for the day so I tried the stove top and at 1/2 heat it did melt lead.
    Now 1/2 heat is not 1/2 power, the control is cycling the power from full to none at a 50% rate. So next step is to get a reflector and try my element and see if it will melt, might have to insulate the element as well, we shall see.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I can't help you with your quest but that "my wife is out for the day" has gotten me in trouble many times.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

No worries digger1, what she dont know she cant yell at me for.
    Now on to the good news, it worked, well melted lead and dripped!!!
    The element is a 1130 watt 208 volt stove eye element, the small one. I am using 120 volt to power the element. Use about 20 layers of Alu foil for insulation, will get real high temp insulation at work. It did take a good bit to melt and did not do well around the drippers. I used a propane torch to get things going and lead started dripping from all 5 holes. This was just a test for electric heat and it does work. My water bucket was way to far away so all I got was "swan" shot but it look good to me at this point.
    For my 1st try I say I won, just have to refine things and I am off to the races!!!

When I get things going well I will get some pics up, hope for a video.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Anyone ever considered taking a cheap lee melter and pull the rod. Install a dripper in the bottom hole?

Boolit Bub
    I've considered it, but never tried it. I built my own bottom pour pot to avoid the cost of a lee pot. Would be interested to see if it could be done though. I imagine results would change as the level of the lead changed. Most shot drippers are wide but shallow.

glad to hear it worked, just work out the bugs and make some shot

Boolit Master

Did another "test" with the bucket filled with 50/50 antifreeze, I know it should be pure.
    Got the level close to the bottom of the lip of the pan. Still got some "swan" but got some round that looked good.
    All in all I am making what looks like .090 or #8 shot. Still no pics, sorry.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

change the 50/50 like you said , sounds like you'll be there shortly , will keep an eye out for more of your progress

You need to have no more than a 1/4" drop to the coolant. Good luck it works for me.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    You need to have no more than a 1/4" drop to the coolant. Good luck it works for me.
    I was closer than that, as the shot fell the level of the coolant started to rise and was touching the ramp.
    Still working out the bugs for using one of my bottom pours to keep the small pan full. I am doing this indoors so I have to be careful not to make a mess.
    So just one step at a time.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

If it touches the ramp it will cool the ramp or super heat the coolant. You need to have an overflow container so the coolant spills out of what the shot drops into. Next you will find the coolant gets to hot and you will get snowflakes. This will require some means of cooling the coolant. There is other threads on how to make it work. Learn by doing and share your results with the rest of use. Good luck

Boolit Master

Well I won, made some shot that just might work, need to get it sized somehow.
    I know I can get screen of diff sizes but that can wait till latter. Here are some pics,
    the drippers are .020.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shot 1.jpg   shot 2.jpg   shot 3.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master

That is about 5 Lbs in close to 30 mins. That coolant is from wally world, the cheap stuff.
    This is more of a test to see if I could do this inside with house power and small bit of gas heat. I do use
    a Mapp torch(yellow bottle) to keep the flow going. Guys it can be done in side this winter.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Great results, Looks good

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Well I won, made some shot that just might work, need to get it sized somehow.
    I know I can get screen of diff sizes but that can wait till latter. Here are some pics,
    the drippers are .020.

Great job Red, I need to get mine set up too. Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice vintage L. S. Starrett box I see on the counter, what was the tool it contained? Looks to be some type of caliper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Great job Red, I need to get mine set up too. Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice vintage L. S. Starrett box I see on the counter, what was the tool it contained? Looks to be some type of caliper.
    It still has a 0-1 inch mic. Making shot is a labor of love, yes we could buy it. Local gun shop has some, MidSouth is about an hour away, being able to make your own is priceless!!!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Good job. I don't worry about size. It all shoots good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    Good job. I don't worry about size. It all shoots good.
    Yes my shot does shoot well, got out today, loaded up my 12ga muzzle loaded. 2 drams of powder, thick felt wad, store bought shot cup and an over card. At about 30 feet it spread close to 4 feet, nice and full with no open areas.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master

Made some more today, came out just like first batch just made more, about 20 lbs.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master

well done, keep the reports coming

Will you ever go 220V?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast