Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on .357 Magnum boolit mould for S&W 686

Boolit Master
    I have both 686 and 568 bith shoot the less 358156 fine if you want something without the gas check.the lees 358125 RF is good .I have both Noe 360180 and 360160 and they both shoot well.And jusr to let you know the NOE 5 hole molds are a bit heavy for me.if this is something you are worried about get one of the 3 or 4 hole a little less stress on your hands.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all - great info!

Banned
    I love the OLD Lyman 358156 but would be afraid to buy any new Lyman product.
    I have good luck with the LEE 6 cavity TL358-158SWC and 358-158-RF powder-coated for volume casting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I love the OLD Lyman 358156 but would be afraid to buy any new Lyman product.
    I have good luck with the LEE 6 cavity TL358-158SWC and 358-158-RF powder-coated for volume casting
    I think an old Lyman may be the best place to start. But I like the look of those NOE hollow point moulds.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
    I think an old Lyman may be the best place to start. But I like the look of those NOE hollow point moulds.
    That would be a good choice. The 358156 was my first 38/357 back in 1971 , and it's still hard to beat .
    That design in an NOE mould with HP , cup point and flat point pins would be just the ticket. Talk about versatility !
    I love the way you can get a multi-cavity multi point mould now...sure speeds production.
    Lyman's HP's were one cavity and production was slow...but we didn't have much to do back then so it didn't seem to be an issue .......my how things have changed .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-08-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Depends a ton how you shoot or plan to shoot. I'm a casual shooter, not a competitive shooter, have a wife and kids that like to shoot, have other hobbies... I have a lot of molds (lyman, RCBS, LEE). I don't firewall anything. I mostly shoot a K-38 but have a lot of other revolvers from SW Air Weight to Registered Magnum. My favorite bullet is turning out to be a LEE 158gr tumble lube SWC bullet. The mold was cheap, I got a six cavity mould with handles for about $50.. I got a pint of X-lox and some pastewax/mineral spirits and mixed up a tumble lube for them. I cast a jillion bullets from range scrap or anything else I can scrounge cheap. I can cast a LOT of bullets in an hour with that mold. There are more accurate mold for sure but I'm not a bullseye shooter (well, I like Bullseye powder). These work fine. I have to consider the WHOLE picture.

Wednesday I took a hundred .38 rounds with this bullet (load with 3.2gr of Bullseye in .38 spcl) and my K38 to the silhouette range and knocked down everything within 75 yards with boring regularity. Then I went after the 150 turkey and hit it about 2/6 the 4 misses were close misses. I had a blast, didn't spend much time or money. That worked for me. AND I didn't have to do more than wipe the soot off the gun.

I have other molds I like but if could only have a single mold for the .38/MILD 357. That's what I'd roll with. Have lubesizer, GC molds etc, just don't use them much anymore in .38/357..

Really, it depends so much on how you value time, money and what you expect from the bullet. I'm a plinker so it's easy for me to figure this one out.
    Last edited by arlon; 07-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.

I have eight different 35cal moulds and three 9mm moulds that can be used in 357mag or 38spl loads. (I know, overkill) they range in weight from 105gr. to 240gr. My favorite is the Saeco #62358 RNFP (I can't tell it apart from the Lee 158 RNFP looking at them) and it doesn't beat the Lee 158 SWC by much. Gp

Boolit Bub
    I was able to find this "new old stock" Lyman mould for $40. I'll start with that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	199438

Name:	lyman2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	199437

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman 357446,358156,358156HP,and the 358429 molds in .357 Magnum.I must be lucky as I have been using Lyman molds since the 50's without any problems.I have a few Lee molds in odd calibers such as .41 Swiss but don't care for them although they do work.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't used a NOE mold in a 357 but my 30 cal is great. Also, I don't think you would go wrong with Mehec's 359640 mold if he has one in stock. I like mine.

The 358156 is one of my favorite bullets and they shoot great out of my 38/357s including 686. I bought this mold within the last year, dual cavity and it is spot on with no alignment issues or undersized bullets. Lee makes a good CHEAP mold but if you're in it for the long haul, I'd put the money you'd waste on the Lee toward the Lyman which will serve you a lifetime. Buy once, cry once.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was able to find this "new old stock" Lyman mould for $40. I'll start with that.

You'll have a very hard time finding anything better!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Very good deal! I'm envious.

Boolit Grand Master

SWEET !
    You got a nice one in good shape....now, get to casting !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    It is from 1976. Brand new old stock. The grease on the screws is almost harden. Will be casting soon.

Boolit Master

I too endorse the LYMAN #358156. I bought my 1st 2cav in 1975. I'd used it growing up, my DAD had been casting them since the early fifties. A Ray Thompson gascheck design that has been made by LYMAN since that time. That 2nd crimping groove allows you to seat the bullet farther out to increase case capacity. Skeeter Skelton advocated this with 13.5grs of old 2400 as a way to shoot magnum loads in the cheaper more readily available .38spl brass. I did this alot because 38spl brass was still a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER (usually free) back then. Now that brass in once again easy to find it's a moot point. I have a pair of 2cav molds & a 4cav. And they all cast beautiful bullets.

And that **** you hear about LYMAN molds being junk is PURE ****. Their customer service may have gone to H**L but the guys making the molds are still doing good work. I bought a 1cav #458643 & 4cav #358665 in January that cast beautiful round bullets. Then a 2cav #311252 that drops perfect little jewels. I have a 4cav # 429667 on order with GRAF & SONS right now.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

[QUOTE=Walks;4106603]I too endorse the LYMAN #358156. I bought my 1st 2cav in 1975. I'd used it growing up, my DAD had been casting them since the early fifties. A Ray Thompson gascheck design that has been made by LYMAN since that time. That 2nd crimping groove allows you to seat the bullet farther out to increase case capacity. Skeeter Skelton advocated this with 13.5grs of old 2400 as a way to shoot magnum loads in the cheaper more readily available .38spl brass. I did this alot because 38spl brass was still a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER (usually free) back then. Now that brass in once again easy to find it's a moot point. I have a pair of 2cav molds & a 4cav. And they all cast beautiful bullets.

What he said: Lyman 358156

Boolit Bub
    I have had good results with Lyman 358156 in an S&W Model 19. Cast of lino and sized to .358".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12