Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: PC 311-165 RD without changing ogive size

PC 311-165 RD without changing ogive size

I was just reading another thread where it was said that if you PC the 311-165 RD it changes the Ogive size enough to make it
    difficult to work properly in a Marlin 30-30.
    Is there an easy way to keep the PC off of the ogive when you are coating them?
    I seem to remember seeing some PC'ed boolits the other day that only had PC on the lower portion. I am now thinking that was what they were trying to accomplish by PC'ing that way.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Crimp grove is the other problem, related to seating depth. When done properly it shoots very well. One solution is trimming brass so the seating depth and crimp are in the correct place. Others seat deep and don't crimp. PC on the ogive requires seating deeper. It shoots best when touching the lands but on a hunt I had to ramrod the jammed round out to unload, a couple times, boolit wasn't PCd. COAL also affects loading, large meplat can get hung. If it works in your rifle, great, otherwise a PITA.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Shake and bake powder coated Ranch Dog 165s with aluminum gas checks sized to .310 work fine in my Marlin 30-30.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

I had none of the problems you mentioned.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Hopefully I don't have any issues with it since a couple of you guys were successful with it. If I do Popper gave some good advice on what to look for and possibly overcome it
    Thanks for the input from everyone.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Mold
    I bought the range dog mould specifically for my Marlin Xlr 3030. Unfortunately my new rifle seems to have no throat at all and this round will only chamber if seated .15 inches below the neck leaving the base exposed to powder and therefore effecting accuracy.

This is my solution, not the RD but close (185gr GC). Use a fender washer reamed & polish to just size the ogive a tad. Getting seating where it should be cuts group size in half.
    Attachment 199750
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    why can't you just powder coat the bottom where the rifling meets it?

Boolit Master
    Some, but not all of these problems might be cured by making sure that the cases have all been trimmed to proper length. There are slightly different factory case lengths and differing rates of case stretch based on case alloy, neck thickness and rifle chamber size. This may be preaching to the choir, but perhaps not in some cases. Just trying to help. GF

Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    Not real hard, float the powder on warm water and dip the back half in. Not as easy as shake and bake but still way faster than lube sizing.

Cook em', shove thru Lee sizer (if necessary) and good to go.
    It was a pic of your PC'd boolits I was referring to. I will try doing that and see how it goes.
    Thanks for the info.

or try this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	199868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redneck 35.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	199869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	199870

I just turn em upside down in my spraying tray. I call em , Redneck bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    or try this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	199868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redneck 35.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	199869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	199870

I just turn em upside down in my spraying tray. I call em , Redneck bullets.
    I just do the shake and bake method.
    But that would work if I was setup for spraying PC. Those look great.

Boolit Master

Another solution is having the throat reamed. I have had this done on a number of Marlin's as their throats were almost non-existent. Accuracy was much improved and no need for rifle specific CB loads. It is too easy to destroy accuracy by not having proper chambers, IMHO, while a simple and cheap fix is available.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar