WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Accurate 5744 pricing

Boolit Buddy

Accurate 5744 pricing

I attended a gun show over the weekend and picked up a pound of Accurate #9 for 20 bucks, which I thought was a decent price. I have been wanting to try Accurate 5744 but no one had any. I swung by my local gun shop (who generally has good powder prices) and left with a some 5744 at $32 for a pound. Did I get hosed or is 5744 normally that much more expensive than #9? If that price was OK, what makes one that much pricier than the other?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I attended a gun show over the weekend and picked up a pound of Accurate #9 for 20 bucks, which I thought was a decent price. I have been wanting to try Accurate 5744 but no one had any. I swung by my local gun shop (who generally has good powder prices) and left with a some 5744 at $32 for a pound. Did I get hosed or is 5744 normally that much more expensive than #9? If that price was OK, what makes one that much pricier than the other?
    Nope it is expensive....last time I picked some up was 4 yrs back and it was 8 pounder cost me close to 200$ At dealers cost.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It been between 29 and 35 dollars for about 10 years

Boolit Grand Master
    Precisely why I stocked up on 4759 at half the cost per lb. when it was being discontinued. It does the same thing as 5744 with a bit faster burn rate. They are unnecessarily proud of 5744 in regards to pricing IMO. For current lower cost substitutes look at 2400 or 4227.

Boolit Master

There is a new powder out made by www.shootersworldsc.com it is called "Buffalo" DO60-01 that is suppose to be very close to 5744. It cost me $25 out the door at the last gun show and I saw a #8 jug for $150 I didn't buy that but sure thought about. I have shot some just substituted the Buffalo in place of the 5744 and the results were very good I thought seemed to shoot cleaner and the accuracy was the same if not better than 5744. I have not had a chance to really work with it much as the weather has been anything but cooperative lots of snow and cold and when it does warm up a bit the dang wind blows like crazy. Global warming I guess but when the weather gets back to more normal temps I will give it a better workout.